Author Topic: Corrugated Iron Appreciation Society  (Read 11044 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Corrugated Iron Appreciation Society
« on: 02 October, 2021, 04:23:54 pm »
Just joined a FB group thus named, and  some of the photos are wonderful. From Nissan huts, to bomb shelters, to cafes and hotels in the outback of Australia. Some of the best ones are churches, especially around Sussex and Suffolk. Here's a few , as I've just got going.

IMG_2051 by mark tilley, on Flickr
IMG_2052 by mark tilley, on Flickr
IMG_2055 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Soon to be  redeveloped, the Canal Basin at Gravesend, been the site of a few film locations.

IMG_0861 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Globe in the Marsh PH, down at Rye.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Corrugated Iron Appreciation Society
« Reply #1 on: 02 October, 2021, 06:34:14 pm »

P6150388 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Perhaps a bit difficult to credit that this started life as a common or garden Nissen hut.  Italian Chapel, Lamb Holm, Orkney.  Built by Italian prisoners of war.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 02 October, 2021, 06:41:11 pm »
Loathe it or love it, corrugated iron (CI) has woven its way into our cultural landscape. Its unique qualities have captured the imagination of engineers, designers and ordinary people for almost 180 years, resulting in a diverse architectural legacy that has touched the lives of millions around the globe.

The significance of CI is now recognised particularly in countries such as Australia and Iceland where it is commonly found in both historic and modern contexts. In contrast, the UK has been comparatively slow to accept the cultural value of CI, many observers considering it subordinate to more permanent and traditional materials. Considerable numbers of historic CI structures still survive, but many of these are under increasing threat from neglect, development pressures and changing social and economic conditions.

This article explores the development of corrugated iron and considers the problems and opportunities for conserving existing historic structures and adapting them for economically viable and sustainable alternative uses.
https://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/corrugated-iron-architecture/corrugated-iron-architecture.htm
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2021, 06:44:40 pm »
Corrugated iron roofs are noisy when it rains, hot when the sun shines and cold in winter.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2021, 06:51:37 pm »
Corrugated iron roofs are noisy when it rains, hot when the sun shines and cold in winter.

Hence their ubiquity in the remoter parts of Captain Cook's Mistake where it's never sunny or we… oh, wait!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: 02 October, 2021, 06:58:34 pm »
And every shantytown from Kingston to Kigali. Cheap and quick.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #6 on: 02 October, 2021, 07:09:49 pm »
There was a war time corrugated iron cinema at BT Training College at Stone that I understand was a grade one listed building because of its rarity and condition. It was in the way of a planned new development and so it had an accident. It no longer exists  >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 02 October, 2021, 08:33:28 pm »

The also go BONG! when $unidentified_tree drops its fruit on them in the night, which is quite frightening if you're a toddler (DAHIKT).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 03 October, 2021, 02:20:14 pm »
This becomes more of a problem when it's an asbestos roof under a coconut tree.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 03 October, 2021, 04:43:50 pm »
Sausage tree vs Fiat Panda is canonical...

« Reply #10 on: 03 October, 2021, 05:11:03 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 03 October, 2021, 07:01:09 pm »
Sausage tree vs Fiat Panda is canonical...
Kigelia africana, unfortunately the name appears not to be linked to Kigali.

« Reply #12 on: 05 October, 2021, 02:41:17 am »
Corrugated weathering steel panels are a thing for some designers, especially the ones who can't wait for nature to take its course with the natural rusting process.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #13 on: 06 October, 2021, 10:51:50 am »
The C of E church in the village where I grew up was corrugated iron, as was the hall behind it in which I started school in 1959.

My daughter got married in 2006 in a very similar building to that church at the Museum of Kent Life near Maidstone.

I think it was that one but I don't recall it being that colour. I thought it was dark green.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #14 on: 06 October, 2021, 11:05:55 am »
The significance of CI is now recognised particularly in countries such as Australia and Iceland where it is commonly found in both historic and modern contexts. In contrast, the UK has been comparatively slow to accept the cultural value of CI, many observers considering it subordinate to more permanent and traditional materials. Considerable numbers of historic CI structures still survive, but many of these are under increasing threat from neglect, development pressures and changing social and economic conditions.

