Author Topic: Home energy saving tips /ideas...  (Read 97538 times)

Re: Home energy saving tips /ideas...
« Reply #1050 on: 17 February, 2023, 02:34:35 pm »
Here’s a tip

1. Have your gas smart meter stop sending those 1/2 hour readings
2. Report this to energy company
3. Attempt to read meter by physically accessing meter and pressing menu buttons but it just says battery door open.  Fail to spot any battery door that could be open. Can’t get manual reading. Report to energy company with photos and video. They do nothing.
4. Energy company gets reading at end of month and claims nothing wrong with smart meter. Get told your IHD isn’t working when neither app or website show energy usage either
5, The next month energy company get monthly reading from gas smart meter and it’s exactly same as month ago. As in it’s claiming zero gas usage in winter..
6. For the umpteenth time you contact them but they say meter working.
7. New energy company (Octopus) take over
8. You contact them with a summary of events. They agree meter needs replacing but need to talk to manager.
9. They get back. As it’s not an Emergency (Gas still works) it’ll be 3-4 further weeks before they’ll be able to get any engineer out.

Now has the smart meter been recording anything at all, or has it essentially been unmetered gas?.   Find out 3 months after the whole saga started when they eventually come to replace meter. I shall be overlooking them doing it, to see if it has any reliable reading the engineer can drag out if it.

If it has been unmetered it’ll be an interesting discussion.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #1051 on: 17 February, 2023, 02:57:11 pm »
We got a lot of unmetered electricity in a previous flat -- the very unsmart meter ticked round from time to time, but missed about 90% of our usage. Eventually they replaced the meter, of course, but there was no talk of our paying anything back.
Not especially helpful or mature

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1052 on: 17 February, 2023, 03:07:46 pm »
Awesome proof of concept though, Kim, not least because it shows how poorly controlled fridges are currently. And so many of them don't stay at the 1 to 5 C range they're meant to, at least not at the top shelf _and_ the bottom shelf. (Frozen cucumber, anyone?)

On the subject of fridge design, I've always wondered why they are side loading rather than top loading. We know chest freezers are more efficient. Will I be able to buy a chest fridge in future?
Chest freezers are far better for storing hitchhikers and any other bodies you haven't got around to putting through he woodchipper.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Helle_Crafts
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1053 on: 17 February, 2023, 03:12:32 pm »
refrigerated drawers
How would you stop the milk jug falling over?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1054 on: 17 February, 2023, 03:40:36 pm »
Isn't "refrigerated drawers" a line from a BBC Radio comedy circa 1958?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1055 on: 17 February, 2023, 04:04:29 pm »
On the subject of fridge design, I've always wondered why they are side loading rather than top loading. We know chest freezers are more efficient. Will I be able to buy a chest fridge in future?

Trade-off between efficiency and convenience.  Side loading makes it easier to get to stuff (which means you spend less time with the door open), and fridges can be opened tens of times a day (I'm actually shocked by how often, now I'm logging it), whereas a freezer (especially a secondary freezer, as chest freezers tend to be) might get opened somewhere between zero and two times a day.

I reckon the heat gain from changing the air (which has a relatively low specific heat capacity) is a secondary problem to introducing new moisture...

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #1056 on: 17 February, 2023, 05:16:21 pm »
Chest freezers are far better for storing hitchhikers and any other bodies you haven't got around to putting through he woodchipper.
I made the mistake of reading that article, and I now want to unread it.

« Reply #1057 on: 17 February, 2023, 05:18:24 pm »
We got a lot of unmetered electricity in a previous flat -- the very unsmart meter ticked round from time to time, but missed about 90% of our usage. Eventually they replaced the meter, of course, but there was no talk of our paying anything back.

