Author Topic: Wetsuit  (Read 4743 times)

Re: Wetsuit
« Reply #25 on: 11 August, 2021, 01:21:32 am »
I found my ex-caving wetsuit (4 mm) OK in -2 sea (slushy), for 15 mins anyway

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 11 August, 2021, 01:44:49 am »
Off to teh north (Yorkshire) and the sea - expect my daughter will go in for a swim (we got a wetsuit from someone else hand me down).
I am thinking I could do with a wetsuit as I generally feel the cold - but expensive and lots of options and most places won't deliver in time.
Advice would be good

Stay out of the sea. It’s too bloody cold up there. (“Icebergs in Scarborough Harbour” as my FIL opined)

Stay out of the sea anyway.  Remember what WC Fields had to say about water?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #27 on: 11 August, 2021, 09:26:01 am »
Alpkit are doing wetsuits. They look like quite a good design.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 11 August, 2021, 09:59:00 am »
Remember what WC Fields had to say about water?

What the fish get up to in water is a lot more savoury than what Southern Water do to it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #29 on: 11 August, 2021, 09:50:29 pm »
Thanks for all the helpful feedback (and to you too Mr Larrington) I know what I need (but will see how it goes without first).
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #30 on: 12 August, 2021, 01:02:36 pm »
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #31 on: 13 August, 2021, 12:05:36 am »
Ta.  Went to Droitwitch Spa Lido today, so fucking cold we will probably avoid the north sea (even armed with a wetsuit for my daughter).

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 23 September, 2021, 08:18:28 pm »
I'm considering buying a wetsuit. I've done more sea swimming this summer than I ever have before - 4 or 5 times a week since early June I reckon. Might be a slight exaggeration but not much.

I'd like to continue as long as possible but I don't want to start relying on a car to get me to the beach. It's about 4 kilometres from my house to the two beaches I use most.

Is it possible to cycle in a wetsuit? Or desirable?

Some of my swimming companions use large personal tents called "Moonwraps".

I've been losing weight for a long time. I'm hoping to continue to do so, although I've been stuck around 96 or 97 kilos for about 2 months. I don't want to shell out on a wetsuit and then find in a few months time it's too big.

TIA!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #33 on: 23 September, 2021, 08:27:48 pm »
Cycling in a wetsuit is likely to get you too hot quite quickly.

I have cycled in a wetsuit. I had no hood, and no gloves on. It was snowing. I remember thinking how odd it was that I was lovely and warm all over, and snowflakes were melting on my nice warm hands. In those conditions, in water, I would have been hypothermic quite quickly.

You might be able to put on the trousers and leave the top off, or tied around your waist.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

citoyen

Wetsuit
« Reply #34 on: 24 September, 2021, 08:10:17 am »
I have a Dryrobe, which is basically the same thing as a Moonwrap. It’s an absolute godsend for changing after swimming when it’s cold, especially if it’s also windy. It is rather bulky but I would highly recommend getting one if you’re planning on swimming over winter.

I’m in a similar position to you, looking at keeping up sea swimming over winter for the first time in my life. I actually have a wetsuit already but there’s no way I could fit in it right now. I bought it when I was 10kg lighter than I am now and it was a snug fit even then.

And I’m never going to lose 10kg before I need to use it again, so it looks like a purchase will be necessary. Damn.

Holding out for as long as possible though. Let’s see if I can last until November at least…

No idea about cycling in a wetsuit but it doesn’t sound like a great idea to me. You might have to give in and use the car. I’m about 6km from the beach. I would always rather cycle down for my swim but am realistic about what will be practical in winter.

« Reply #35 on: 24 September, 2021, 08:17:20 am »
Wow if you run in it as well it'll be a compressed triathlon

One of the giant towel robe things does sound like your answer if you can fit that and your wetsuit on or in your panniers. The SUP folk use them loads for changing

I'm also looking for a wetsuit as bought my last one having been unwell so when I got back to an healthier weight I was too big for it

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #36 on: 24 September, 2021, 11:13:42 am »
Several of my swimming pals have a Moonwrap or equivalent. I can easily bung one of those in my panniers. I think some experimenting with cycling in the wetsuit will be required. It's pretty well all downhill from here to the beach so that won't cause me to overheat. I wouldn't want to ride back again though.

There's a place in Rochford, about 3 miles from my house, who sell wetsuits and let you try them out in their infinity pool before you buy. I'm in negotiation with them and will make an appointment for next week.

« Reply #37 on: 24 September, 2021, 12:12:08 pm »
I wear lycra jogging bottoms under my wetsuit - makes it easier to pull on and off. Also means I can get out of wetsuit at beach without terrifying the sensibilities of the local wildlife.

Lycra cycling shorts would also be fine. There is no need to get nekked.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

« Reply #38 on: 24 September, 2021, 12:17:38 pm »
There is no need to get nekked.

As if Wowbagger needs an excuse!

« Reply #39 on: 27 September, 2021, 05:02:38 pm »
A wetsuit for swimming is quite different from a wetsuit for  other water sports (and more expensive). They need to allow movement around the shoulders. They have become far more common with increasing popularity of triathlon.

Decathlon do a reasonably priced range. If you are planning on carrying on thru Winter, when it gets cold cold in the winter alpkit do thermal winter ones or you can get underlayers. I am a big fan of Zone3.

citoyen

« Reply #40 on: 27 September, 2021, 05:41:25 pm »
Depends on what you want to do in the water, and how long you are planning to stay in. If you're just going in for a quick dip, any wetsuit would do. If you want to do proper swimming, then yes, you need a proper swimming wetsuit. If you need a wetsuit at all...

