Author Topic: Cavendish to retire soon?  (Read 38488 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Cavendish to retire soon?
« Reply #50 on: 29 June, 2021, 10:05:54 pm »
Well yes, I had noticed that, but...you know...sour grapes and all that.    I'm delighted for him. Quite humbling to see his humility too.

:thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #51 on: 30 June, 2021, 05:41:47 pm »
With my Mystic Meg Flatus hat on, I predict that he won't win another stage this year.
(click to show/hide)
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #52 on: 30 June, 2021, 05:46:50 pm »
With my Mystic Meg Flatus hat on, I predict that he won't win another stage this year.
(click to show/hide)

Don’t tell us, tell Cav :)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #53 on: 30 June, 2021, 05:52:52 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Don’t tell us, tell Cav :)

I'm sure he uses YACF as recreation between stages...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #54 on: 30 June, 2021, 06:09:44 pm »
My prediction is that he won't finish the tour

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #55 on: 30 June, 2021, 07:15:03 pm »
My prediction is that he won't finish the tour

I think he'll stay as long as there's half a chance of keeping the snottyjumper, but if that gets out of reach, he'll leave.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #56 on: 30 June, 2021, 07:31:54 pm »
I think he'll stay if Alaphilippe takes it back, or anyone in the team has a shot at it.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #57 on: 30 June, 2021, 07:44:56 pm »
I'm not saying he'll leave by choice, I'm thinking that it is a long time since he has raced at this level...let alone for 3 weeks. If he makes it to Paris I will be delighted, but I'm not expecting it.

citoyen

« Reply #58 on: 30 June, 2021, 09:07:39 pm »
I'm not saying he'll leave by choice, I'm thinking that it is a long time since he has raced at this level...let alone for 3 weeks. If he makes it to Paris I will be delighted, but I'm not expecting it.

Yes, I concur.

« Reply #59 on: 30 June, 2021, 11:25:55 pm »
Has he got his ticket for the Autobus?

« Reply #60 on: 01 July, 2021, 06:55:13 am »
Has he got his ticket for the Autobus?
All the sprinters have.

« Reply #61 on: 01 July, 2021, 09:00:35 pm »

« Reply #62 on: 01 July, 2021, 09:09:00 pm »
Thing is, he's got Alaphillipe pulling for him. He's got Sagan off form, and the three best sprinters (Groenewegen, Bennett, and Caleb Ewen) aren't there. Under those circumstances he may bag another one as long as this weekend's mountains don't destroy him.

It's great to watch him, though, and an absolute delight to see not only his joy, but his humility.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #63 on: 01 July, 2021, 09:30:44 pm »
Thing is, he's got Alaphillipe pulling for him. He's got Sagan off form, and the three best sprinters (Groenewegen, Bennett, and Caleb Ewen) aren't there. Under those circumstances he may bag another one as long as this weekend's mountains don't destroy him.

It's great to watch him, though, and an absolute delight to see not only his joy, but his humility.
Thats the thing isn’t it. He’s destroying those last 100m or so, and no one is able to touch him. But he’s under,no illusion that he’s only in a position to do that because the people around him are making sure he’s there. And he’s happy to acknowledge  that publicly which means the people around him are more likely to make the effort again to put him in that position tomorrow.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #64 on: 01 July, 2021, 09:48:05 pm »
I'm absolutely certain that this won't affect the way they ride, but if another non-legend upstart sprinter should pip Cav at the line, I don't think they'll necessarily receive the accolades they deserve from the pundits and media.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

« Reply #65 on: 01 July, 2021, 10:57:38 pm »
Thing is, he's got Alaphillipe pulling for him.

Not to mention Ballerini and Morkov. Not exactly Tony Martin and Mark Renshaw, but very strong riders none the less. And it's been fantastic to see them absolutely busting a gut for Cav. You can see just how much he appreciates it - in his humility, like you said, but also in the massive grin plastered across his face. It's such a joy to see him really enjoying his racing in a way he clearly hasn't for years. And like he said in his interview, the wins come as a result of him being happy.

« Reply #66 on: 02 July, 2021, 08:54:49 am »
Ha! You lot are still coming out with predictions. I do hope you're not betting types as you've not been very successful so far!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #67 on: 02 July, 2021, 09:00:30 am »
If he doesn't win another stage, just rewinding the clock has been fun, and you can see how much Cav is enjoying it. Yesterday's win making it 50 Grand Tour stage wins is another great achievement.

OTOH, he looks to be the fastest finisher still in the race, and has probably the best lead out team at the tour, so he's still in with a good chance yet.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

citoyen

« Reply #68 on: 02 July, 2021, 09:04:39 am »
I'm waiting to see where he is after the next three stages before making any predictions.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #69 on: 02 July, 2021, 09:33:36 am »
Ha! You lot are still coming out with predictions. I do hope you're not betting types as you've not been very successful so far!

Fortunately I never bet on anything!

« Reply #70 on: 02 July, 2021, 09:49:33 am »

After Caleb Ewen abandoned all bets were off

« Reply #71 on: 05 July, 2021, 07:52:32 pm »
It's not a prediction, even less a betting proposition, just a romantic wish for a fairytale finish, but I would love him to equal Eddy's record on the Champs Elysées and win the green jersey (and for Eddy to be there to be there to present the jersey would be the top). Then go on to win Paris-Tours and he won't have had a bad season; I would be happy for him to stop there.

« Reply #72 on: 05 July, 2021, 08:01:41 pm »
^ ^ I'd be happy with that. ^ ^
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #73 on: 05 July, 2021, 08:09:43 pm »
If it is going to happen it has to be this year. Provided he can survive Wednesday, and the Pyrenees  he's in with a chance because so many of the people who could get in his way aren't there.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #74 on: 05 July, 2021, 08:22:02 pm »

Doesn't it come across then as "He only won cos ... crashed"

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/