Author Topic: Gall Bladder Out - Recovery Time?  (Read 2274 times)

Gall Bladder Out - Recovery Time?
« on: 12 March, 2022, 05:24:03 pm »
So I had my gall bladder out yesterday morning, and I'm a bit tender.
Luckily it was "keyhole" and not the full slice and dice version.
Obviously my whole abdomen area is sore - one larger incision each (3/4 stitches)on my belly button and just below the sternum, and two smaller ones under my right side ribs (1 stitch each)
Anyone else had the same? What sort of recovery time am I looking at before I can get out on the bike again?
It'll be more gentle meandering, rather than full on send etc.
TIA

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Gall Bladder Out - Recovery Time?
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2022, 05:40:04 pm »
Probably a week or two to stop feeling sore, maybe up to 6 for your energy levels to return to normal.  I was severely zonked by the anaesthesia, which seems to be a thing that happens to me at random for no good reason.  Did they tell you not to drive?  That seems like a good proxy for the sort of heavy lifting that getting a bike out involves.

« Reply #2 on: 12 March, 2022, 06:00:04 pm »
Yeah, told not to drive for at least 48hrs. TBH, I really don't feel like driving at the moment, and probably won't for a good few days.
I'm hoping once the stitches are out (2 weeks), I'll be able to do some lighter form of exercise.
That anaesthetic really does knock you sideways

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2022, 06:09:13 pm »
With keyhole surgery they inflate you with gas which can cause increased pain for some people till that gas fully dissipates and the areas it has 'irritated' a bit, ease off.

Also don't be surprised if you experience weird emotional stuff after an anaesthetic for 3-5 days afterwards. Just cos hospitals send folk home super quick these days, it doesn't mean you don't need to rest a lot more than you think you do. I think employers assume "no in hospital = not ill/recuperating".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2022, 06:15:55 pm »
I don't think I had stitches to remove.  They used steri-strips with an adhesive that I had an allergic reaction to.  But that's a mild inconvenience compared to gallstone shenanigans.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2022, 06:46:41 pm »
Give yourself a fortnight but get out sooner if you're 'champing at the bit'.

I speak only for my cleaning lady, who had this a couple of years back…

Get well soon.

Be gentle with yourself till you really feel ready.

« Reply #6 on: 13 March, 2022, 07:05:14 am »
Luckily, I had no gas pain. Looks/sounds like I got rid of it naturally   ;D
Or worry about employers, I was fortunate to be offered an attractive retirement deal at 55, 2 1/2 years ago
Thanks for the comments, I'll give it a couple of weeks to see how I feel  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 13 March, 2022, 08:36:33 am »
If you have a turbo trainer or similar a few rides at home could be a strategy. There’s less stress on your core from road surface etc, and if it too uncomfortable you’re at home.

« Reply #8 on: 13 March, 2022, 11:01:28 am »
Sadly no turbo trainer, I'm just going to have to have some patience

« Reply #9 on: 13 March, 2022, 11:25:03 am »
Yes, patience is good; you only need to use your arms.  But be careful not to drop the cards on the floor because picking them up will be a bit of a stretch.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 13 March, 2022, 01:34:56 pm »
GWS.

MrsT had hers out in 1999 and wore bib overalls instead of jeans for a month or two afterwards to avoid having a tight waistband.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #11 on: 13 March, 2022, 02:04:20 pm »
My FiL had his done a month or 2 ago.  He was noticeably sore for a few days, and was told not to drive for a week. He's the sort of person who ignores doctors telling him not to do things, but he didn't drive for well over a week, based on the idea that you shouldn't be driving if you couldn't do an emergency stop (without worrying about it hurting). In terms of riding a bike, personally, I'd wait until I was feeling good, rather than just until I thought it wouldn't hurt too much. Your core does a significant amount of work, even on a road bike, so I'd rather be safe than sorry...

« Reply #12 on: 27 March, 2022, 09:36:40 am »
Well, the stitches came out on Friday, the nurse said they probably could have come out earlier as they'd healed well. I felt okay, and thought a steady little 5 miler up the coast might be on the cards in the following day or two - nice weather and all that.
But it looks like I'll be waiting a little longer. After feeling a little rough yesterday (flu like symptoms), my wife persuaded me to do a covid test before visiting my old man.................... positive 🤬

He's the sort of person who ignores doctors telling him not to do things, but he didn't drive for well over a week, based on the idea that you shouldn't be driving if you couldn't do an emergency stop (without worrying about it hurting).

I'm a bit like that 😁 It was 12 days before I got back in the car

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 27 March, 2022, 09:58:22 pm »
Hope you make a smooth recovery from the Covid!
Might as well take things easy.
No point pushing things till you feel like 'bouncing like Tigger'.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #14 on: 28 March, 2022, 06:29:58 pm »
Sorry you've got the sodding Covid. Hope you can rest, I like Helly's advice. Glad surgery healing has been well so far.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 28 March, 2022, 08:57:36 pm »
Latest on my Twitter feed is this...

Take it easy & don't overdo things!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:15:09 pm »
Suggest you need another fortnight off the bike to allow your heart and lungs to get over the Covid.
Sorry!

« Reply #17 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:24:08 pm »
Sticking with 4x20 min dog walks per day. TBH, it's all I can be bothered with right now.
My covid symptoms are pretty much just like flu, without the high temperature I would usually get. Paracetamol and copious amounts of tea seem to be doing the job for now

« Reply #18 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:28:11 pm »
Suggest you need another fortnight off the bike to allow your heart and lungs to get over the Covid.
Sorry!
You posted that while I was typing, it reminded me of my mate last year. 6 months after "recovery" his chest still burned at any hint of exercise, although he has now made a full recovery

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:28:32 pm »
That's more than enough!
Covid & other viruses can cause hidden damage to vital organs, which really need as little stress as possible.

Wishing you well.