Author Topic: Emergency telephone calls and the end of copper wired telephony?  (Read 5828 times)

Re: Emergency telephone calls and the end of copper wired telephony?
« Reply #50 on: 26 April, 2022, 07:02:03 am »
In the OP's situation, I would be looking at sat phones. They're expensive kit, but they're so useful that they may hold their value as an investment. Sat phones work anywhere. This is the technology aid workers carry when they're visiting war zones and earthquake zones, since they require no local infrastructure. The big brand when I worked in the international aid field some 15 years ago was Thuraya. I believe other satellite systems are available.

A lot of personal locator beacons (Garmin inReach, SPOT, etc.) offer satellite text messaging as well as contacting emergency services when needed. Texting isn't nearly as convenient as talking but I'm going to guess that the locator device and a subscription cost less than a satellite phone and monthly service. They work almost anywhere, which I suspect is the case with satellite phones. Terrain and tree cover can have an effect on any transmitter in the frequency range used by small personal communication devices. The nice thing about the locator beacons is that they're small enough that you can stick one in your pocket any time you're working or playing in an area without phone coverage and want to be reachable or able to call for help.

They can be very small. The Breitling Emergency has a satellite distress beacon built into a watch.

Other colours are available. They have been used in real emergency situations about twenty times apparently.
Its like a thicker version of their classic Aerospace ana/digi with a pull out antenna.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 26 April, 2022, 09:20:58 am »
A real James Bond watch!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #52 on: 27 April, 2022, 04:04:44 pm »
Quite possibly at a real James Bond price?  (The world is not enough)
Wombat

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #53 on: 27 April, 2022, 05:21:21 pm »
Quite possibly at a real James Bond price?  (The world is not enough)

Start at £12,100.  No wonder the under-gardener has one.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime