Author Topic: What tool to score a tiled floor?  (Read 2494 times)

Re: What tool to score a tiled floor?
« Reply #25 on: 17 July, 2021, 08:15:03 am »
SBR / primer is brilliant stuff , sticks like shi?te to every thing . Un like PVA even alleged waterproof stuff  it never breaks down with damp , moisture or steam . Using a  PVA primer for screeds or tiling  should be consigned to the history books . This broken, knackered  builders leg stuff must be catching . I am off work for four to six weeks
Shredded gastrocnemius muscles Doc says , its only been 2 days and I am bored stiff .   
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul  three wheels Nurses !!!

road-runner

• Currently in Slovakia
« Reply #26 on: 03 August, 2021, 09:43:56 am »
A quick update as I am sure some of you may be curious to see how it turned out. Here is one half of the fully angle-ground floor. It's an L shape so I can't show it all in one photo.

The builder's merchant has not heard of SBR but he knows what works so I ended up with Heatmix Multi Contact which is described as a specially modified paint, based on an aqueous dispersion of acrylate copolymers, filled with silica sand.

Here is the other leg of the L-shaped area.

Yesterday our builder came on his first day back at work and laid the self-levelling layer. Because we are at ground level we were told to use a cement-based leveller, not plaster-based. He started in the toilet area ...

... and finished by the front door. The floor has plenty of time to dry as the flooring company can't come until the end of the school holidays (because it is busy fitting school floors until the end of August).

It turns out the flooring company doesn't prepare floors, it just lays them, so the advice we got from them is out of date. The builder's merchant and our builder both echoed what canny colin said. My work was described as pointless. Still, pointless is better than a mistake that needs repairing or replacing. All is well. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

And can I ask, how is your leg doing, canny colin? Are you getting near to when you can walk and work again?

« Reply #27 on: 05 August, 2021, 01:28:32 pm »
Looking good road-runner . I am sure that primer is available over here from a well respected Italian tile adhesive manufacturer & it is spot on . The leg is getting a lot better thanks for asking , still hobbling about . But I am enjoying laying on the sofa with frozen peas on my leg watching the Olympics. It's just hard to keep away from the biscuit's .       
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul  three wheels Nurses !!!

road-runner

• Currently in Slovakia
« Reply #28 on: 15 September, 2021, 06:22:06 pm »
Okay, the final chapter of this episode.

The flooring company said that the self-levelling cement was not smooth enough so our builder chap came yesterday. This new layer is Mapei Planiprep.

I had an hour to sand it before the flooring company arrived and vacuumed up the dust I had created before laying the lino.

Commercial grade lino is reassuringly thick.

The finished floor.

« Reply #29 on: 15 September, 2021, 06:51:12 pm »
Looks really good. Although I have found this thread quite painful. The original photo shows tiles that seem very similar to the ones I laid in our kitchen some significant number of years back, and are still doing good service. I was quite proud of the result. I will not be inviting road-runner round to our place to score our tiles any time soon ;)