Wowbagger - well worth checking out Everyday Athlete Rach's YouTube channel, she has lots of great no-nonsense advice about outdoor swimming, especially this one about what to wear for swimming in winter (including whether or not you actually need a wetsuit):
https://youtu.be/YWaa1fJamlw
- as she says, neoprene boots and gloves might well be enough (also see what helly said upthread on this)

This one on the effects of cold water on the body (with proper science) is also very good:
https://youtu.be/ujnwW5qgFQ8

From my personal experience, I would also highly recommend earplugs - when I was swimming in May, I found the cold water sloshing around in my ears was giving me vertigo, so I got some earplugs and they made a huge difference. Earplugs also help protect you against surfer's ear.

And on that note, because it's high tide about now and I've finished work for the day, I'm off for a swim...

« Reply #41 on: 27 September, 2021, 06:37:36 pm »
When it gets colder (/December/January) most people will struggle to swim any distance not in a wetsuit. I swam through the winter last year and when it was down to 3 degree water temp, experienced swimmers could only manage a minute or two skins. In a wetsuit (and gloves and socks) I only managed one lap of the lake (c750m). You need to dry off quickly and get out of the wetsuit. I don’t think cycling back would be sensible. I was swimming over 30km a week during the summer so further than I was cycling !

citoyen

« Reply #42 on: 17 October, 2021, 03:52:21 pm »
Went for a swim with a local group today - nice to do it sociably for a change. One of them had a thermometer, which gave a reading of 13.2°C, which is less than what my usual source claims - seatemperature.org said 15.4°C, which is supposedly based on satellite readings.

I was in for 25 minutes without a wetsuit, which was pushing my luck a bit - was starting to lose feeling in my hands and feet by the time I came out. Really must start using the neoprene gloves again, and get some neoprene boots.

At the moment, I can’t really imagine what 3°C would feel like, but I’m going to see if I can push on through the winter, without a wetsuit as long as possible. The sea doesn’t usually get below 6°C round here, according to official figures.

« Reply #43 on: 17 October, 2021, 04:11:24 pm »
I swam in the sea a couple of times in the week at Harlech and it felt warmer than my local outdoor pool which is currently 14.8 and dropping ( they are going to keep at 12 ). I forgot to wear my watch so don’t have a reading from that. Different bits of sea are different temperatures but thermometers are often inaccurate.

I did swim at my local lake today which was 12 but that was in a wetsuit.

« Reply #44 on: 17 October, 2021, 11:15:47 pm »
@wow, you can get two piece wetsuits (separate top and bottoms) which might sort your issue in that you would only overheat your nethers when on the bike.

citoyen

« Reply #45 on: 05 December, 2021, 01:45:47 pm »
Went for a swim yesterday afternoon. No idea what the temperature was but it wasn’t warm.

Still getting on fine with just neoprene gloves and socks, but it’s getting down towards wetsuit temperature.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #46 on: 05 December, 2021, 05:27:33 pm »
I went in a few days ago. Air temperature 2°C, water 6°C. It was my new wetsuit's first outing*.

Despite wearing neoprene gloves, when I emerged my fingers were immensely painful with the cold. Curiously, my toes weren't. Couldn't make sense of that. I drove to my pal's house and picked her up, and then another pal was awaiting us at the beach. Before we went into the water, conversation was normal and measured. Afterwards, all we seemed capable of was guttural noises and "FAAACK! That was cold!" My two accomplices were not wearing wetsuits.

I think I might put a pair of Marigolds under the neoprene gloves next time. I have to say that I doubt that there will be many occasions on which those precise conditions occur this winter - we were in the water at about 8.40am. I suspect that the water was especially chilly after having crossed a mile or more of mudflats that had been close to 0°C all night. We were swimming about an hour before high tide, so I think it may have warmed up a little had we swum later. But my pal has this irksome thing called a Job, and she had an online meeting at 9.30, so we couldn't hang around. I don't think we spent much more than 5 minutes in the water.

*Because of a long delay between me paying for the wetsuit and it arriving, I had one on loan and used it two or three times. Last week's dip was a great deal colder than anything else I've faced. The previous coldest was 12°C for the water, about 10°C for the air.

Wetsuit
« Reply #47 on: 05 December, 2021, 06:07:41 pm »
I would advise against the marigolds as they make matters worse. They cut circulation, provide little or no thermal insulation.

Doubling up a with a bigger pair of neoprenes helps. When it gets really cold I wear neoprene swimming gloves with neoprene scuba gloves over the top. Doubling up with the feet works too.

citoyen

« Reply #48 on: 05 December, 2021, 06:15:30 pm »
I went in the afternoon, so the sea may have warmed up a few degrees by then over on this side of the estuary. I don’t think it was as cold as 6°C. It was a lovely day - clear skies, and not too windy, couldn’t pass up the opportunity.

There were a couple of sea birds swimming nearby. I’m pretty sure they were shags or cormorants. Must be fairly cold for them to be venturing this far south.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #49 on: 05 December, 2021, 06:25:05 pm »
Cormorants are permanent fixtures in the Thames estuary. In very cold weather they sometimes turn up in Priory Park.

We had some sanderlings running around on the beach near where we were swimming. Lovely little birds.

https://oceanwildthings.com/2010/01/sanderlings-always-on-the-run/