Author Topic: Garmin Edge 530/830 vs Etrex 32X?  (Read 17819 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Garmin Edge 530/830 vs Etrex 32X?
« Reply #50 on: 09 June, 2022, 01:45:00 am »
And the review is live on DCRainmaker. Up to 100-hour battery life. But the price...

« Reply #51 on: 09 June, 2022, 03:05:01 am »
At least it has a USB-C port.
Hopefully will be a similar Edge 540/840 coming soon.

« Reply #52 on: 09 June, 2022, 09:52:53 am »
Someone should design a bigger solar panel which is compatible with the charger port underneath the garmin out-front mount.  I can't really see the area of solar panel on the 1040 being too much use unless it's very sunny.
ETA.  Apparently 1040 solar panels top & bottom = 100% PV level, rest of the screen = 15% PV level.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0B77V2wAw8

Very pleased with the 830 so far. 
The other day my gate propped up bike toppled over, cue my phone making loud noises with a warning I have n seconds to cancel before my emergency contact notified; so the incident detection seems to work.
So far max ride ~105km / 8hrs elapsed (I took it easy!) + varia radar connection, left about 60% battery.  Auto-backlight on.
Maps clarity good.  Zooming in & out of the map otg very easy.
I like the ProClimb feature for larger climbs - gradient, your progress on profile map. 
If using data screen, like the way turn by turn map appears for a time nearing a junction (though I gather some turns can be missed).   
Courses & turn by turn seem to work pretty well for explorer rides, including a 'spider' jucntion for bagging multiple surrounding tiles.  I tend to proceed until I get an 'off course beep', U-turn and then the unit finds the course again.  I set the unit to NOT recalculate.

I've mostly been using 'IQ' RwGPS connection courses to navigate - very easy.
Haven't yet worked out how to use/navigate a basic gpx track, manually imported into the 830 with USB connection.  Any ideas?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #53 on: 09 June, 2022, 12:38:40 pm »
Someone should design a bigger solar panel which is compatible with the charger port underneath the garmin out-front mount.  I can't really see the area of solar panel on the 1040 being too much use unless it's very sunny.
ETA.  Apparently 1040 solar panels top & bottom = 100% PV level, rest of the screen = 15% PV level.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0B77V2wAw8

Very pleased with the 830 so far. 
The other day my gate propped up bike toppled over, cue my phone making loud noises with a warning I have n seconds to cancel before my emergency contact notified; so the incident detection seems to work.
So far max ride ~105km / 8hrs elapsed (I took it easy!) + varia radar connection, left about 60% battery.  Auto-backlight on.
Maps clarity good.  Zooming in & out of the map otg very easy.
I like the ProClimb feature for larger climbs - gradient, your progress on profile map. 
If using data screen, like the way turn by turn map appears for a time nearing a junction (though I gather some turns can be missed).   
Courses & turn by turn seem to work pretty well for explorer rides, including a 'spider' jucntion for bagging multiple surrounding tiles.  I tend to proceed until I get an 'off course beep', U-turn and then the unit finds the course again.  I set the unit to NOT recalculate.

I've mostly been using 'IQ' RwGPS connection courses to navigate - very easy.
Haven't yet worked out how to use/navigate a basic gpx track, manually imported into the 830 with USB connection.  Any ideas?

On my 530 I just copy them to the NewFiles folder then they magically appear in the list of available courses.

Having said that the most recent one went a bit wappy and kept on telling me to do a U-turn even though I was on track.  I have since turned recalculation off but not yet checked to see if this has sorted it.

« Reply #54 on: 09 June, 2022, 02:52:58 pm »

On my 530 I just copy them to the NewFiles folder then they magically appear in the list of available courses.

OK thanks for that.  Had not been saving to NewFiles, & also I'd changed the filename in windows, so was looking for that changed name in the list on the unit, but had not noticed that the file was there displayed under the original name stated within the gpx file itself e.g. <name>RideName_km</name>

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #55 on: 19 June, 2022, 12:02:26 pm »
Do the Topo maps on the 32x enable navigation of a route same as city navigator?