Corrugated metalwork is common in highways contexts...the old Armco barrier is now manufactured by Asset International in Newport, along with helically wound corrugated pipes up to about 3m diameter and significantly larger span arches and culverts up to 8m span and beyond in multi-plate format.  Using the resistance of well compacted surrounding stone to support the reasonably flimsy materials they are much cheaper than box culverts.  There are plenty of these under the UK motorway network https://www.assetint.co.uk/asset-multiplate.   

Flat sheet corrugated materials for cladding buildings can be tidy looking when decoratively coated.  Unfortunately, the "workshop" building behind my house isn't so.  It started life as an oak framed tractor shed which rotted until it sat at a crazy angle then the previous home owner lined it with 18mm OSB and clad it in crinkly tin which is now rusting.  The result is a lopsided and ugly bike store that can't be straightened out without pretty much demolishing it  ::-)

« Reply #15 on: 06 October, 2021, 11:06:43 am »
Loathe it or love it, corrugated iron (CI) has woven its way into our cultural landscape. Its unique qualities have captured the imagination of engineers, designers and ordinary people for almost 180 years, resulting in a diverse architectural legacy that has touched the lives of millions around the globe.

This article explores the development of corrugated iron and considers the problems and opportunities for conserving existing historic structures and adapting them for economically viable and sustainable alternative uses.
https://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/corrugated-iron-architecture/corrugated-iron-architecture.htm
I wish people would speak for themselves.

It was much used, and loved, on the Scottish Western Isles. Many a sheiling was built just of corrugated iron, and these (mostly rusting) buildings are much loved.

I spent much of my youth roofing sheds and houses in CI. Horrible working with it in summer, it gets hot enough to burn skin even through jeans.
The early architecture included a distinctive bull-nosed veranda roofing style which is very attractive.

It is a terrible material in australia; the iron gets hot quickly and re-radiates the heat into the roof void below. Insulation is used now, to reduce this effect. Still isn't great, particularly combined with the peculiar Australian habit of using dark colours on roofs.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 06 October, 2021, 11:36:53 am »
Corrugated metalwork is common in highways contexts...the old Armco barrier is now manufactured by Asset International in Newport, along with helically wound corrugated pipes up to about 3m diameter and significantly larger span arches and culverts up to 8m span and beyond in multi-plate format.  Using the resistance of well compacted surrounding stone to support the reasonably flimsy materials they are much cheaper than box culverts.  There are plenty of these under the UK motorway network https://www.assetint.co.uk/asset-multiplate.   
I'm reminded immediately of the corrugated iron underpass thing that takes the cycle path under the bottom of Selsley Hill where the station used to be. Jaded and Flatus will know this! There must be hundreds similar but it seems more common to use concrete nowadays (that was in the 1980s).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #17 on: 06 October, 2021, 11:57:23 am »
Anyway, this thread needs more photos.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18 on: 06 October, 2021, 12:05:53 pm »

P9120394 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

One Two I spotted in deepest Nevada in 2019.  I think it was a spare body for the Sprocket Rocket:

P9080272 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 12 October, 2021, 09:43:40 pm »
Why doesn't this thread have any Class 66 locomotives?

Here's one I tried to get a photo of in its natural environment, but it got away...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #20 on: 12 October, 2021, 09:46:38 pm »
I'm not sure shipping containers are strictly corrugated, are they? Anyway, good photo. Is that Didcot in the distance?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 12 October, 2021, 09:50:06 pm »
Back when it was still whole... *sniffles*

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22 on: 12 October, 2021, 09:53:36 pm »
The B3xyz from the Downs down into Wantage still offers a great view though, and an even better descent. Though last time I did it, I got a flat front tyre – fortunately once I was down in town not coming down the hill at R17.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #23 on: 13 October, 2021, 01:33:36 pm »
I think Kim was intending to get a photo of the Class 66 diesel locomotive, affectionately** known as the "Shed" by railway enthusiasts.

Random photo from t'internet here.

** May contain traces of lie!  ;)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #24 on: 13 October, 2021, 03:23:18 pm »
What no Citroen HY yet?

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.