Author Topic: What tools would you take for DIY general fixing and building a gate.  (Read 1378 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
So  I'm going to do some random DIY and build a gate.  So was thinking:
  • Drill and drill bits
  • Cordless small angle grinder
  • Corded jigsaw
  • sliding mitre saw
  • Corded multi tool

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: What tools would you take for DIY general fixing and building a gate.
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2021, 03:38:40 pm »
What sort of gate? What sort of joinery/construction?

I'd always take a handsaw . . . and tape measure would be handy - as well as a square, spirit level, hammer . . . and you'll probably need a screwdriver (unless your drill has suitable bits)

Not sure why you need an angle grinder?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2021, 06:13:36 pm »
  • petril
  • matches
  • The Lighthouse Family*

* for kindling; optional
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2021, 06:36:29 pm »
Screwdrivers?

Welder?

No More Nails?

Some sort of sticking-things-together technology, as well as all the taking-things-apart ones, anyway...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2021, 12:12:01 am »
Carpenter.

« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2021, 07:10:22 am »
What you really need, is the one tool that you absolutely need but forgot and will have to go out to buy.

It really depends what construction method you're going to be using, along with the size of the gate and the precision needed. I would be very inclined to buy a ready made and adjust, either by cutting down with a hand or rip saw, or increasing the width by planting something on the non-hinge side.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2021, 08:12:51 am »
When I built the back-garden gate where we last lived I wasn't much into woodwork.  I had:

. handheld corded circular saw
. try-square
. roll-up steel rule
. 1-metre rigid aluminium rule/light sabre (put the bloody thing down, Fred!)
. Sandvik hybrid cross/rip handsaw (didn't do either very well)
. tenon saw
. mortise gauge
. orbital sander
. belt sander
. a few blunt chisels I didn't know how to sharpen
. a few screwdrivers
. a few clamps
. electric drill.
. a couple of light wooden trestles

Important point: if you build your own, don't omit a diagonal brace from the bottom hinge-side to top latch-side.  The professional who charged us 1000€ for new main gates 15 years ago said the sheets of ash he'd covered the backs with were enough, but with time and weather they split and the things sagged.  One of these days I'm going to jack them up and put in diagonals.  It's quite a big job so I'm waiting for dry weather when I'm not cycling and we don't need to get the car out - maybe in 2023.

Hinges: I used two-part pintle-type hinges because they're a hell of a lot easier to mount than "normal" hinges, and you can lift the gate off for repainting. If you want to stop some evil-doer removing it you can drive a round-headed or cheese-headed screw into the post just above one hinge, so that it can only be unscrewed with the gate open.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7 on: 23 August, 2021, 08:34:15 am »
Cramps
Bevel

Diagonals are a good idea IME. One of the last jobs on my barn conversion was making a 3m wide double gate.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #8 on: 23 August, 2021, 05:47:16 pm »
Scraps of wood to use as shims to support the gate's weight at the right height whilst you're faffing with hinge placement.
A pencil and/or permanent marker.
Suncream and/or insect repellant.
A bottle of water and a snack (because it'll always take longer than you think).

« Reply #9 on: 23 August, 2021, 05:57:18 pm »
What you really need, is the one tool that you absolutely need but forgot and will have to go out to buy.

It really depends what construction method you're going to be using, along with the size of the gate and the precision needed. I would be very inclined to buy a ready made and adjust, either by cutting down with a hand or rip saw, or increasing the width by planting something on the non-hinge side.
My bold.
The above post wins this thread.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #10 on: 23 August, 2021, 06:26:21 pm »
What sort of gate? What sort of joinery/construction?

I'd always take a handsaw . . . and tape measure would be handy - as well as a square, spirit level, hammer . . . and you'll probably need a screwdriver (unless your drill has suitable bits)

Not sure why you need an angle grinder?

Basically something like this

There are some tools there, such as hammers etc.

• petril
  • matches
  • The Lighthouse Family*

* for kindling; optional

Part of me wants to do that to the house.

Screwdrivers?

Welder?

No More Nails?

Some sort of sticking-things-together technology, as well as all the taking-things-apart ones...

Have brazing equipment there, but the mig welder might be too much. But have screwdrivers et al there.

Yeah I know that will happen tool wise.

Think that the gates size and hinge location mean cutting down a ready made gate maybe out of the question.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #11 on: 23 August, 2021, 06:31:54 pm »
When I built the back-garden gate where we last lived I wasn't much into woodwork.  I had:

. handheld corded circular saw
. try-square
. roll-up steel rule
. 1-metre rigid aluminium rule/light sabre (put the bloody thing down, Fred!)
. Sandvik hybrid cross/rip handsaw (didn't do either very well)
. tenon saw
. mortise gauge
. orbital sander
. belt sander
. a few blunt chisels I didn't know how to sharpen
. a few screwdrivers
. a few clamps
. electric drill.
. a couple of light wooden trestles

Important point: if you build your own, don't omit a diagonal brace from the bottom hinge-side to top latch-side.  The professional who charged us 1000€ for new main gates 15 years ago said the sheets of ash he'd covered the backs with were enough, but with time and weather they split and the things sagged.  One of these days I'm going to jack them up and put in diagonals.  It's quite a big job so I'm waiting for dry weather when I'm not cycling and we don't need to get the car out - maybe in 2023.

Hinges: I used two-part pintle-type hinges because they're a hell of a lot easier to mount than "normal" hinges, and you can lift the gate off for repainting. If you want to stop some evil-doer removing it you can drive a round-headed or cheese-headed screw into the post just above one hinge, so that it can only be unscrewed with the gate open.

Hopefully trestles are in France, as well as sanders.

Scraps of wood to use as shims to support the gate's weight at the right height whilst you're faffing with hinge placement.
A pencil and/or permanent marker.
Suncream and/or insect repellant.
A bottle of water and a snack (because it'll always take longer than you think).

Hopefully there will be no faffing with hinge location...
buy a ready made and adjust, either by cutting down with a hand or rip saw, or increasing the width by planting something on the non-hinge side.
My bold.
The above post wins this thread.

That would be the easiest but odd shaped gate.

« Reply #12 on: 23 August, 2021, 07:34:06 pm »
Whatabout  making it into a normal shape hole? If it's at the side of the house, plant some timber on for the hinge side, metpost for the open side and a bit of 4x2 across the top?

ETA - also, is it an odd size for the UK, or odd for France, too? (eg https://www.manomano.fr/p/portillon-wpc-100x170-cm-gris-18907196?model_id=18905198)

EATA - if you can carry one with you, these folk up the Sewardstone Road (used to be Woodford) are as cheap as chips and might make one to your size for not a lot ? they manufacture there. Don't expect the best quality.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #13 on: 23 August, 2021, 08:44:08 pm »
The gate is not at the side of a property, the gate is to the rear.  The mount is a concrete post, and I looked at getting and off the shelf gate but none that were in stock at the DIY places were the right size or had the transom pieces in the right places for the hinges.