GdS

« Reply #56 on: 25 June, 2022, 08:50:50 pm »
Do the Topo maps on the 32x enable navigation of a route same as city navigator?

no they don't! I bought the 22x which looks the same as my own 30 apart from no elevation plot. The Topo routes only take you off road. And they aren't even very Topo in my area a few extra rivers and woods no contours.

So I took the SD card from my old unit and used the City Navigator map which does do turn by turns; bit of a PITA but I'm back where I was until my 30 failed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #57 on: 26 June, 2022, 12:08:49 am »

« Reply #58 on: 26 June, 2022, 08:01:29 am »
I've got an even older 20X, which I am quite happy with except it does not do turn-by-turn directions, does this mean that if I bought City Navigator it would give me this facility ?

GdS

« Reply #59 on: 27 June, 2022, 10:59:48 pm »
I've got an even older 20X, which I am quite happy with except it does not do turn-by-turn directions, does this mean that if I bought City Navigator it would give me this facility ?

my CN2009 does perfick turn by turn navigation anywhere in Europe on all the 3 devices I've owned so I would say yes. It all seems to come down to the maps. My 22x does the beeeeep then the bing bing before the actual turn but it's way before the turn and can't see how to reduce it

YHPM!

GdS

« Reply #60 on: 30 June, 2022, 07:12:03 pm »

Not sure what the difference between a 20 and 20x is but when I bought a 30 it was the only etrex 10/20/30 model that did turn by turn navigation, the 20 apparently didn't but the 22x does

edit; it may have just been the 10 that didn't

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #61 on: 29 July, 2022, 11:27:30 am »
I've been totally wedded to the Etrex series since 2006.  Currently Sheila and I use an etrex 30 and two Etrex 30x (we prefer the older 30 - slightly clearer screen).

Having read this page and read the Rainmaker review of the new Edge Explore 2, last week I bought one and have lived with it for a week now.  Usage will be day rides and touring.  While there are pros and cons, on balance it is a big improvement on the Etrex, and can be configured and used in just the same way - that is, dumbed-down without any of the connectivity stuff or ANT sensors. 
I set mine up as a standalone without - I repeat without - any phone pairing or use of Garmin Connect, and it gives a bigger and better screen than the Etrex in a slimmer and lighter package, with modern USB-3 charging.  Although the pre-installed map looks decent, I have added my own map file, the same one as we use in our Etrexes, and this renders perfectly.

In 'dumb' mode - that is simply viewing a map screen with a coloured Track Course overlaid - which is the way Sheila has used her Etrex for years now - the screen is bigger and clearer and especially the text fonts rendering is much improved.  It's also nice to have one-touch switching between Track Up and North Up.  Navigating - I must say so far we've had experiences that are 'mixed' at best.  That is, both navigating an imported Track from RideWithGPS, and trying a map-based 'Go To'.  We're still learning. All this is, I emphasise, without any phone pairing.
I happen to detest touchscreen UIs, and this is no exception - for me it is alternately obstinate and hair-trigger, and largely unintuitive.  I think a touchscreen on the handlebars is a really bad idea.  Sheila (age: late 70s) is taking to it much better and clearly expects to use the Explore 2 in preference to her Etrex 30 for her upcoming French cycle tour.

Pros:
* Bigger and clearer screen with much improved font rendering.
* Smaller and lighter physical package, better handlebar mounting system.
* Easy to add a 2nd (and 3rd) data screen. You can add graphical elements (such as an elevation plot) into the 2nd data screen.  By re-ordering the screens list you can get it to swipe one way (from the map) for data screen 1, and the other way for data screen 2.
* Easy access to some things (such as Track Up/North Up, backlight brightness, alternative screens).
* Easy to switch between 3 'Profiles' (which I use for 3 different map setups).
* Sleep Mode (brief dab of the on'off button) works very well - left it in Sleep overnight and no battery drain.  It can be configured to auto-Sleep.
* Rechargable (assuming you think that is a Pro) via USB-3
* Generally fast and responsive (eg Courses load quickly, long ones recalculate in background).
* The pre-installed map has optional (and easy to access on/off) 'Popular' (ie with cyclists) and 'Busy' overlays.  These work without any phone pairing.
* In sum, in 'dumb' mode (viewing/following a coloured track overlayed on the map) it all works very well and improves on the Etrex (in the same mode).

