Author Topic: Electronics & overvoles  (Read 2337 times)

Re: Electronics & overvoles
« Reply #25 on: 17 January, 2022, 02:00:47 pm »
On a related note, I did some pokenfinger into the Nest Doorbell box that Miss Ham&Fam have acquired, and I discover it is to augment and upgrade a wired system, meaning I have to get a transformer and bell. I'm congenitally scared of using a DIN rail transformer in the consumer unit with low voltage cables mixing it inside the case. I'm I wrong to be so disinclined?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #26 on: 17 January, 2022, 02:08:44 pm »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #27 on: 17 January, 2022, 02:46:49 pm »
Alas, my box of things electr(on)ic that might come in useful took a powder at some point in the last 30 years, and the handy little shop in Haguenau that had a vast selection of bits died with the rise of the Internet, so obtaining the odd 0.80 € item now comes with a 6 € bill for carriage. The rectifier/optothingmebob course seems attractive, though.

Anent the leaf switch, the thing is so damned sensitive that when I had it lying on the desk it went off from the vibration of MrsT closing the front door, but when I wedge it into the bell mechanism where the solenoid core will whang it it stays schtum.  It's as perverse as plumbing.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #28 on: 17 January, 2022, 04:07:36 pm »
Does this help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o_pfiTpz8E

Ah, that'll be "you pays yer munney and takes yer choice" then. I'm leaning to an external transformer anyway. Initial experiment with an electronic transformer (ie for 12v dimmable lighting)  suggest that is not suitable as it won't draw sufficient current. With a "50-250W" the meter only shows 1.2v output. While the circuit may draw more, it will still be not a lot of mA, rather than the 4A+ for normal load.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 17 January, 2022, 04:16:36 pm »
In any right-thinking world, a smart doorbell would get its voles from Power-over-Ethernet.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #30 on: 18 January, 2022, 02:43:34 pm »
In any right-thinking world, a smart doorbell would get its voles from Power-over-Ethernet.

In any right-thinking world, a smart doorbell would work through a metre-thick stone wall and I could scrap the entire wired-up effort. 
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #31 on: 20 January, 2022, 03:07:21 pm »
T42 perhaps I could make and send you an interface board? I have parts and could fettle together ready to connect. I think it would cost about £3 to post to you. As I need some plastic adapters for my radiators, which are only available in  the EU  we may be able to reciprocate.