Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2945765 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Congratulations Beardies.

Meanwhile today I received a bill from SSE, the supplier of the previous owner of our house.
For 20p.
I'm going to send them a cheque for being twats.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

nicknack

• Hornblower
Thirty seven years ago today Dr Beardy (Mrs) and I were just dressing for dinner in the posh hotel we were spending our wedding night in.

This evening we’re just settling down to watch the latest Bond having been out for ‘dinner’ st the McDonald’s across the car park from the cinema.

Never let it be said that I haven’t forgotten how to show a girl a good time  ;D
Congratulations!
It's our 40th in a month and a bit. I hope I can manage an equally exciting evening for Mrs n.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Congratulations Mr and Dr Beardy.

I quite like LinkedIn. I can keep in touch with ex colleagues (I did this just yesterday) without any expectation that I’ll use Facebook or that we want to share or day to day, rather than congratulations on moves and promotions. Like Ian I’ve also had my “cv” generated from it, without me having to think too hard. I’ve not embraced publishing articles for people’s edification there though.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Ok, my job title on Linked-In features the words Director of Business Intelligence, so I'm very pleased to be asked by a supplier of surveillance tools and a platform to manage them if I might be interested in such things. She doesn't mention whether it includes satellites that can peer through people's windows or access to frikkin lasers, and other spy paraphernalia.

I'm all hers if they do shark-tank installations.

People spot 'NHS Contracting' in my job title on LinkedIn and seem to think I'm responsible for procurement of goods...  meaning I get all sorts of daft approaches.  Even the briefest perusal of my LinkedIn resume should dispel that myth straight off.

Ah, so it’s you that is responsible for privatisation then!
It is simpler than it looks.

Back in the old times pre-2020, my office had a drugs and alcohol policy (very  low limits) enforced through random checks selected by desk number.

It's unknown how this applies to working from home, but what we do have now is random checks of those who do turn up to the office : have they reported the result of a recent lateral flow test?

I met a bloke from Kent at the bus stop today who didn't know if he was a man of Kent or a Kentish man and, furthermore, had never heard of the distinction.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Whereas I have merely long forgotten which is which.  And I was born in Northamptonshire anyway.  (I did once live in Kent, my dad was born there)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
...and Kentish MAN is a JANET thing.

Beardy

• Shedist
What’s the universities pre-internet got to do with it?

My s-in-l hails from Kent and has explained this to me, but I’ve forgotten. BEER might have been involved.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
What’s the universities pre-internet got to do with it?

Mostly that they should be applauded for using an obvious pun, rather than just calling it InvictaNet or similar.  Far too many things in Kent are already called Invicta.  It's almost as bad as Robin Hood in Nottingham.

Clare

• Is in NZ
From a course enquiry website to us:

Someone has registered their interest in the following course:

Please find their details below:

Purpose: I’ve got a question

Question (optional): i am a lady, what other work can i do?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
My s-in-l hails from Kent and has explained this to me, but I’ve forgotten. BEER might have been involved.

Talking of beer, there is a pub called the Man of Kent, from which the Audax event gets its name. If it helps you to remember, the event and the pub are both in the Tonbridge area, in West Kent.

If the pub were in East Kent, it would be the Kentish Man.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

nicknack

• Hornblower

Talking of beer, there is a pub called the Man of Kent, from which the Audax event gets its name. If it helps you to remember, the event and the pub are both in the Tonbridge area, in West Kent.

If the pub were in East Kent, it would be the Kentish Man.
This Man of Kent says you have that back to front.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
This Man of Kent says you have that back to front.

You're absolutely right.  :facepalm:

The Man of Kent pub is in West Kent administratively speaking, but it is east of the Medway, which is what matters.

I should have realised my mistake straight away - I'm a Kentish Man, and I was born in Maidstone, west of the Medway.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-59003006

“ Fisherman's Friend tycoon leaves £41m to hometown Fleetwood”
Another reason to like them.   Oddly I used to see them frequently in supermarkets in USA, all flavours.   

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
In Denmark Fisherman's Friend is in a different part of the shop than compared to here. It took me years find them. Cause who would have thought that you store candy in the pharmacy part of the shop.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
There's nowt these days to beat the original Victory V lozenges with the formula printed on them: chloroform, iodoform, linseed & liquorice.  Last time I had one it was as if someone had added a pint of whisky to a standard measure of whisky and called it whisky. Peely-wally rubbish.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Pyrrhic Victory Vs?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

I often read academic papers, sometimes for your benefit, but this is one you should read yourselves.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
 ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Ah, so they expect him to die.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I often read academic papers, sometimes for your benefit, but this is one you should read yourselves.

You really don't want to know some of the "academic" papers i get to read.  Some of them should be in crayon.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Whilst I was stomping down to the park for my constitutional this evening, an Asda delivery van went past me. It turned right, and a few seconds later I saw it parked and its driver in the process of delivering goodies. He greeted me cheerily so I returned the compliment.

"Do you remember me?" he continued.

"Sorry, I don't," I replied.

"I used to work for the council, gardening and picking up litter, mostly in Churchill Gardens. You used to come through there with a dog, and sometimes I'd see you on your bike. Well, you've been a real inspiration to me: my wife and I have recently bought bikes and since we've been cycling I've lost over 2 stones in weight."

We continued to pass the time of day for a while, talking about this and that, as you do, but I was dead chuffed by that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The students nextdoor have just Proclaimers-rolled me through the wall.