* Obviously, there is all the connectivity stuff, and the sensors stuff - which I haven't explored.
* Notably, there is a 'group tracker' mode - for riding with friends, you can see their locations on your GPS screen (provided of course they are using similar kit).  Great for tour leaders afflicted with a strong Duty of Care.

Cons (possibly setup via phone could overcome some of these, I don't know):
* The Start/Stop button is an irritation.  I have configured it to auto-start but the minimum threshold for this is 10kph.
* Recorded tracklogs are (when converted from FIT to GPX) very over-large.
* The 'other' physical button has (for us) no useful function and cannot be reconfigured.  Meanwhile the On/Off button is multi-function.
* Touch UI is (IMHO) a 'mare.  (Others may love it.)
* Poor access to many of the setup options.  The map options (zoom threshods, text sizes etc) are particularly obscure.  Whereas on the Etrex they were easy to access.
* I haven't found a screen that displays the satellite constellation.  Documentation surrounding the GPS options (GPS, Multi-GNSS) is inadequate.
* I could be wrong, but I don't think it has an electronic compass.  This makes the 'Track Up' map display unstable at walking speeds.  OK when cycling though.
* Navigation is limited to imported Courses (can import GPX track), or Go To, or planning on-device. (Phone pairing would obviously improve this).
* Popup navigational overlays obscure the map too much (can be turned off, but then no navigational prompts at all).
* Navigation seems (so far, early days) quirky.  (Nothing new there.)

Edit to add:
The pre-installed map seems decent, but in my 'dumb' mode it's not very suitable, because an overlaid coloured Track is not very visible against the heavy rendering of the roads.  Adding my own map (a mashup of Garmin Metroguide Gold, OpenStreetMap, and SMC Contours, and all carefully styled) has improved this a lot.  If limited to the pre-installed map, then proper Navigation (which boldens the visual Track overlay) would seem the better option.  I'll maybe do a few screendumps to illustrate this later.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #62 on: 29 July, 2022, 11:36:50 am »
Interesting review.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #63 on: 29 July, 2022, 11:53:10 am »
Cons (possibly setup via phone could overcome some of these, I don't know):
* The Start/Stop button is an irritation.  I have configured it to auto-start but the minimum threshold for this is 10kph.
* Recorded tracklogs are (when converted from FIT to GPX) very over-large.
* The 'other' physical button has (for us) no useful function and cannot be reconfigured.  Meanwhile the On/Off button is multi-function.
* Touch UI is (IMHO) a 'mare.  (Others may love it.)
* Poor access to many of the setup options.  The map options (zoom threshods, text sizes etc) are particularly obscure.  Whereas on the Etrex they were easy to access.
* I haven't found a screen that displays the satellite constellation.  Documentation surrounding the GPS options (GPS, Multi-GNSS) is inadequate.
* I could be wrong, but I don't think it has an electronic compass.  This makes the 'Track Up' map display unstable at walking speeds.  OK when cycling though.
* Navigation is limited to imported Courses (can import GPX track), or Go To, or planning on-device. (Phone pairing would obviously improve this).
* Popup navigational overlays obscure the map too much (can be turned off, but then no navigational prompts at all).
* Navigation seems (so far, early days) quirky.  (Nothing new there.)

Checked the system menu?  The Edge 830 appears to have a magnetic compass function.  Access is via 'hamburger' icon on main screen>System>Calibrate Compass [move 830 in figure of 8 pattern until calibrated].  ETA.  The compass was apparently hidden at first, until it came to light with the cailbration setting, in a subsequent software release.

I've not used my 830 in the wet or cold yet, and so far have no issues with the touchscreen, though I recognise the hair trigger aspect when swiping through menus - so it's useful to have up/down arrows at the bottom of the screen to tap.  Find the touchscreen v.useful for zooming in/out of the map otg.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #64 on: 31 July, 2022, 11:50:43 am »
No Compass in the System menu, no options attached to the 'Compass' display screen.  Software update - that's a good point I haven't done that.  DAMN - that means I have to install Garmin Connect, something I wanted to avoid doing.

