Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2962103 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #23275 on: 18 September, 2021, 12:26:15 pm »
It's not out of paper you fucktard operating system (Mint).  It's 'offline'.  Quotes because it wasn't offline, it had decided to change it's IP for reasons best known to itself.  Half an hour of my life wasted figuring that out.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23276 on: 18 September, 2021, 01:04:35 pm »
It's not out of paper you fucktard operating system (Mint).  It's 'offline'.  Quotes because it wasn't offline, it had decided to change it's IP for reasons best known to itself.  Half an hour of my life wasted figuring that out.

It's Linux, so it's only out of paper if it says lp0 on fire

« Reply #23277 on: 18 September, 2021, 01:31:15 pm »
Here in Leafy Bucks it’s a really lovely early autumn day. Light airs, high cloud, warm. So I’m sitting out the back. Some bastard has lit a bonfire  >:( >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23278 on: 18 September, 2021, 01:43:08 pm »
Something was on fire at 7am this morning.  I know this because I was rudely awakened by my lungs.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23279 on: 18 September, 2021, 10:58:02 pm »
That was my yesterday, smelt like neighbour had lit a traditional bedouin camel dung fire
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #23280 on: 28 September, 2021, 07:04:02 pm »
Delivery driver (parecelforce if anyone’s keeping score). I know you’re just in a van, and not driving a fuel tanker, so missing out on a pay rise. But really, the competence you showed today makes me think it’s best if you’re not adding to the fuel industry’s woes.

First, the standard moan:
Use the bell. Or knock if you prefer. It isn’t camouflaged and it does work. Don’t just assume I’m going to hear you park. Or, more likely, assume I’m out at the time I’ve been told to expect a delivery. I say more likely, as you were heading off as opened the door. Without putting a card through the door.

But more particularly:
See the dark clouds, and how you’ve needed the wipers on your van for the really heavy showers? I mention this because the “safe place” for a cardboard box marked “keep dry” and “flour” on a day like today really isn’t in the open on our drive.

Also, where’s the second box? There’s a suspicious lack of “we’ve got a parcel for you tomorrow”.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #23281 on: 28 September, 2021, 07:52:11 pm »
I mention this because the “safe place” for a cardboard box marked “keep dry” and “flour” on a day like today really isn’t in the open on our drive.

Oddly enough, I had similar a couple of days ago.

10 kg bags of Caputo OO Pizza flour, left out in the rain.
Fortunately, inside the outer cardboard packaging, the actual bags of flour were sealed in a couple of stout polythene bags.

« Reply #23282 on: 28 September, 2021, 08:54:52 pm »
The box I got was sturdy cardboard with standard paper bags of flour in it. The big bag of white flour is the missing one. (The extra bags create variety and get me over the free delivery amount.)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #23283 on: 03 October, 2021, 06:32:43 pm »
Oi, Sainbo's! What in blue blazes have you done with my list of favourites, you swines?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #23284 on: 18 October, 2021, 06:03:39 pm »
Mrs P (belatedly, due to trying to steer clear of the rant thread)

Same place as they've put all their tea, rice cakes, sugar, cake fruit, coffee, and other everyday items they can't seem to find in order to deliver, yet the shop actually has in stock if we make the 50 mile round trip to it.
Wombat

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #23285 on: 18 October, 2021, 06:22:03 pm »
I have decided that it's probably something to do with our internets. If I use the mobile to place an order the favourites are all there and it's just generally less crap all round.
Not that it is helping with the complete absence of my preferred bread flour though...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23286 on: 19 October, 2021, 07:02:38 am »
Some knobend spams eBay with listings of s/h Moultons at high prices with a "COMING SOON" picture.  He/she/it never adds photos and no-one in their right mind would buy without a photo.  I suspect a scam. 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #23287 on: 19 October, 2021, 12:23:15 pm »
I saw something similar on some networking kit I wanted (generic useless title, just with the manufacturer's name and a listing number).
I wonder if it's to do with an ebay offer - I had one limiting selling fees to £1 for a maximum of 100 items. List loads of stuff now that no-one will but to lock in the offer, then update listings as you have stuff to sell.

« Reply #23288 on: 19 October, 2021, 01:08:07 pm »
Taking photos is the time-consuming bit of listings, so making the listing to take advantage of the offer then adding photos later makes sense.

