Author Topic: Veer drive belts/importing from USA  (Read 619 times)

Veer drive belts/importing from USA
« on: 06 July, 2022, 06:28:41 pm »
Does anyone have a comments on Veer drive belts?  And on importing from the USofA - duties VAT etc?

Our second string tandem desperately needs its crossover chain and rings replaced so I have been considering a belt.  The Veer system looks good but is approx £366 vs £100 for a replacement chain based system.  It will last at least 2-3 times as long as well as the other benefits of belt over chain.

Any Veer users out there?
Any comments on splicing belts?
How much will duty and VAT add on (anyone imported similar priced items recently)?

Thanks

Re: Veer drive belts/importing from USA
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2022, 08:46:26 pm »
The duty applies to both the value of goods and delivery charges, then you apply VAT on top. Then there’s a nominal handling charge of £12-15. I’ve imported bike stuff from USA in last couple of months and it arrived without any charges to pay. I think since brexit, HMRC are a bit overwhelmed with workload.

If I remember I’ll have a look at the charges for a bike item I bought from USA in 2019,  where I did pay duty and vat. When you get the invoice it’s all broken down for you.

Re: Veer drive belts/importing from USA
« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2022, 07:16:08 pm »
If you could, that would be great.  I think the value is around £400 or so.  Were you able to not pay American VAT?