Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 842758 times)

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #6200 on: 04 October, 2021, 09:34:12 pm »
Or build out

In Usanian retail development-speak, to "build out" means to construct tenant improvements within a "shell building" or vacant space.
If it's within a shell building, that's back to front – you're actually building in from the outside! But at the same time it makes perfect sense.

It's like fit out, but with structure and not just interior design.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6201 on: 05 October, 2021, 12:44:43 am »
Okay, this one does make me cringe. And vomit. Even though it's grammatically flawless.
"Sexually challenged people" as a euphemism (or rather a dysphemism – I'd like to say "cacophemism") for gay, bi, otherwise non-heterosexual people.

I think I remember that one from The Official Politically Correct Dictionary & Handbook, a problematic piece of satire I encountered at a formative age.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6202 on: 05 October, 2021, 11:04:42 am »
I don't remember The Official Politically Correct Dictionary & Handbook but I do remember a fashion in the 90s for describing all sorts of characteristics as "... challenged" eg "vertically challenged" for short. Perhaps that originated with this book? It could also be somewhere like that that this person got the "sexually challenged" phrase, as he was using it in a way which indicated he thought it was a good way to refer to people, and English is not his first language.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6203 on: 05 October, 2021, 11:57:58 am »
"Sexually challenged" is one of those phrases that says more about the person using it than the people it purports to describe.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6204 on: 05 October, 2021, 12:03:44 pm »
See also "woke".
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6205 on: 05 October, 2021, 12:42:48 pm »
This is interesting. From a Graun article about Korean words included in the OED:
The inclusion of “skinship” is more surprising. Commonly used in South Korea, where it is rendered as seukinsip, and Japan (sukinshippu) it captures the emotional bond that comes from close physical contact between a parent and child, lovers and friends, the dictionary said.
When does a word become Korean (or Japanese or French or whatever)? Do Koreans consider seukinsip to be a Korean word or an English one? Or maybe just a Korean word of foreign origin? See intelligentsia, cul-de-sac, etc. Also, we have ways of expressing the idea of skinship in English, but only in a phrase. Why have we never developed a single word for it on our own?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6206 on: 05 October, 2021, 01:18:47 pm »
Meanwhile, a New Scientist entry in FB reveals a less-than-PC attitude towards the people who kept up their gout supplies when Napoleon put his foot on the claret pipeline:

"The Azores, some 1400 kilometres off the west coast of Europe, were settled by the Portuguese in the 1400s, but now there’s evidence people had lived there 700 years earlier" (my italics).
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6207 on: 05 October, 2021, 01:38:42 pm »
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It just says the first people to settle in the Azores were not the Portuguese around 1400 but some other people around 700.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6208 on: 05 October, 2021, 03:45:58 pm »
Other makes a difference. But what the hell, PC is a straitjacket anyway.

citoyen

« Reply #6209 on: 05 October, 2021, 04:12:26 pm »
Other makes a difference.

I'm with Cudzo on this - I think that's implicit.

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #6210 on: 09 October, 2021, 12:36:02 am »
249 pages in, and I have not read them all (so cannot guarantee that this has not been metioned before*), but I have always assumed that this thread shoul dhave been titled "grammar what makes you cringe."

*probably has...
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6211 on: 09 October, 2021, 08:42:31 am »
Other makes a difference.

I'm with Cudzo on this - I think that's implicit.

Yeah. Tend to agree but it was a dull day.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6212 on: 12 October, 2021, 10:45:21 am »
The Oxford comma is a stylistic thing. It's part of the house style of OUP, hence its name. All three of your lists above are correct (IMO), use whichever you prefer – or whichever is the preference of whoever is paying you – just be consistent (within any one text).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6213 on: 12 October, 2021, 11:54:32 am »
Classic example for use of Oxford comma is in a book dedication:

To my parents, the Queen and God.
To my parents, the Queen, and God.

The second shows you are not a deity/monarch.

Other than that, I don’t like the Oxford Comma at all as it breaks the flow when reading.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6214 on: 12 October, 2021, 12:40:13 pm »
The Oxford comma is a stylistic thing. It's part of the house style of OUP, hence its name. All three of your lists above are correct (IMO), use whichever you prefer – or whichever is the preference of whoever is paying you – just be consistent (within any one text).

ISTR that Inspector Morse favoured it. That probably didn't come across on TV.

citoyen

« Reply #6215 on: 12 October, 2021, 01:37:04 pm »
I agree with Cudzo.

Slightly different point on use of commas but this has reminded me of the popular beat combo called Let’s Eat Grandma, whose name is a grammatical joke.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6216 on: 12 October, 2021, 10:23:28 pm »
I reckon the Slovak approach is much more sensible, but the Oxford comma is a mostly harmless and occasionally necessary disambiguation hack.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6217 on: 12 October, 2021, 10:48:37 pm »
I like and use Oxford commas.

« Reply #6218 on: 13 October, 2021, 08:46:04 am »
"I like, and use Oxford commas", surely ?  :-D
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #6219 on: 13 October, 2021, 09:44:08 am »
I may be wrong but I'd have thought it only comes into play when you have a list of 3 or more things. There can be no ambiguity - of the type which the Oxford comma aims to avoid - when there are only two items.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6220 on: 13 October, 2021, 11:22:50 am »
The Gammon  comma ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, on the other hand ,,,,,,,,, should make everyone cringe.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6221 on: 13 October, 2021, 12:18:14 pm »
Have you heard of the Oxford comma?

I learned to speak english in far-northern America, but never heard of this Oxford comma, I rather learned to list things like the way you call British. Maybe it's a relatively new thing?

Apparantly, without the Oxford comma Americans are uncertain as to whether there are three or four items in the list.

For me, there are three items in A, B, C or D, but four items in A, B, C and D, with or without an extra comma. Are the Americans confused between the meanings of "and" and "or" ?

« Reply #6222 on: 13 October, 2021, 12:54:47 pm »
Your example is perfectly clear for me. How can "A, B, C and D" mean 3 items for some people is not clear.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6223 on: 13 October, 2021, 01:26:28 pm »
Your example is perfectly clear for me. How can "A, B, C and D" mean 3 items for some people is not clear.

To use a notation that avoids the ambiguity, it's the difference between {"A", "B", "C", "D"}  and  {"A", "B", "C and D"}

"For dessert we have ice-cream, CAKE, cheese and biscuits."  Are cheese and biscuits two items, or one item consisting of two parts?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6224 on: 14 October, 2021, 09:00:05 am »
It's possible to have ambiguity with only two items. "I like macaroni and cheese. But I don't like macaroni and cheese." Though in this example you can avoid the ambiguity by being American and calling the dish "mac and cheese".