Author Topic: Which next drill  (Read 3552 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: Which next drill
« Reply #50 on: 20 April, 2021, 02:55:08 pm »
I've been doing a lot of work offsite without mains hence the 5ah seemed like a good idea.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #51 on: 20 April, 2021, 03:19:58 pm »
I got an Erbauer drill with two 5aH batteries because at the time it was cheaper than the pack with two 4aH.

And recently got both the bare circular saw and jigsaw.

I think the batteries are both still on their first charge and I've had them a wee while albeit not loads of use.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #52 on: 25 August, 2021, 01:18:35 pm »
I see Lidl has some DIY tools, including a drill, going on sale this weekend.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/c/diy/c2014/w2

Whilst the drill seems reasonable at £19.99, once you add a 2Ah battery and charger for another £19.99, that's a minimum of £39.98 which isn't too bad, but isn't the dramatic bargain it may appear at first.

2Ah batteries at £12.99 and 4Ah batteries at £24.99 seems to favour buying several 2Ah ones rather than the 4Ah. The slight premium cost is probably worth the ability of being able to charge a battery whilst using another and the lower weight.

You can fairly easily find rechargeable drills on Amazon (and elsewhere) for a similar price, albeit extra batteries and other tools that use the same battery probably aren't as easily available.

There are a few other Lidl tools which use the same battery being sold at the same time; orbital sander, pressure washer, pruning saw and sabre saw, but nothing too exceptional.

The drill seems reasonable, and comes with a case and handful of bits (probably quite low quality), but I'm not a drill connoisseur and not really qualified to comment much upon the specifications.

Thoughts?
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #53 on: 25 August, 2021, 02:51:55 pm »
2Ah batteries at £12.99 and 4Ah batteries at £24.99 seems to favour buying several 2Ah ones rather than the 4Ah. The slight premium cost is probably worth the ability of being able to charge a battery whilst using another and the lower weight.

This is my take on tool batteries, too.  There's a lot to be said for light weight, especially with something like a drill where you're likely to use it one-handed.  The calculus may be different if you're planning for a lot of off-grid use, where smaller batteries mean you have more batteries to faff with.

The thing that puts me off Aldi/Lidl tools is that you're unlikely to be able to buy replacements in future.  I had a cheap Aldi oscillating tool that was perfectly good but took some weird proprietary battery that was never seen again, and died after a couple of years of light use because it lacked any cell balancing.  Needless to say, the battery pack was glued shut.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #54 on: 25 August, 2021, 03:08:53 pm »
The Germans now have a standard for batteries for tools. You can swap batteries between tool manufacturers and you can even have 3rd party batteries. Brilliant.
Unfortunately so far mainly only German companies are signing up for this led by Metabo.

https://www.cordless-alliance-system.com/

I doubt that Makita etc will sign up unless the EU force it as once you have propriotary batteries it locks you in to that brand.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #55 on: 25 August, 2021, 09:07:57 pm »
Compatible tools and batteries do seem to recur rather than being one-offs, and there are scalpers on EBay that usually have stock, though expect to pay a fair old premium.

There are 3D printed battery adapters now which make both the batteries and tools less of a lock-in.

The tools themselves seem to be of reasonable quality. I have an Aldi drill, multi tool and jigsaw and they all still work.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #56 on: 25 August, 2021, 09:42:21 pm »
The Germans now have a standard for batteries for tools. You can swap batteries between tool manufacturers and you can even have 3rd party batteries. Brilliant.
Unfortunately so far mainly only German companies are signing up for this led by Metabo.

https://www.cordless-alliance-system.com/

I doubt that Makita etc will sign up unless the EU force it as once you have propriotary batteries it locks you in to that brand.

Maybe time for a letter to Makita customer service... Maybe they'll make a CAS adaptor.

This evening we had an engineer here to fix the lift. He didn't want to go all the way down to get his drill, so I lent him mine, He was surprised by how well it went through the steel, even with the 15mm HSS drill bit.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #57 on: 25 August, 2021, 09:55:34 pm »
Maybe time for a letter to Makita customer service... Maybe they'll make a CAS adaptor.

If they don't I'm sure some enterprising Chinese company will...
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #58 on: 03 September, 2021, 01:00:46 pm »
CAS seems like a very obvious idea, but whilst there are over 20 companies signed up to this at the moment, none of them seem to be dramatically big, although I do recognise a handful of the names.

I did also come across a guy on eBay who seemed to be making custom adapters between various brands of battery and devices. Although CAS wasn't explicitly named, there is a Metabo one, so possibly that's effectively a CAS compatible adapter.
Actually, it is rocket science.