Author Topic: Removals firms  (Read 1537 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Removals firms
« on: 28 September, 2021, 09:18:53 pm »
It looks like we are moving house soon, for the first time in a few years. We used to use "men with ven" type setups between various flats, but I think we have a bit too much furniture / tat for that now.

I've seen that some "proper" removals will pack all your stuff for you as well as lifting and shifting. Is this likely to be worth the extra?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

ian

Re: Removals firms
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2021, 09:40:22 pm »
Stand back, I'm about to gush. Yes, yes, yes.

Not cheap, but they packed up our four-bedroom, three-floor house in two hours, a process that would have taken us a month and fifty-two arguments about why are we keeping that? Had either of us stood still long enough, we'd have probably been wrapped, boxed, and labelled too.

Left to our own devices, we're still unpacking nearly eight years later.

« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2021, 12:22:49 am »
We moved house earlier this year and tendered quotes from "men with ven" as well as major companies offering a full service. 

Given the painfully slow conveyancing we ended up packing some of the contents ourselves and then suddenly found that we had to move out sharpish.  We ended up with little option but to opt for whoever had availability to move us on the day of completion.  These men had quite a big, but not huge "ven", and somehow managed to get all the stuff we'd packed and an awful lot we hadn't, safely to our new gaff 200 miles away for £814 which was a third of the cost quoted by the national companies.  https://www.robinsontransport.co.uk/
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2021, 05:55:46 am »
Whilst the people I’ve used have not been quite as fast as Ian’s :) I’d still recommend the approach. They came the day before the move and left us with essentials like beds, sofa, chairs and a kettle and then came back and finished the next day. We opted not to have them unpack at the other end so they moved boxes and furniture into the right rooms. Plus if they pack they’ll also insure against breakages.

Round here they’re still busy so I’d start enquiring now to check availability; if you know a target completion date most will take a tentative reservation for “the last week in October”.

« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2021, 07:42:08 am »
It looks like there's close on unanimity from those that have used that type of service: again, yes. Having stuff packed for you is the only way to fly.

It is interesting how many small family businesses exist in that category, or at least, back in the day when I was running my own IT business and developed an unintentional vertical market in removal companies through recommendation. I suspect that while some may have disappeared, many remain as attested to by the vans you see.

What I learned, which will come as no surprise, is that not all companies are the same, a minority are best avoided. You might think, "no shit, Sherlock" but when you consider the nature of the business is to provide a one-off service, it takes the responsibility and consideration you can find in a small family company to maintain a high level of service. True, the Internet has changed much since then but the choices are likely to remain the same, especially since so often it comes down to calling around to find a company with availability. Either pay a premium and go for one of the big companies, or identify a small company with a good reputation ideally through personal recommendation, but possibly through review sites.

I was able to avail myself of insider knowledge when Mrs Ham & I moved to Ham Hall, 23 years ago. Somewhat amusingly the chosen removal company we used underestimated the amount of crap two people in two 2-bed flats+ 2 garages could accumulate. (ans: 1.75 pantechnicons), but performed the service with good humour, none the less.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2021, 08:00:46 am »
Ditto on getting the packing done - we moved in Feb 20 and had the removal company pack what they described as "fragiles and kitchen" - so pictures, ornaments etc plus everything in the kitchen/utility room - as well as dismantling and rebuilding a run of semi-fitted (expensive!) wardrobes. 

In the event they did pack more than that as the chaps had some spare time on the packing day and were beyond super-helpful.  Most of the packing was done on the Friday leaving us with the bare essentials for the weekend, loading the rest on Monday morning. 

We were fortunate that the transaction was the middle of just 3 with our purchaser living in a hotel and our seller buying a deceased estate property - thus all the money/completion stuff was done and dusted by about 1100 on the Monday.   The arduous journey across town, approx 1.3km, and unloading started at about 1145 and completed by 1530. 

====
I should add that I knew the removal company as they had supported the MacRide Events I ran a few years ago - they provided transport for the "Tour" events . . .  packing 140 bikes in a furniture van!  (Every bike with a blanket over it, stacked head to tail on two decks in the van - perfect)

ian

« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2021, 09:46:53 am »
When we moved the last time around (to our second house) we'd had a bad man-and-van type removal experience (basically they tried to stiff us with the need for another van on moving day, which seemed like a well-rehearsed scene, we hardballed on that so let's just say they were less inclined to treat our stuff with care after that).

This time around we used a local(ish) firm (Barry and Robert, we had Rob) – they should be willing to come around and go through what's required before quoting. We had several come around and quote, ended up with two, and turning down one of them actually made me feel bad but they were offering a great service and there was only a couple of pounds in it, but really you can't move twice). There were about eight chaps and packing was like a whirlwind of organization. It also wasn't a simple move, we live on a steep narrow hill, and stupid solicitors meant that we didn't get the keys till something like 4.59 pm, so there was a fair amount of chaos. They even offered to fight the bloke who got hump they were blocking the road. He declined, something about eight burly men who move furniture for living I guess led him into the light of commonsense. They also built a big wooden ramp up the verge at the side of the road and drove people's car's around (for ladies, blokes of course, are all born rally drivers and don't need help, leastways until they got stuck).