« Reply #23289 on: 19 October, 2021, 07:29:26 pm »
Checking out the possibility of a day trip to Milton Keynes.... £74 return from Liverpool   :jurek: ,  and that's booking several weeks in advance.  Splitting it into shorter legs doesn't seem to help either.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23290 on: 20 October, 2021, 11:05:05 am »
So, I NEED a new tyre because one of mine has a huge lump missing from the sidewall. It’s too early for winter tyres and the tread on all the tyres is fine.  Therefore a straight like for like replacement is required.

Google and their webby science however are more interested in advertising national tyre fitters rather than providing coherent and specific data to my detailed requirements. I already know that kwikfit sell tyres, and I know that black circles will come to my home with a van full of garage equipment and fit the tyre for free*. But it’s a bit pointless telling me about them when the advertised fitters do not have the said item in stock nor able to source them.

Just what is the point of me providing detailed search requirements if I’ve then got to scroll through pages of tyres to find that they don’t even have anything to match those requirements.

Do no evil my arse.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23291 on: 20 October, 2021, 11:10:05 am »
Is the non-availability of specific varieties of rubber another of those Brexit BonusesTM about which we hear so much these days?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #23292 on: 20 October, 2021, 11:16:47 am »

Just what is the point of me providing detailed search requirements if I’ve then got to scroll through pages of tyres to find that they don’t even have anything to match those requirements.

Do no evil my arse.

It's not just out in the real world. Yesterday I was asked to create a group mailbox. I know the notwork Service Catalog (sic) calls this "Create Group Mailbox MODNET" so that's what I typed into the Service Catalog (sic) Engine of Searchings. "Create Group Mailbox MODNET" was number seven on the results list, below six totally unrelated and irrelevant items. ::-).
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ian

« Reply #23293 on: 20 October, 2021, 11:21:46 am »
I looked online for facemasks yesterday (those ffp2 ones, because aeroplane), good god, there's thousands listed, or which probably five aren't Chinese fakes. Good luck finding them amongst the millions of listings.

So I went to the chemists (Boots and Superdrug) and they didn't have any.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23294 on: 20 October, 2021, 11:51:01 am »
Is the non-availability of specific varieties of rubber another of those Brexit BonusesTM about which we hear so much these days?
It hasn’t been said, but my local garage, my usual first choice, because support local, said he couldn’t get an “Y” rubber and to try a large chain. My suspicions are on transport and import difficulties though.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #23295 on: 20 October, 2021, 12:03:40 pm »
I looked online for facemasks yesterday (those ffp2 ones, because aeroplane), good god, there's thousands listed, or which probably five aren't Chinese fakes. Good luck finding them amongst the millions of listings.

https://totobobo.co.uk    I've been using one of these for ages,  and I believe Kim has one as well.   A good seal & replaceable filters.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #23296 on: 20 October, 2021, 12:15:54 pm »

« Reply #23297 on: 20 October, 2021, 12:23:49 pm »
It hasn’t been said, but my local garage, my usual first choice, because support local, said he couldn’t get an “Y” rubber and to try a large chain. My suspicions are on transport and import difficulties though.

A Y rating is supercar territory - 186mph+.  You'll probably only need a V at best, so V or W would do - assuming your choice of tyre comes in thsose flavours.

My approach would be to get 2 new tyres, and keep the part worn good tyre as an emergency spare.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #23298 on: 20 October, 2021, 01:23:30 pm »

https://totobobo.co.uk    I've been using one of these for ages,  and I believe Kim has one as well.   A good seal & replaceable filters.
I use one of these:
https://www.safetysupplies.co.uk/product/respiratory-protection/half-masks/3m-7500-series-reusable-half-mask-respirator-6035-particulate-filter-kit/

Has the added bonus of frightening most children, and some adults.
Anecdotally we had an engineer in who tried to get on a 'plane (from Edinburgh to Brizzle) with a higher spec mask he had from working in some factory or other and he was refused- he had to have a bog standard FFP2. The staff who are letting you on don't know what the rating of your respiratory protection is- they can only go by what it looks like- 'right' or 'wrong'.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23299 on: 20 October, 2021, 01:24:20 pm »

It isn't anywhere near as comfortable or good at sealing as...

one of these:
https://www.safetysupplies.co.uk/product/respiratory-protection/half-masks/3m-7500-series-reusable-half-mask-respirator-6035-particulate-filter-kit/

Which I have for dealing with VOCs, sanding wood, cleaning the oven and similar.

On the other hand, the tobototobotobototobo one merely gets you funny looks, rather than...

frightening most children, and some adults.

More importantly, the tobototobotobototobo filters in both directions, and is about as glasses-friendly as these things get.