Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134177 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16275 on: 28 September, 2021, 11:55:59 am »
Finished the service for a customer's bike - masses of of congealed oil/grease and mud all over the drive-train . . . it's a wonder that the rear mech jockey wheels turned!

« Reply #16276 on: 29 September, 2021, 11:45:29 pm »
An LED floodlight with PIR sensor had stopped working, so I bypassed the PIR bit, and added an external PIR switch. (https://www.diy.com/departments/colours-drake-white-mains-powered-pir-motion-sensor/3663602761198_BQ.prd)
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #16277 on: 30 September, 2021, 09:04:12 pm »
Cleaned a kitchen gas hob that had not been cleaned for a while, at least a year.  Cleaning requiring the removal of the top of the hob with use of automotive brake cleaner and plus gas to dislodge all the horrible congealed grease so that the knobs now turn.

Then I peroxide and thick bleached three plastic chopping boards so they are actually white again.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16278 on: 01 October, 2021, 08:24:44 pm »
Built a rear wheel for the Moulton F-frame and rebuilt the fork.  It feels pretty good and the rotational slop is gone.  The existing top bush is the biggest diameter of the three I have, so that went back in but took a beer can shim to make it tight against the inner steerer, which it wasn't originally.  Used MoS grease between the two steerers and RRG inside the inner steerer.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #16279 on: 02 October, 2021, 03:54:39 pm »
a sprocket on a hack bike has run its course having been turned by six or seven chains. new one in.

« Reply #16280 on: 02 October, 2021, 04:19:58 pm »
About a year ago my daughters clock stopped working. Its nice as its for learning to tell the time so had extras on the clock face such as quarter past etc

I stripped it down and decided the mechanism, well the cheap generic black box which runs the clock was dead. It then got put aside and forgotten about. Having a sort out I found it, a few minutes later I'd ordered a new mechanism of ebay which duly arrived Friday. Alas we had lost the hour hand on the clock so last night I fitted the new mechanism and made a new hand from the plastic of a dairylee dunkable pot. Finally a use for the vile "cheese". I then had to enlarge the hole on the minute hand and fit that

Battery in....bugger still doesn't work. Replacement battery in and wahoo we have life. I did try several of batteries in the existing mechanism so that was dead

I would say at some point I'll fashion a replacement minute hand as it's shorter due to me modifying but in all honesty if probably won't get round to it.

Just now I sharpened my chainsaw and redid the bracket on my wife's basket  its a quick release one so you can take the basket off but it kept slipping when loaded and obscured the front fork mounted light

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16281 on: 03 October, 2021, 09:12:08 am »
Replaced a tube on my trike’s idler wheel during yesterday’s rather wet Richard Ellis Memorial 200. Caused by a big flint stuck in the casing but it turned out that the tyre was also down to the canvas.

Surprisingly, the idler tyre wore out just a week after the drive tyre reached canvas. I must be scrubbing the idler tyre pretty hard through fast LH corners. I thought I was detecting a bit of sideslip on bumpy surfaces. Time to shuffle tyres between garage stock and trike.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #16282 on: 03 October, 2021, 08:58:01 pm »
I wasn't meaning to fettle, but put the freshly powdercoated mudguards back on the Moulton Standard, fixed the rear rack properly and worked out how to modify an LED light to bolt to the M6 (probably 0BA in the day, which is exactly the same size and pitch) hole in the rear of the rack.

« Reply #16283 on: 03 October, 2021, 09:48:46 pm »
Swooped out the Shimano 1055 front mech for a 1970s Campagnolo Record , works a lot better with the minuscule clearance of the TA pro vis compact double & it looks a lot prettier on the 1951 Claud Butler . Me Shallow  !!! 
Its More Fun With Three .

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16284 on: 05 October, 2021, 12:30:04 pm »
a peculiar incident today for several reasons:
* spoke nipples rarely fail (broke apart at the rim)
* on the front wheel
* while the bike sat stationary indoors

squeezed the rest of the spokes hard, hoping this was a one off. took the tyre off, cleaned the sealant and took the rim tape off. will sort it out over the weekend.

fixed this, finally. quite a few spokes needed nipping up to make the wheel true again, considering that only one spoke failed (and the wheel was true before that).

rogerzilla

« Reply #16285 on: 06 October, 2021, 09:28:44 pm »
Totally dismantled the front of the Moulton series 2 to (a) be able to rivet the new cable guides to the head tube (b) swap the head cups as they're a bit nicer than the ones that came on the series 1 and (c) swap out some of the fork components, for the same reason.  All back together now.  I'm starting to refit the chromed steel parts, which are really very nice.  The squiffy BB shell won't actually be noticeable when it has white cable housings running over it.

The series 1 frameset and racks have gone to the local powdercoaters.  The mudguards have been posted to a different powdercoater to be done in chrome effect.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16286 on: 08 October, 2021, 01:50:14 pm »
Toilet related stuff today - discovered the flexible "slinky" pipe from pan to the soil pipe had drooped, causing strange air activity resulting in the shower trap emptying and strong smell of drains.  Turns out the slinky was waaaay too long.

Fitted a solid pipe extension piece to the soil pipe and new, shorter, slinky from the pan (and for belt and braces, as the stuff is all hidden in a cabinet, put some blocks of wood under them to prevent the possibility of drooping)  That was easy - hardest part was taking the cabinet to bits and putting it back together.

AND - I'm sure you all experence the moving toilet seat - as the holes in the pan and the size of the bolts are wildly different so that they float around however tight you do up the nuts/wing nuts. 

Well, a bit of thinking and I made two rubber "sleeves" from tap washers that engage the bolts firmly in the centre of the holes in the pan and then a large rubber washer, large metal washer and then the wing nut..  No more moving seat :thumbsup:     

What's amazing is that nobody has really perfected the fittings for toilet seats, even the high-end stuff where the pan and seat are a set.