« Reply #65 on: 31 July, 2022, 05:13:56 pm »
No Compass in the System menu, no options attached to the 'Compass' display screen.  Software update - that's a good point I haven't done that.  DAMN - that means I have to install Garmin Connect, something I wanted to avoid doing.
Or install Garmin Express on your PC, should be able to update with that. Probably quicker than Garmin Connect.

No mention of a compass in the specs anyway, most of the other Edge models do (listed as magnetometer).

« Reply #66 on: 01 August, 2022, 04:32:07 pm »
I don't think you can update a Garmin using the Garmin Connect app, either use Garmin Express on a computer or some Garmins can use wifi to update system software (my 830 can) but not maps as the files are rather big (>4 Gb).

Modern cycling GPS units are designed to be used with a smartphone and if you don't then it rather limits what you can do with them. Certainly applies to Garmin and Wahoo. The Hammerhead Karoo is essentially a modified android phone which is probably why it doesn't have or need a companion smartphone app.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #67 on: 02 August, 2022, 12:28:45 pm »
I don't feel limited at all.  The Explore 2 can do anything the Etrex 30 can - often better, sometimes not so well - without any phone pairing.  The improved data screens especially are a joy.

Garmin Express pops up on my PC when I connect this device,  however it just then prompts me to install Garmin Connect before it can properly 'see' it.  Express can't access the Ex2 to update it, without.  No doubt I will bite that bullet, eventually.

« Reply #68 on: 02 August, 2022, 12:47:27 pm »
You need to sign up for a Garmin Connect account, and link the device to that. But should be able to do that without actually installing the Garmin Connect app.

« Reply #69 on: 02 August, 2022, 04:13:32 pm »
It’s slightly confusing as ‘Garmin Connect’ can refer either to the smartphone app or the website.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #70 on: 17 November, 2022, 12:56:15 pm »
I notice a lot of places are offering the Edge 530 for £159.99 at the moment.

As the owner of an Etrex 30 that's falling apart, I'm in the market for a new GPS. I had kind of decided to get the Wahoo Roam V2, but at around £350, the price of the 530 is very appealing. In fact, many places are even flogging the Edge 1030 plus for £299!

I don't know what to do! I guess these discounted Garmin models are pretty old and are maybe on the way out? What to do....

Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #71 on: 17 November, 2022, 01:48:05 pm »
The Edge 530 came out in 2019, so isn’t that old.  It hasn’t been replaced yet, that’ll be the Edge 540 which rumour has it is imminent, but does not invalidate the 530.

« Reply #72 on: 17 November, 2022, 07:09:07 pm »
The Edge 530 came out in 2019, so isn’t that old.  It hasn’t been replaced yet, that’ll be the Edge 540 which rumour has it is imminent, but does not invalidate the 530.

OK, ta. I'm struggling to find a reason not to get a 530 now at that price. After reading/watching lots of reviews, I know some people don't like them, but it looks like it will suit my needs just fine. I'll sleep on it and maybe pull the trigger tomorrow...

« Reply #73 on: 17 November, 2022, 07:20:43 pm »
I bought a 530 for £200 a few months ago to replace my aging Etrex30X.  A friend recommended it but it was only later that I discovered that hers was an 830  ::-)

I found it took a bit of getting used to and using the buttons to scroll around is tedious but if you just want it to direct you on a pre-prepared route and record where you have been it seems OK.  The screen is pretty clear and the battery life is extremely good.

« Reply #74 on: 20 November, 2022, 05:19:46 pm »
Well, I got a 530 and so far I'm very pleased. It arrived yesterday and I spent the (rainy) afternoon setting it all up. Went for a ride today and did a bit more tweaking and have got it set up pretty much how I want it for minimal faffage.

I can understand why the endless menu options are seen as a negative compared to the app set up of something like the Wahoos, but coming from an Etrex, I'm kind of used to pressing lots of buttons. Once you know where the things you want are, it's straight forward enough and I'm more than happy to live with it for the price. It was less than I paid for my Etrex 8 years ago!