Author Topic: Front derailleur clamp  (Read 633 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Front derailleur clamp
« on: 31 May, 2022, 07:51:22 am »
when fitting a front derailleur clamp should it be directly onto the tube?  Normally if I'm fitting something like clip on muguards or aerobars I'll use a bit of old inner tube as a shim to protect the paint as well as giving some grip. I've never fitted a derailleur clamp before so have no idea of the convention and you tube is bereft of specifics.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Front derailleur clamp
« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2022, 08:00:12 am »
when fitting a front derailleur clamp should it be directly onto the tube?  Normally if I'm fitting something like clip on muguards or aerobars I'll use a bit of old inner tube as a shim to protect the paint as well as giving some grip. I've never fitted a derailleur clamp before so have no idea of the convention and you tube is bereft of specifics.

Direct to the tube (or a THIN sliver of electrical tape) - the clamp has to be fixed and tight to hold cable/spring tension-  a rubber shim wouldn't be a good idea.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2022, 08:19:18 am »
Cheers Rob, I was thinking the same, confirmation always useful
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2022, 08:24:30 am »
Metal shim or preferably nothing. Front derailleurs are brutal mechanisms and additional flexibility in the system is not a good idea.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...