Author Topic: Decent bistro near Covent Garden  (Read 846 times)

Decent bistro near Covent Garden
« on: 21 September, 2021, 04:00:19 pm »
I'm sure there are a million places near CG, but I don't mind a short walk to find somewhere that isn't a) a chain and b) extortionate. I'm meeting someone for an early dinner, so any recommendations? Most cuisines are fine, although my friend is Spanish, so no tapas places, please.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Decent bistro near Covent Garden
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2021, 05:35:44 pm »
Mildreds. Lexington Street.
Vegetarian.
It's been there forever.
And the food is great.

ETA - I think they're actually vegan these days.

« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2021, 06:41:01 pm »
Not a Bistro, but My Old Dutch in High Holborn is fun. Mon Plaisir in Monmouth Street is has been there for yonks and is (was?) always consistent, although on the spendy side. Despite that area being very much my stamping ground at one time my knowledge isn't current so I can't really recommend much.

« Reply #3 on: 21 September, 2021, 06:43:37 pm »
Not a Bistro, but My Old Dutch in High Holborn is fun. Mon Plaisir in Monmouth Street is has been there for yonks and is (was?) always consistent, although on the spendy side. Despite that area being very much my stamping ground at one time my knowledge isn't current so I can't really recommend much.
I met Wowbagger, Zipperhead and others at My Old Dutch a couple of years ago.
It was a good hit then.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 21 September, 2021, 07:53:51 pm »
^ I have been there too, with some or all of those people  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #5 on: 21 September, 2021, 08:06:47 pm »
I'm faintly surprised and rather pleased that My Old Dutch is still a going concern. It was, erm, a long time ago when we used to go there. Also the Hare and Tortoise (always the Hairy Tortoise to us) in the Brunswick Centre (though it's now on the other side of the cinema).

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2021, 08:12:36 pm »
^ I have been there too, with some or all of those people  ;D

Me three

« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2021, 08:16:07 pm »
A quick google suggests My Old Dutch is “temporarily closed” so worth a phone call beforehand.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #8 on: 21 September, 2021, 08:49:21 pm »
I think when I glanced at their website to verify the fact they're still going it says they reopening on 8th October.

I remember when there used to be one on Ealing Broadway. But that was so long ago that there were also brontosauruses on Ealing Broadway.

« Reply #9 on: 22 September, 2021, 07:20:45 pm »
Thanks everyone...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.