Author Topic: Which basic maintenence tips have I likely forgotten?  (Read 1729 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Which basic maintenence tips have I likely forgotten?
« on: 13 May, 2022, 04:17:45 pm »
It's been a while since I did some proper maintenance on my commute/general purpose/workhorse bike.

I'm planning a complete replacement of all cables (very aged), the mudguards (chromoplastics, quite old), the rear rack (broken, but still functional), the (V-) brake blocks/shoes and the saddle.  The V-Brakes probably need to come off and get a thorough clean.

What am I going to forget to do that I will kick myself for afterwards?

(your starter for 10... I will definitely forget to put on gloves and end up with grease under my nails for a week).

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Which basic maintenence tips have I likely forgotten?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2022, 04:19:43 pm »
I just thought of one for myself.... "deliver the bike, the parts and a crate of beer to the BFC and get him to fix everything"!

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2022, 05:22:00 pm »
Is it a geared machine or the fixed? I assume it's a "leave at the station" machine so probably not one I've seen.

Inspect tyres, look for cuts, perishing, bulges, are they straight? (if not is it the wheel, the tyre or just the fit of the tyre). Try pumping up to working pressure plus a bit and recheck, then deflate to normal working pressure.

Check chain - stretch/wear using a gauge and inspect (missing rollers, rotten bits, sticky bits) static and pedalling. If badly stretched may need a new cassette/freewheel/sprocket as well as chain.

Feel of BB and pedals (tightness or play are the warning signs) - all Shimano pedals I know of have adjustable cup and cone bearings if there is play in them, BB's are mostly throw away items.

Rear mech alignment, play or tightness in rear mech pivots and jockey wheels.

Headset/steering - check/adjust for free movement with no play and no "indexing".

Do the bounce test - if anything rattles either sort it out or live with it.

Bar tape if drop bars.

Check saddle height and reach, may need tweaking after a test ride.

I can recommend some very good hand cleaner (citrus flavoured). Wash hands or remove filthy gloves between doing anything to the dirty bits (brakes or transmission) and checking at the handlebar end.

The tooling arsenal is available if you need it, you know where I live.

« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2022, 09:29:20 pm »
Is it a geared machine or the fixed? I assume it's a "leave at the station" machine so probably not one I've seen.

Inspect tyres, look for cuts, perishing, bulges, are they straight? (if not is it the wheel, the tyre or just the fit of the tyre). Try pumping up to working pressure plus a bit and recheck, then deflate to normal working pressure.

Check chain - stretch/wear using a gauge and inspect (missing rollers, rotten bits, sticky bits) static and pedalling. If badly stretched may need a new cassette/freewheel/sprocket as well as chain.

Feel of BB and pedals (tightness or play are the warning signs) - all Shimano pedals I know of have adjustable cup and cone bearings if there is play in them, BB's are mostly throw away items.

Rear mech alignment, play or tightness in rear mech pivots and jockey wheels.

Headset/steering - check/adjust for free movement with no play and no "indexing".

Do the bounce test - if anything rattles either sort it out or live with it.

Bar tape if drop bars.

Check saddle height and reach, may need tweaking after a test ride.

I can recommend some very good hand cleaner (citrus flavoured). Wash hands or remove filthy gloves between doing anything to the dirty bits (brakes or transmission) and checking at the handlebar end.

Just to add, making a decent sized batch of bread also suffices for hand cleaning:)

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2022, 10:42:54 am »
Barrier cream? I find gloves get in the way for some things.

One thing I forgot to do was to lube the joint on the quick release of a V brake, so it doesn’t quick-release when you don’t want it to.  :facepalm:
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2022, 10:51:54 am »
Copper slip the seat post?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2022, 07:39:51 pm »
Check the rims for concavity.
Check that the yokes on the V brakes haven't spread (which could allow the noodle through in extremis).
Are the wheels true ?
Are there any loose spokes ?
Check the wheel bearings.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2022, 07:42:00 pm »
There's always this handy list - https://www.fnrttc.org.uk/bike-check-list
Rust never sleeps

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2022, 08:56:14 am »
Use a black mug for your accompanying beverage.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2022, 03:42:23 pm »
Thanks all.

It's my commute/leave at station/epiphany bike, so you might have seem it, but only in the dark/heavily disguised with tinsel/whilst drunk. (geared)

Good point - I might keep a bucket of hot soapy water and a disposable towel nearby for "switching ends" (on top of the supply of gloves for the really dirty stuff).

:thumbsup:

Check the rims for concavity.
Check that the yokes on the V brakes haven't spread (which could allow the noodle through in extremis).
Are the wheels true ?
Are there any loose spokes ?
Check the wheel bearings.

Yeah... the rear wheel has known bearing play issues, and I'm not sure how much life is left in the rim.  That's in the next round of maintenance and will probably be a replacement job.  I'm pretty sure it's beyond the reach of even BFC's healing hands.

The V-Brake yoke check is a good shout.  (I just remembered that I had to replace a noodle in the past... will check those too).

Use a black mug for your accompanying beverage.
:thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2022, 09:14:09 pm »
Undo every bolt , grease and tighten up, to stop them seizing, or find ones already seized.  Someone will no doubt offer up different answers depending on the bolt.  But I’ve found grease works in almost every circumstance and loctite blue on a few others such as mudguard stay bolts at the mudguard end or bottle cage bolts. A seized bolt is no fun.

« Reply #11 on: 30 June, 2022, 03:10:13 pm »
Give the bike a through clean before you do anything. Working on bits you can see and touch without getting covered in filth is so much more rewarding.

« Reply #12 on: 30 June, 2022, 03:51:47 pm »
Wash top down, lube the same.

Gravity will inevitably result in the trickle of oil, grease and muck over clean surfaces.

« Reply #13 on: 30 June, 2022, 04:23:03 pm »
Steel frame?  After the winter I remove the seatpost and BB and let it air a bit, then spray ACF-50 into the tubes. If I remember I'll give it another spray before the winter. I'm not sure it's necessary, but it does no harm and removing, cleaning, greasing, refitting stuff means it'll be easier to remove when you need to.
I don't remove small screws or bolts, they would have been fitted with Loctite which I consider a once in a lifetime application (Lifetime being the length of time I'm likely to keep a bike)
Whatever makes you happy. I hate maintenance and it seems to me the best way to avoid it is to do some.