Author Topic: New combi boiler with Alexa skills - recommendations  (Read 1596 times)

New combi boiler with Alexa skills - recommendations
« on: 22 April, 2021, 05:11:18 pm »
Looks like I might be shopping for a new 30kW gas combi boiler.
I use Alexa home automation which I like.  The guy at HEat for Homes seems to be OK, and said 'Google Nest' when I asked about automation.
I guess if I go with them I'll get whatever brand of boilers they favour.
Is it the thermostat part which is the wireless/Alexa controlled bit?

Boiler had its fill loop replaced today (which was leaking). It is still wildly fluctuating on pressure -starts hot water then it runs cold.
Heating circuit is working OK.  This points to the pressure vessel failing?  I don't know if I can be bothered paying for a new pressure vessel
if the whole thing is not going to last...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: New combi boiler with Alexa skills - recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2021, 06:17:31 pm »
AIUI controlling a boiler is just a case of closing a relay, so anything should work with whatever Internet of Shit™ gadget you like.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2021, 06:43:20 pm »
Yes. Get a decent brand of boiler and they can connect whatever up to it.
Don't forget that certain CH engineers/companies get benefits from certain companies, so get what you think is best based on your own research (which may involve here, of course).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2021, 06:53:43 pm »
I think they all support Alexa/Google these days, there's not much to do, make it warmer or turn off/on. We have Hive, no issues with it, does what I need and works via the box on the wall, phone app, watch, or voice. The thermostats connect to most boilers, they're fairly standard.

Davef

« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2021, 07:31:53 pm »
The two main smart thermostats are hive and nest. I have tried both and prefer hive* and it works well with Alexa.

As others mention water and heating are controlled by switches so a simple relay will do if you feel you don’t need a thermostat. I had a setup with Lightwave at one point.

* Partly because I can talk to it in c++.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2021, 07:58:25 pm »
The two main smart thermostats are hive and nest. I have tried both and prefer hive* and it works well with Alexa.

As others mention water and heating are controlled by switches so a simple relay will do if you feel you don’t need a thermostat. I had a setup with Lightwave at one point.

* Partly because I can talk to it in c++.

Another vote for Hive -  I looked at Nest but it didn't seem to have the flexibility of Hive and, as usual, Mr Google thinks he knows best . . . which isn't what I want.  Worcester Bosch seems to be THE boiler brand of choice.

« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2021, 06:52:07 am »
Agree with Worcester Bosch

« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2021, 07:24:09 am »
We have a Hive connected to a boiler that's at least 20 years old - no issues. Will be looking to replace the boiler later this year, but we're assuming we can simply transfer the thermostat over and will be prioritising reliability over smartness.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2021, 07:43:31 am »
We had Hive connected to a boiler that was at least 35 years old. It had to go before it blew up. It is now connected to a Boschter Woosh. Instead of all the kit in the cellar, where it gradually rusted away, it is now in the bike store Plant Room.
It is simpler than it looks.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 23 April, 2021, 08:11:30 am »
We have a Hive connected to a boiler that's at least 20 years old - no issues. Will be looking to replace the boiler later this year, but we're assuming we can simply transfer the thermostat over and will be prioritising reliability over smartness.

Should be no problem - we moved house and simply swapped over the stuff (although we did go from combi to CH+HW separately so needed a new Hive box next to the boiler)

« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2021, 08:50:36 am »
I am getting a quote for a new Worcester Bosch boiler today. I'm told ballpark is 2K pounds, does this sound reasonable?
Also they say 50 pounds per metre for a new flue pipe. Seemingly it is forbidden to reuse the one in place at the moment.

« Reply #11 on: 26 April, 2021, 10:20:00 am »
That does sound reasonable to me but it is a little while since we had a refit. I think there have beeen big changes in rules on flues over the years.

Make sure the condensation pipe is properly insulated as this is the biggest problem with modern boilers in the winter.

ian

« Reply #12 on: 26 April, 2021, 10:50:24 am »
The rules on flues change about every year. We bought a brand new house some years back and two years later had to have someone come and make holes in the wall and fit little doors so the entire length could be inspected.

Fortunately, new houses are made out of cardboard, so it was less effort than it sounded.

Davef

« Reply #13 on: 26 April, 2021, 10:50:52 am »
I am getting a quote for a new Worcester Bosch boiler today. I'm told ballpark is 2K pounds, does this sound reasonable?
Also they say 50 pounds per metre for a new flue pipe. Seemingly it is forbidden to reuse the one in place at the moment.
I think it is recapturing heat that would have gone up the chimney is a large part of efficiency. The double walled  flue is an active part of that recapture. Efficiency is now compulsory.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 26 April, 2021, 03:27:44 pm »
That does sound reasonable to me but it is a little while since we had a refit. I think there have beeen big changes in rules on flues over the years.

Make sure the condensation pipe is properly insulated as this is the biggest problem with modern boilers in the winter.

Too f**king true, as we found out in the Beast from the East a few years ago. I'm not convinced insulation would stop a condensate pipe from freezing if extreme cold is sustained.

Central heating that can't cope with cold is ridiculous really.

« Reply #15 on: 26 April, 2021, 04:30:57 pm »
Thankyou all. The quote was for 2600 quid Arrghh., but I went for it. The firm seem reputable and they are doing it in one day on Wednesday.
Time for a luxurious hot shower!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #16 on: 26 April, 2021, 08:26:09 pm »
Thankyou all. The quote was for 2600 quid Arrghh., but I went for it. The firm seem reputable and they are doing it in one day on Wednesday.
Time for a luxurious hot shower!

Dad was that when the previous WoosterBish died mid January a couple of years ago.
The two predecessors lasted between 10 and 15 years, which is annoyingly just longer than the warranty if you keep getting them serviced (And well past it if you don't)
and before that it was basically hopeless storage heating and coal fire.

I'm fairly sure the one here was not services by the previous owner, I really should get someone out to do it as I think it's 6 or 7 years old...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 26 April, 2021, 08:47:24 pm »
Looks like we paid £3660 for our boiler & work 4½ years ago.