At the tail end of a shitty and long-winded purchase (did I mention solicitors?) it was nice to see something finally go right.

« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2021, 10:05:35 am »
Hmm, as I'm hoping to move in the not-too-distant future, this thread has reinforced what I suspected - that packing services are the way to go!

Our last move was about half a mile, but to a second-floor flat without a lift (elevated ground floor + massive high ceilings on the lower floors mean it's more like three floors' worth of stairs). We went with a two men + van option who gave us a much lower quote than other companies, which should have set alarm bells off but didn't. Turned out they had only just started out in the business, and one of them was very unfit. I ended up doing a fair bit of the lifting and carrying to speed things up, but it still took a full 12 hours.

Previous move (about 200 miles) was also interesting. As our street in York was so narrow and always full of parked cars, it took ages for the lorry to actually get within a sensible loading distance, which meant the stuff couldn't be moved the same day and had to sit in the van somewhere en-route overnight. I therefore had to stay in the old house for an extra night on a camping mat, before following the van by train the following day.

« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2021, 10:54:50 am »
When Mr Smith & I first shacked up together it was in a house several hundred miles from either of our previous abodes. My employer picked up the tab. Some nice men came round, stroked their chin & gave us a quote. They turned up on the day and did everything. The next day, we met them at the new house. It was brilliant.
Our most recent move (50 miles) we did ourselves (having 7 children of whom 3 recreationally lift weights and owning a van made this a compelling argument) but we will NEVER EVER do that again and we will be GAMI. However much it costs.

« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2021, 11:50:13 am »
I have moved house several times and have always packed for myself.  In each move there was only me to consider, and for a couple of moves I needed storage for a few months.

My most recent move, 16 years ago, involved a very small local business who had moved me only the year before.  The business had closed, but they did the job because  they knew that it would be easy with everything packed in boxes (light enough to lift) and beds deconstructed.  They were excellent on both occasions.

On one occasion I moved myself.  It was about 200 yards away (moving from rental to purchased) and apart from a couple of boxes, all I had was a camping chair, an inflatable mattress, a washing machine and a fridge which I moved with a sack truck.

On no move did I let removals people anywhere near my cycles.  I did that myself, but when I was moving about a lot I had only 3 or 4 so no big problem.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 29 September, 2021, 12:27:45 pm »
When Miss von Brandenburg and I moved here we were fortunate enough to be able to do in in stages using a large motor-car and a trailer.  Though we borrowed the services of a friend with a van-bodied LWB Lard-Rover for the final push, and I'd hired a hi-top Transit to get her Stuffs to Blighty from Germany earlier in the year.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #11 on: 29 September, 2021, 12:36:46 pm »
Honestly, if you can afford the full service, use it. Moving is stressful enough.

The first time we ever moved with enough stuff to note, it was from a flat in W12 to a house SE4, and that was with a VW Golf and the A205. Took a number of trips. I think we did hire a van for the bed and sofa.

The last time took a pantechnicon and two Luton vans (plus the Transit we hired for bits and bobs).

« Reply #12 on: 29 September, 2021, 12:46:20 pm »
I've lived in 26 houses in my life.

GAMI. If you possibly can.

« Reply #13 on: 29 September, 2021, 10:44:05 pm »
Seriously, get the whole packing service. Get 3-4 quotes. If they do not visit to assess the volume of goods then ignore them.   If they pack they bring boxes, tissue paper and tape. They can pack a kitchen in a quarter of the time you would take.
Unpacking can be done at leisure and they will usually collect the disassembled boxes.
I think we are on our 20th house since getting married.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14 on: 30 September, 2021, 08:13:22 am »
Ditto on getting the packing done - we moved in Feb 20 and had the removal company pack what they described as "fragiles and kitchen" - so pictures, ornaments etc plus everything in the kitchen/utility room - as well as dismantling and rebuilding a run of semi-fitted (expensive!) wardrobes. 

In the event they did pack more than that as the chaps had some spare time on the packing day and were beyond super-helpful.  Most of the packing was done on the Friday leaving us with the bare essentials for the weekend, loading the rest on Monday morning. 

We were fortunate that the transaction was the middle of just 3 with our purchaser living in a hotel and our seller buying a deceased estate property - thus all the money/completion stuff was done and dusted by about 1100 on the Monday.   The arduous journey across town, approx 1.3km, and unloading started at about 1145 and completed by 1530. 

====
I should add that I knew the removal company as they had supported the MacRide Events I ran a few years ago - they provided transport for the "Tour" events . . .  packing 140 bikes in a furniture van!  (Every bike with a blanket over it, stacked head to tail on two decks in the van - perfect)

Looking for some pix for something else I found these from Feb 20 . . .  admittedly the small van was only "floor-loaded" with plant pots and garden things but we do have a lot of stuff (and that excludes the self-store where we had another transit van full, plus 3 bikes)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #15 on: 01 October, 2021, 01:44:55 pm »
Thanks everyone!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000