Author Topic: Threaded 1" headset - low stack height?  (Read 842 times)

Threaded 1" headset - low stack height?
« on: 02 January, 2022, 04:25:31 pm »
After only six years of neglect, the BBB headset on my winter bike is poorly and needs to be replaced.
I noticed that there's not a lot of thread on the steerer for the top locknut to screw on to. As far as I ascertain the total stack height is about 21mm.
Can anyone recommend a headset, preferably black, that isn't too tall.
TIA.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Threaded 1" headset - low stack height?
« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2022, 06:03:47 pm »
21mm is improbable for a threaded headset.  32mm is about as low as they usually go.  A Tange Passage is 30.5mm IIRC.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2022, 06:13:28 pm »
eck, are you talking about just the top section of the headset? Stack height usually refers to the combined installed height of the upper and lower sections of a headset.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 02 January, 2022, 07:33:46 pm »
eck, are you talking about just the top section of the headset? Stack height usually refers to the combined installed height of the upper and lower sections of a headset.

Ah, right, I just measured the top section.  :facepalm:
I'm reluctant to put it all back again just to measure it. I'll cross my fingers and look for something as near to 32mm as possible. Thanks.
I actually have a brand new Campag Record one that I bought a few years ago to install on a nice 653 frame I was getting resprayed. But I didn't need to use it as the original Chorus headset was (and still is) pristine. And it's too good to use on this old winter bike.
Cheers.

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2022, 07:50:18 pm »
You can usually measure the required stack height in situ.  Measure from about 3mm below the top of the locknut (to allow for the seal) down to the bottom of the crown race where it meets its seat on the fork.

Then measure the head tube and subtract that from the first measurement.

Normally you get a headset with a slightly lower stack height and add spacers as necessary.  The stack height of most headsets can also be reduced a little by omitting the locktab washer, which never works anyway.

« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2022, 07:22:15 pm »
Shimano were always the lowest stack of the usual suspects in my experience, possibly the 600 model, but it’s a long time ago.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2022, 07:27:34 pm »
Shimano were always the lowest stack of the usual suspects in my experience, possibly the 600 model, but it’s a long time ago.

<Fetches popcorn>

« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2022, 09:29:36 am »

<Fetches popcorn>
;D
Aye, make yourself comfortable Mr F, this could be a long story. I'm still at the prologue stage of freeing the stem in the steerer. By clamping the stem in the vice and using a HBFO iron bar, I've achieved the first initial CRACK :o and managed to turn the forks through 90° a couple of times. I'll be departing shortly to thon Forfar in search of Magic Spray™ to aid the extraction of the stem.
To be continued...

rogerzilla

« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2022, 11:32:14 am »
If the stem turns at all, you're almost there.  Get any thin lubricant down there (pick out the rubber seal from the top nut to help with this) and keep working it.  It will rapidly become much looser.  Tapping the underside of the stem with a mallet can bring it out where twisting and pulling isn't working.

« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2022, 09:47:28 am »
The famous Seat Post Man also does seized handlebar stems I understand, if all else fails.