Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3007922 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Enter the Byron Touch-free door bell. The bell push is a proximity sensor (ostensibly being sold as Covid safe). Shove it on the door frame at moggy height and hey presto, they have their own doorbell.
 :D

But presumably, so do all the other cats (+ whatever other miscellaneous creatures roam the streets) in the neighbourhood...

True, but the chime unit is a plug in job so I can just turn it off when they're in at night.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Beardy

• Shedist
A day trip to THAT LONDON today to take lunch with my sister who was visiting from Furryboottoon.

Observations not including mask compliance on the tube and stations (slightly less than 50% at a guess)

it wasn’t busy. In fact I’d go as far to say that walking down Regent Street was perhaps the quietest I’ve ever experienced.

On regent street and in and around Covent Garden, there are a lot of shops empty. I’ve seen this in provincial towns, but to see it in the capital city’s prime retail areas was quite a shock.

THAT LONDON is still dirty, noisy and EXPENSIVE.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

A day trip to THAT LONDON today to take lunch with my sister who was visiting from Furryboottoon.

Observations not including mask compliance on the tube and stations (slightly less than 50% at a guess)

it wasn’t busy. In fact I’d go as far to say that walking down Regent Street was perhaps the quietest I’ve ever experienced.

On regent street and in and around Covent Garden, there are a lot of shops empty. I’ve seen this in provincial towns, but to see it in the capital city’s prime retail areas was quite a shock.

THAT LONDON is still dirty, noisy and EXPENSIVE.
But... but... but.... if you use the tube, and you check when you get home, you'll find that you have black bogeys.
What's not to like?

Lots of noise & shouting from outside, with a large vehicle involved, so I stick my head over the balcony to see a fire engine parked outside, firemen lifting a manhole cover & hosing down the adjacent area.

I popped down to find out what was happening,  the external soil pipe that serves 5 flats is blocked at the bottom & it's all flooded into the ground floor flat.   The poor girl who lives there can't get in touch with the rental agent or landlord & is abandoning flat to stay with friends.   

The external pipes are the responsibility of the management company that does all the maintenance,  I've left a message for them.    If I have to flush the loo tonight it's going to cause a mess somewhere!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

One of these. I recognised it a mile off

Rust never sleeps

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Woops. Wrong thread !  Thank you.
Rust never sleeps

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Moving some stuff in the garage earlier, it wasn't so much
My hovercraft is full of eels, as
My hovermower is full of spiders.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

A Sturdy Chap has turned up & is jetting the blocked drain......    I can smell it from the top floor....  :sick:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Beardy

• Shedist
A Sturdy Chap has turned up & is jetting the blocked drain......    I can smell it from the top floor....  :sick:
He’s probably just going through the motions.

Coat you say? That sheepskin one.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Peckish? And lost? Turns out that, just like the end of the universe, the end of the internet also has a restaurant: https://fiercelovedesign.medium.com/the-restaurant-at-the-end-of-the-internet-31c826a1c62

well, sort of...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/19639199.ramsden-heath-man-arrested-suspicion-murder/

Whilst murder can never be described as a small thing, I've put this in here because it doesn't really warrant a thread of its own. This occurred immediately adjacent to where I used to live. The building behind the trees is in what was once my parents' garden.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
This unsolved killin' took place in the actual house wot I actually lived in about nine years later.  Natch we didn’t find out about it until after we'd moved out, but whoever owned the place after the murder never did get round to revarnishing the parquet floor at the foot of the stairs.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
This unsolved killin' took place in the actual house wot I actually lived in about nine years later.  Natch we didn’t find out about it until after we'd moved out, but whoever owned the place after the murder never did get round to revarnishing the parquet floor at the foot of the stairs.

I remember that very well - I was living at Buckhurst Hill, probably only about half a mile away.  A school-friend of of one my brothers knew the victim and was questioned by the Police . . . and IIRC the forensic investigation was somewhat compromised by the snowfall and the heavy-footed rozzers wandering about in said snow.

ian

Ok, my job title on Linked-In features the words Director of Business Intelligence, so I'm very pleased to be asked by a supplier of surveillance tools and a platform to manage them if I might be interested in such things. She doesn't mention whether it includes satellites that can peer through people's windows or access to frikkin lasers, and other spy paraphernalia.

I'm all hers if they do shark-tank installations.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Ok, my job title on Linked-In features the words Director of Business Intelligence, so I'm very pleased to be asked by a supplier of surveillance tools and a platform to manage them if I might be interested in such things. She doesn't mention whether it includes satellites that can peer through people's windows or access to frikkin lasers, and other spy paraphernalia.

I'm all hers if they do shark-tank installations.

People spot 'NHS Contracting' in my job title on LinkedIn and seem to think I'm responsible for procurement of goods...  meaning I get all sorts of daft approaches.  Even the briefest perusal of my LinkedIn resume should dispel that myth straight off.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Beardy

• Shedist
Is LinkedIn used by anyone for anything vaguely useful, or is it just used by a load of chancers to sell or recruit?

I've never found much/any use for mine.  My ex-wife did attempt to contact me via LinkedIn.  But that hardly constitutes a bonus.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Is LinkedIn used by anyone for anything vaguely useful, or is it just used by a load of chancers to sell or recruit?

Stolen from some radio comedy or other: "LinkedIn. It's like Facebook, but all your friends work in recruitment and you don't care if they die."

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ian

Stalking for work purposes, innit.

To be fair, when my current mothership asked me if I had a CV, I told them to look at LinkedIn, which absolved me of the responsibility of assembling words (since the last time I did a CV, I was probably in primary school). It gets used increasingly for first-line recruitment.

My last mothership had an 'AI-based' recruitment system that did not in any way involve an office full of people in Bengaluru pretending to be chatbots. That's the future, where humans are employed to be bots.

ian

I have decided that she knows too much, so unfortunately – despite being in the bath at the time – she died in a not-at-all suspicious car accident featuring a second untraceable car at 10.03 pm tonight.

I managed to find two jobs via Linked-In. (well, recruiters found me, by searching for skillsets and 'people looking for job opportunities')

I've also used it to check background and connections of job candidates (and uncovered some porkies).

There is some very good blogging on linked in and decent training.

Yes, it is useful, but only if you need it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

I did note the other day that a former colleague of mine had a completely made up (and somewhat elevated) job title. Though it's not like people don't lie on CVs either (so it's good to crosscheck what they say publicly versus their CV, he's not the first to overpromote himself), but that one provided some mirth on the post-mothership WhatsApp group.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/19639199.ramsden-heath-man-arrested-suspicion-murder/

Whilst murder can never be described as a small thing, I've put this in here because it doesn't really warrant a thread of its own. This occurred immediately adjacent to where I used to live. The building behind the trees is in what was once my parents' garden.

Not murder. The police have changed their minds.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/ramsden-heath-death-essex-police-6048941
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Beardy

• Shedist
Thirty seven years ago today Dr Beardy (Mrs) and I were just dressing for dinner in the posh hotel we were spending our wedding night in.

This evening we’re just settling down to watch the latest Bond having been out for ‘dinner’ st the McDonald’s across the car park from the cinema.

Never let it be said that I haven’t forgotten how to show a girl a good time  ;D