I washed my hands when I had finished  ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #16287 on: 09 October, 2021, 08:14:54 pm »
The Tailfin - because the S40 is a FWD recumbent, the back end is a front end and the rack is too wide, so a very helpfully suggested work about by TF themselves to put the mounts inboard rather than outboard. No straining of the rack and it clears the brake beautifully.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #16288 on: 09 October, 2021, 08:22:43 pm »
Fitted tubus Vegas evo rear rack to my recumbent.  It needed the offset struts and a spacer on left side to clear disc calliper.   Struts need trimming by 3.5cm to allow the pannier hooks to be better spaced. Otherwise all good. First mini tour with this setup will be end of month.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16289 on: 10 October, 2021, 05:14:45 pm »
Greased pedals on Trek, currently got chain thereof in the slow cooker.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16290 on: 12 October, 2021, 05:05:44 pm »
I decided to fill this vent in the pantry cupboard.
2021-10-12_05-00-17 by The Pingus, on Flickr

I got a little carried away
2021-10-12_05-00-35 by The Pingus, on Flickr

A couple of hours later it had expanded even more and turned into a demon
2021-10-12_05-01-04 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16291 on: 12 October, 2021, 07:38:57 pm »
Patched an inner tube which had letD down over the past weekend.

Took three attempts to find the leak.

Lost sight of hole & had to return to kitchen sink.

Attempted to use ancient, paper-backed Cure-C-Cure patches, as I didn't find any small Tip-Tops in the multiple puncture kits in the basket. Edges of these lifted as I tried to remove paper. Did this twice & removed patch.

Found nice, plastic-backed, but rather large patch in LCC kit.

Used this successfully.

Folded tube and decided to rationalise/consolidate the two Tip-Top boxes, two Cure-C-Cure boxes and the LCC kit.

Found I hadn't noticed nice small patched in second Tip-Top box...

rogerzilla

« Reply #16292 on: 12 October, 2021, 10:05:29 pm »
I once heard of a prank involving a few cans of builders' expanding foam placed in a freezer until they were solid (and the cans ruptured), then put into the groom's car during the wedding reception.

The car had to be written off.  It was totally filled and foam was coming out through the air vents.

« Reply #16293 on: 12 October, 2021, 10:44:08 pm »
The definitive foam tale, from Peter Parry of usenet fame many years ago

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/humour.html#foam

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16294 on: 14 October, 2021, 05:07:54 pm »
Yesterday while I was waiting for Pingu to drag his body out of the pit I sawed the expanding foam demon off the vent. I should note here that not a drop of foam spilled out of the vent on the outside wall.  :smug:

Today I threw all the 'coals' from the disconnected gas fire in the bin and put the fire and cast iron trim in the tip pile. Only problem now is because the previous occupant decided to paint the fireplace tiles without moving the fire (lazy git) there is a big beige section in the middle of the black painted bit. So that needs cleaning and then I need to attempt to find some paint that matches. And then put something decorative in the hole.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #16295 on: 16 October, 2021, 05:22:41 pm »
Mum's bird feeder pylons. After the second set of nasty socketed sections rusted and failed in the breeze, I went to have a peer round Block & Quayle's shelves to see what the damage (or alternatives) might be. Lo! There were some nice plastic coated steel plant supports of suitable girth, length and with pointy ends. Ye bird feeders are again raised aloft  :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16296 on: 16 October, 2021, 06:19:28 pm »
Yesterday I levered the panel which had been glued to the back of the fireplace off the bricks. It was hiding some sort of hole. Not sure what that's in aid of or indeed what I should fill it with. Then I cleaned the worst of the soot off the bricks. I should prolly get the chimney sweep round as dog knows what's up there.

Then I took my sawed up bits of knackered Ikea Ivar shelving and some GBFO masonry nails and stuck an extra shelf up in the pantry cupboard. It's not perfect but it'll do for the moment. I need to make another shelf for the next door cupboard but that's for another day.
2021-10-16_06-02-38 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Today we spent yet more hours trying to level the site for the shed and pruned various flora in the garden and mowed the lawn. Pingu was happy cos I said he could hack the leggy clematis back to the ground (not quite, we need a bow saw as the loppers weren't coping that far down). 
I put the shortened curtains back up in the spare bedroom.
Then I replaced 4x halogen GU10's in the bathroom (I hate those fittings, they always sound like they're going to break) and a halogen each in the hall and our bedroom. Forgot that still left one in the kitchen though (actually probably also the glory hole under the stairs but that's not on long) but that's totally exhausted my stock of BC LED's. Good job I did an LED Hut order last night.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16297 on: 17 October, 2021, 09:33:10 am »
AA rechargeables fiddling.  Got my very first set of Eneloops (Pro 2500mAh) on Friday.  Impressive: I ran down one pair and recharged it (5½ hours for recharge) and put it in my eTrex 30x with the display back-light on 50% (supposedly 80mA drain): it took 9h36 for the first blob on the 4-blob capacity scale to disappear.  With a couple of my ancient Duracells that took 45 minutes.

Currently reconditioning all my Duracells in my 20-year-old Maha MF-C204F charger.  Good kit.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16298 on: 17 October, 2021, 02:35:51 pm »
Here is a pic of the hole at the back of our fireplace. The flue itself is up top (where Pumpkin kept trying to climb up when the fire was there providing a handy climbing frame).
2021-10-17_02-32-12 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16299 on: 17 October, 2021, 02:39:14 pm »
Today we're fettling pictures on the walls. Remembered the hall wall is s block wall so that will be a job for some small pics and Command hooks I reckon.