Author Topic: People over 90  (Read 10514 times)

Re: People over 90
« Reply #25 on: 08 December, 2020, 06:15:47 pm »
Mel Brooks (1926) added.

« Reply #26 on: 08 November, 2021, 09:28:12 am »
Deaths:

Quinton Claunch (1921 - 2021) US musician, record producer, Sun, Hi, Goldwax.
https://acerecords.co.uk/news/2021/quinton-claunch

Lionel Blair (1928 - 2021)

Igor Oistrakh (1931 - 2021), Russian violinist

Stephen Sondheim (1930-2021) US composer

I should add more people who were born in 1931.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #27 on: 28 November, 2021, 08:39:16 pm »
Mikhail Gorbachev (born 2 March 2021)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #28 on: 28 November, 2021, 09:00:41 pm »
Mikhail Gorbachev (born 2 March 2021)
I think he looks a bit older than that.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 04 December, 2021, 09:09:13 pm »
Leonard Barden is 92. Chess correspondent to Graun, FT and, formerly, (Evening) Standard. He retired from the last almost 2 years ago after something like 63 years of writing a piece for them every day. Last week, he wrote the obituary to his old friend and rival Jonathan Penrose, who was 88. He still writes a remarkably good article.

I played him once (about 1977 I think), which is why I have a Morphy Number of 4 (he's one of the very few people left alive with a Morphy number of 3) and had a very nice natter to him on another occasion when he wanted to talk about my daughters' progress as players, since they had both won adult tournaments the previous weekend and he had been impressed with their results. Since the 1970s he has kept a database of junior results and was the main driving force in England winning the silver medals in the Olympiad about 30 years ago, when he launched an intensive training programme for our best juniors, sponsored by Jim Slater.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 04 December, 2021, 09:32:07 pm »
Morphy number?

Also, isn't your dog called Morphy?
 :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #31 on: 04 December, 2021, 09:55:35 pm »
Morphy number?

Also, isn't your dog called Morphy?
 :D

He was. He's been dead for 3½ years. No prizes for guessing why I named him thus!

Edit: are you not confusing Morph with Morphy? The latter has an extra chromosome... ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morphy_number#Morphy_number_3

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 04 December, 2021, 10:27:22 pm »
I wasn't actually confusing Morph with Morphy; nor with Morphx!

That Wiki article doesn't explain the main thing we need to know: why is Morphy so important that he has a numbering system based on him? (Yes, I could just google him, but that doesn't stop it being a failing of the article which one sentence could solve: I'm guessing something along the lines "Morphy was the first recognised World Champion, receiving the title in 1874".)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #33 on: 04 December, 2021, 10:36:05 pm »
OK.

International anything didn't exist until there was a sufficiently reliable transport system to take people about. Morphy, born in New Orleans, came to Europe and beat every one of the strongest European players except English player Howard Staunton, who carefully avoided playing him. World Championships didn't exist then, but by the 1890s, they did. Hastings 1895 was probably the strongest tournament ever held at that time, thanks to the existence of a workable transport network. I would think that there have been relatively few occasions since then that pretty well all the best players in the world have turned up at the same event.

Morphy's playing career was remarkably short, but he played some absolutely wonderful games. He was head & shoulders above the rest in terms of his understanding of the basic principles and is generally regarded as the first unofficial World Champion, but his career lasted barely more than 3 years. Whilst, obviously, there were very good players before him, he was the first intercontinental player and he beat everyone. He then went quietly mad and died in a mental institution whilst not very old. He is known as "the pride and sorrow of chess".

So, arguably, "modern" chess started with Morphy and has grown ever since.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: 04 December, 2021, 10:46:43 pm »
I didn't know about Jonathan Penrose.

All my Dad's mates are popping off at a rate of knots.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #35 on: 04 December, 2021, 11:01:21 pm »
Sorry, Helly. LB wrote a cracking article about him.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/dec/02/jonathan-penrose-obituary

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #36 on: 08 December, 2021, 07:33:28 pm »

Visited my parents today.

Told Dad about Jonathan.

Dad said he learned an amazing work ethic from J. Dad had some chess advantage over J at one point. Dad treated chess as a game. j, with his amazing memory, stayed up all night, recalling each move and devising strategies to prevent future defeat. He became a champion by a combination of HARD work and retentive memory. Dad tended to coast, in comparison.

Mayer Hillman phoned while I was there. Seems he'd missed JP's obituary as there was one day last week when his Guardian was not delivered. I said I'd email  him.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #37 on: 08 December, 2021, 08:25:35 pm »

Duly forwarded to Mayer and Dad, two members of the UCS gang of six from 1948...

« Reply #38 on: 11 December, 2021, 09:46:16 pm »
Margaret Keenan aged 91, first became famous at 90 as first person to get the covid vaccination outside a clinical trial. 

Has continued to do her bit over the past year by appearing in the media cheerful and healthy. Even just walking down the road in Coventry she gets recognized as such.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #40 on: 11 December, 2021, 10:31:59 pm »
Leonard Barden is 92. Chess correspondent to Graun, FT and, formerly, (Evening) Standard. He retired from the last almost 2 years ago after something like 63 years of writing a piece for them every day. Last week, he wrote the obituary to his old friend and rival Jonathan Penrose, who was 88. He still writes a remarkably good article.

I played him once (about 1977 I think), which is why I have a Morphy Number of 4 (he's one of the very few people left alive with a Morphy number of 3) and had a very nice natter to him on another occasion when he wanted to talk about my daughters' progress as players, since they had both won adult tournaments the previous weekend and he had been impressed with their results. Since the 1970s he has kept a database of junior results and was the main driving force in England winning the silver medals in the Olympiad about 30 years ago, when he launched an intensive training programme for our best juniors, sponsored by Jim Slater.

I played Rowena Bruce (nee Dew) at a chess congress in Plymouth in 1988, she won her first British women's title in 1937, the men's winner that year was William Fairhurst (MN3).
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #41 on: 12 December, 2021, 01:08:25 pm »
As noted in another thread, Dervla Murphy was 90 last month. 

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #42 on: 05 March, 2022, 03:23:28 pm »
Ernesto Colnago - born 9 Feb 1932.

« Reply #43 on: 23 August, 2022, 10:48:13 pm »
Bernard Cribbins (1928 - 2022).

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #44 on: 24 August, 2022, 07:44:00 am »
June Spencer has recently retired at the age of 103.
She played the same role in the Archers from its first episode in 1951.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #45 on: 24 August, 2022, 11:29:11 am »
If we're doing soaps, Ken Barlow (William Roach) is 91, and still going strong.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #46 on: 24 August, 2022, 04:42:37 pm »
Leonard Barden was 93 last Saturday.

« Reply #47 on: 24 August, 2022, 06:48:23 pm »
Is this indicative that if someone has sufficient ( probably significant) funds to be well looked after in old age they’re likely to last longer?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #48 on: 31 August, 2022, 10:54:19 pm »

« Reply #49 on: 22 September, 2022, 09:22:30 pm »
Jean-Luc Godard (1930-2022)

Is this indicative that if someone has sufficient ( probably significant) funds to be well looked after in old age they’re likely to last longer?

I think also having a career/jobs that they actually wanted to do.