Well that’s the interesting thing as without any numbers they are sticking fingers in the air.  The gas usage is also very weather temp dependant.  For instance today is warm enough that house has retained heat and heating hasn’t been on yet.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1058 on: 17 February, 2023, 05:37:32 pm »
Here’s a tip

3. Attempt to read meter by physically accessing meter and pressing menu buttons but it just says battery door open.  Fail to spot any battery door that could be open. Can’t get manual reading. Report to energy company with photos and video. They do nothing.
4. Energy company gets reading at end of month and claims nothing wrong with smart meter. Get told your IHD isn’t working when neither app or website show energy usage either
5, The next month energy company get monthly reading from gas smart meter and it’s exactly same as month ago. As in it’s claiming zero gas usage in winter..
8. You contact them with a summary of events. They agree meter needs replacing but need to talk to manager.
9. They get back. As it’s not an Emergency (Gas still works) it’ll be 3-4 further weeks before they’ll be able to get any engineer out.

Now has the smart meter been recording anything at all, or has it essentially been unmetered gas?.   Find out 3 months after the whole saga started when they eventually come to replace meter. I shall be overlooking them doing it, to see if it has any reliable reading the engineer can drag out if it.

If you changed supplier, then should have a final bill with the old meter reading on it, so that should give you a confirmed price up to that point.  Not quite sure what happens after that.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1059 on: 17 February, 2023, 05:50:45 pm »
Awesome proof of concept though, Kim, not least because it shows how poorly controlled fridges are currently. And so many of them don't stay at the 1 to 5 C range they're meant to, at least not at the top shelf _and_ the bottom shelf. (Frozen cucumber, anyone?)

My bold
Banksy, it would seem, has celebrated this very thing in Margate, a couple of days ago.

ETA - That Wikipedia link is proper macabre stuff.

« Reply #1060 on: 17 February, 2023, 05:59:19 pm »
Here’s a tip

If you changed supplier, then should have a final bill with the old meter reading on it, so that should give you a confirmed price up to that point.  Not quite sure what happens after that.

That’s not the problem. I think the gas smart meter has not been recording usage since pre Christmas.

There’s no confirmed bill because there is no confirmed usage recorded.  The meter apparently sent a reading beginning this month. Guess what, the reading was exactly the same as the reading sent beginning of January.  Unless the unit has somehow correctly stored usage (which I’m doubting) then there’s no way to determine it.

I’ve paid the daily standing charge for gas, but that’s it.  There is no usage element to the bills as it’s shown as zero.

If they can’t be bothered sending out an engineer to check, despite all I’ve told them in multiple ways, then …

Neither I, nor Bulb, nor Octopus know my gas usage since the meter did its thing.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1061 on: 17 February, 2023, 06:02:53 pm »
Isn't "refrigerated drawers" a line from a BBC Radio comedy circa 1958?

IIRC it was a clumsy attempt to circumvent the ban on the phrase " winter drawers on" . Only got as far as a pilot episode.

(This statement may contain LIE or traces of LIE).

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ian

« Reply #1062 on: 17 February, 2023, 08:44:02 pm »

Reminds me, I need a wood chipper, I have – erm – a lot of logs I need to get rid of.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1063 on: 02 March, 2023, 01:36:59 pm »
So, I see that Ripple Energy's 3rd project is going to be a solar farm. Given that approximate cost to invest in this (for us) would be just under £2500, and getting our own solar panels would probably be in the region of £7000, based on current consumption (i.e. if we didn't get a heat pump put in) would the Ripple investment make more sense, or am I missing something else here?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1064 on: 02 March, 2023, 01:44:37 pm »
So, I see that Ripple Energy's 3rd project is going to be a solar farm. Given that approximate cost to invest in this (for us) would be just under £2500, and getting our own solar panels would probably be in the region of £7000, based on current consumption (i.e. if we didn't get a heat pump put in) would the Ripple investment make more sense, or am I missing something else here?

If the solar panels are on your roof, you don't have to pay distribution and transmission costs for the electricity, which makes the saving a lot more compelling.  OTOH, Ripple's solar farm is going to be somewhere a bit sunnier than your roof...

Of course, you can do both (though this seems more appealing from a diversity perspective when Ripple are offering a wind farm).  Ripple has the substantial advantage that you can invest what you can afford.  Given that installation costs dominate, putting an under-rated solar system on your roof is a serious false economy.

