Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1016110 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Seen today
« Reply #5900 on: 16 August, 2021, 08:04:13 pm »
One swift!

It's a week or so since I've seen a flock wheeling around.

My last swift sighting last year was 18th August.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5901 on: 16 August, 2021, 09:10:13 pm »
One swift!

I encountered what I am pretty sure was a whole herd of them this evening and just stood for a while, marvelling at their manoeuvres and wondering how many 'g' they were pulling.

« Reply #5902 on: 16 August, 2021, 09:30:19 pm »
This evening, a Pipistrel above the rear garden, still doing its sunset loops. Also took some water out and came face to face with one of our visiting hedgehogs. A very early visit being only 9pm.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5903 on: 18 August, 2021, 05:51:35 pm »
One swift!

Swifts in Furryboottoon this morning.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5904 on: 18 August, 2021, 09:15:49 pm »
Last Saturday, as I was taking coffee in Ingwiller:

Quite a few storks around in the fields, too.
:thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5905 on: 20 August, 2021, 01:37:30 am »
An indecisive badger, doing a rabbit style run back and forth across the road. Missed it by about 4 ft.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5906 on: 25 August, 2021, 07:32:49 pm »
This on the cycle track. I moved it, I think it is a slow worm?

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5907 on: 25 August, 2021, 07:40:28 pm »
Definitely a slow worm.
We get them quite a lot in our garden. Beautiful things.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5908 on: 26 August, 2021, 10:38:54 am »
This on the cycle track. I moved it, I think it is a slow worm?

It is - and a jolly big one too.

There's a photo somewhere in the archives of Auntie Helen's hand in comparison with a very large slow worm that we just failed to run over in South Woodham Ferrers. That was the biggest I have seen. I think yours might be giving me slow worm envy.

Sometimes when you move them they shed their tails as a quid pro quo. The tail wriggles like mad and the predator gets its meal and the slow-worm gets away.

essexian

« Reply #5909 on: 27 August, 2021, 07:37:18 am »
Sometimes I am surprised that they let me out unsupervised….

On Wednesday I was returning home from dropping my BMW off at the dealership to have a new set of indicators fitted…. I kid you not; so rather than walking the three miles back along a manic main road where no one actually done 30, I took the bike with me and cycled the 9 miles home using some nice, quiet backroads/cycle paths. 30.

On one such path, the Isabella Trail (a disused railway line path), keeping an eye out for untrained dog emptiers and their mutts along with free range children is a constant task, as is keeping an eye out for wildlife which lives along the tree lined avenue.

It was towards the town end of the path that I first noticed the tailless squirrel sitting on the path. Slowing downing down to allow it to move, I also noted that its body shape was different from a normal squirrel and it walked strangely. The lack of a tail was striking. Perhaps it had been born without one, or had lost it in a fight. Or was it a type of squirrel new to the UK?

Returning home after conquering the only mountain in Stafford….. its nearly 70 foot high!!!!….. I spent some time looking up the different types of squirrels there are but could find nothing which matched the description. So, at a loss, of course, I asked my better half. She asked two questions….did it call me “Doc” and was it eating a carrot?

Strange questions I  thought……….. half an hour later it struck me. It wasn’t a squirrel but a rabbit. D’oh!

As I said…. sometimes I am surprised they allow me out unsupervised.

« Reply #5910 on: 29 August, 2021, 01:36:02 am »
A male goldeneye duck on Rochdale Canal!  I don't know if there are "captive escapes" up here but if not, this is a pretty rare bird, I think and usually a winter visitor from Russia or the Baltic.  I understand there to be small colonies of breeding bird but I have been unable to ascertain where.  Anybody know?  It is usually a sea bird and Rochdale is a long, long way from the North Sea in a Russian direction and 30 or 40 miles from the Irish Sea.

It's a beautiful creature.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5911 on: 29 August, 2021, 09:22:05 am »
Thanks on the slow worm ID confirmations   :)
It is simpler than it looks.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5912 on: 29 August, 2021, 09:48:13 am »
A male goldeneye duck on Rochdale Canal!  I don't know if there are "captive escapes" up here but if not, this is a pretty rare bird, I think and usually a winter visitor from Russia or the Baltic.  I understand there to be small colonies of breeding bird but I have been unable to ascertain where.  Anybody know?  It is usually a sea bird and Rochdale is a long, long way from the North Sea in a Russian direction and 30 or 40 miles from the Irish Sea.

It's a beautiful creature.

They breed in the highlands apparently: https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/goldeneye/

Plenty of them in Furryboottoon in winter.

« Reply #5913 on: 29 August, 2021, 11:19:31 am »
Yes, but Aberdeen practically is in The Baltic.  Rochdale's in The Tropics!  I suppose you will be used to them - I nearly fell off my bike!  Thanks for the info.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5914 on: 29 August, 2021, 11:24:42 am »
Rather a lot of swallows gathered together on a telephone cable this morning.  The swifts went some time ago, but I was enjoying watching the skimming low level aerobatics of the swallows every morning in the park.
I'm sure they were here well into late September last year.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5915 on: 01 September, 2021, 05:37:37 pm »
Last Thursday and Friday: a hare jogging down a path between tall maize stalks towards me. Stopped when about 10m away. Don't know if it hadn't noticed me before or just didn't care. It sat in a very typical hare posture, which allowed me to notice how unlike a rabbit's its paws are. Then it turned round, bounded off and I followed at a somewhat slower pace.

Later, a cormorant catching an eel. First it caught it, then it threw it back into the water. I wondered if this might be a stunning mechanism. Bird and fish disappeared for a minute before emerging with the eel in the cormorant's beak. A bit of juggling to get the right position, then half a dozen gulps and the eel was gone.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5916 on: 04 September, 2021, 11:46:57 am »
We had a hedgehog in the garden last night.

« Reply #5917 on: 05 September, 2021, 01:29:46 pm »
Buzzards. Five of them all at once! Kites we’re used to seeing in such numbers (and more) but not buzzards.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5918 on: 05 September, 2021, 01:42:32 pm »
Elephant hawkmoth catapiller

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5919 on: 05 September, 2021, 03:24:04 pm »
Buzzards. Five of them all at once! Kites we’re used to seeing in such numbers (and more) but not buzzards.

Mum, Dad and the kids eating out -the family that preys together.  We have lots of buzzards here but only occasional kites, probably because of all the buzzards.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5920 on: 05 September, 2021, 08:28:49 pm »
I saw a buzzard from Datchet flying over the queen's garden this afternoon  :)
A
the slower you go the more you see

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5921 on: 05 September, 2021, 09:34:50 pm »
It’s like Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets here tonight: spider central! Big buggers an’ all! My usual phlegm and fortitude deserted me with one; it was going too fast for me to grab a glass and card and it was too big to allow it to get under the sofa: the sofa I WAS SITTING ON!

I apologised to it before and after the deed.

:-[
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #5922 on: 05 September, 2021, 10:20:50 pm »
I saw a buzzard from Datchet flying over the queen's garden this afternoon  :)
A
How do you know it was from Datchet?
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #5923 on: 06 September, 2021, 08:51:25 am »
It said so  :D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #5924 on: 06 September, 2021, 09:08:55 am »
It said so  :D
There's no arguing with a buzzard.  :D
Never knowingly under caffeinated