Author Topic: Carbon Offsetting Airline Flights  (Read 1887 times)

Carbon Offsetting Airline Flights
« on: 19 June, 2010, 12:24:22 pm »
I want to get to the South of Italy for a week or so in August. I had initially wanted to go by train but this looks like three days travelling each way, which although might be interesting in itself, is not what I'm taking the time off work for*. It's also expensive.  

So, I'm resigned to taking a flight there - Stansted to Naples with EasyJet looks like the best option for me, and I'd like to offset in some way the CO2 emissions from these flights. EasyJet actually offer this as an option when booking a ticket. easyJet carbon offsetting The cynic in me though suspects that some of these schemes are largely greenwash and have a negligible impact.

Are there credible offsetting alternatives, or are EasyJet quite progressive in this respect?

(I have done a bit of web-searching this morning for offsetting info. but most of it seems tailored for households and business')

*A book containing some photos of mine is going to be promoted locally as it details migration stories of people from the region to Sydney, Australia. More on that here, and here.

Re: Carbon Offsetting Airline Flights
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2010, 04:54:56 pm »
Climate Care, Pure and World Land Trust are the three Which say give the most open information about their schemes.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

The Mechanic

« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2010, 08:54:56 am »
IMHO carbon offsetting is the biggest scam going.  If you are really concerned about saving the planet, plant a tree and don't fly.   It is easy for airlines to offer these schemes in order to lure gullible travels wanting to do their bit.  However, they cost the airline nothing, you pay for this service, not them, but they get the glory and pay nothing to alleviate the effects of thier business on the planet.  Scam, scam , scam.

« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2010, 10:11:48 am »
True, but if you are flying then it's better than not doing it at all.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2010, 10:25:05 am »
Thanks for the links AWL, it would seem that 0.66 tonnes of CO2 can be offset for less than a tenner. :thumbsup: Makes me wonder why it isn't compulsory for all flights?

« Reply #5 on: 21 June, 2010, 10:43:03 am »
Thanks for the links AWL, it would seem that 0.66 tonnes of CO2 can be offset for less than a tenner. :thumbsup: Makes me wonder why it isn't compulsory for all flights?

1) Some people would whinge about the airlines adding more "stealth taxes"

2) There's considerable debate about whether planting an appropriate amount of tree will make a difference:-

2a) There's significant lag between the immediate CO2 release by the aeroplane and the time it takes a tree to grow and capture all of that CO2
2b) The aeroplane is releasing CO2 at altitude which is different from it being released (and captured) at ground level.
2c) Flying is just the devil's form of transport (so say the environmentalists)* so no matter what is done it's just bad OK.

*lights blue touchpaper and retires to a safe distance...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #6 on: 21 June, 2010, 11:20:00 am »
If I could have a choice, I think I'd favour a carbon capture and storage scheme.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 24 June, 2010, 10:02:48 am »
Just go to the south of Italy on the plane, don't feel bad about it and try and do other stuff to reduce your carbon footprint.  Last year the Vorsprung family went to Turkey.  My sister lives out there some of the time.  It was a fantastic opportunity to see another culture.  This year we are lower carbon for the holiday, cycling around the Netherlands.

ISTR seeing some research that showed that the train was actually less carbon efficient than a plane, partly because airlines are better at cramming people in.  If you travel that distance it is going to use up resources and that's the way it is.

If you want to plant some trees why not do it in your own neighbourhood?  Maybe even plant them yourself.