A sensible answer probably involves maths...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1065 on: 02 March, 2023, 05:54:14 pm »
I did find a statement somewhere that suggested the Ripple way would pay up to 25% of your bill, which didn't seem like much.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1066 on: 02 March, 2023, 05:55:44 pm »
I did find a statement somewhere that suggested the Ripple way would pay up to 25% of your bill, which didn't seem like much.

Yup.  It's a decent return on investment, but it's not 'free' power.  It appeals to me on the basis of being a bit more tangible way to get off fossil fuels than 'green' tariffs, which always seem like a bit of a numbers exercise.

felstedrider

« Reply #1067 on: 02 March, 2023, 06:02:30 pm »
I’m currently staying in a family run cyclists hotel in Spain.  It’s completely off grid.  There’s a load of ground mounted solar and a shed full of batteries which are in the middle of an upgrade.  They do also have a diesel fired generator which they try to minimise the use of.  The interesting problem in the Summer is that they have to find consumption when the PV is running full whack and the batteries are charged.

felstedrider

« Reply #1068 on: 02 March, 2023, 06:09:20 pm »
Digging into the Ripple website you have to be an Octopus customer to benefit from the discount.  This leads me to assume that Ripple sell the generated energy to Octopus at the site and they then apply the discount to customers that are flagged as Ripple.  No chance of that going wrong, then…

They do say they are negotiating with other suppliers to offer something similar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1069 on: 02 March, 2023, 06:29:08 pm »
Digging into the Ripple website you have to be an Octopus customer to benefit from the discount.  This leads me to assume that Ripple sell the generated energy to Octopus at the site and they then apply the discount to customers that are flagged as Ripple.  No chance of that going wrong, then…

Yes, that makes me nervous.  But I figure they have a strong incentive to sort it out if it does go wrong.  And I do sympathise with the whole "we don't want to be an investment vehicle" approach of trying to tie it to people's electricity consumption.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1070 on: 02 March, 2023, 08:17:16 pm »
I’m currently staying in a family run cyclists hotel in Spain.  It’s completely off grid.  There’s a load of ground mounted solar and a shed full of batteries which are in the middle of an upgrade.  They do also have a diesel fired generator which they try to minimise the use of.  The interesting problem in the Summer is that they have to find consumption when the PV is running full whack and the batteries are charged.
Hydrogen plant?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1071 on: 02 March, 2023, 08:43:54 pm »

I can relate, though much smaller scale. In the winter I have enough for basic needs (though the fridge goes off for Dec-Jan) then in the summer, having run the washing machine, hoover, charged everything, it's totally galling to see the solar controller just dumping all the power as heat.

A place I stayed in Portugal with a decent year-round solar setup used the excess to heat the swimming pool. At the other end of the spectrum, in Colombia (where they don't have the seasonal issue, just finance) it was normal for the power to go off at 4AM and come back on at 10. You had to remember there was only a single flush of the lavatory in the morning, and an early shower was out of the question.

On a general level, as we move to renewables, there may need to be a rethinking of how and when we use electricity to make the best use of it. We can't just expect someone to turn up the gas taps or chuck some more coal in a turbine to cope with any and all demand.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1072 on: 02 March, 2023, 08:54:57 pm »
Pump for irrigated horticulture?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1073 on: 02 March, 2023, 08:55:48 pm »
On a general level, as we move to renewables, there may need to be a rethinking of how and when we use electricity to make the best use of it. We can't just expect someone to turn up the gas taps or chuck some more coal in a turbine to cope with any and all demand.
Interesting point. Lots of unexpected changes around the corner.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #1074 on: 07 March, 2023, 05:10:43 pm »
Yes. Though a few kWh of battery in every home would help a lot from day to day. The problem is a fortnight of cold dull windless February when you rapidly exhaust domestic users' capacity to shift or reduce demand.

And of course automated demand shifting needs people to wire their home up to the Internet of Shit, as what no right-thinking individual would do.

Now, do any of you lot know of convincing guidance about how much PV is enough PV?
Not especially helpful or mature