Author Topic: 3-layer (rain) jackets  (Read 3448 times)

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
3-layer (rain) jackets
« on: 05 October, 2010, 09:50:47 am »
We are looking for new 'rain jacket' for Ms N. The old one is giving up the ghost - it is now more of windbreaker ... (a middle range Berghaus model ca 2001, 2-layer Gore Tex). I made very good experiences with 3-layer Alpine style Gore Tex jacket. In 2002, I bought an Arc'teryx Theta jacket, see:

Mainly because it is tough enough for special use (climbing, skiing) and everyday abuse (incl. utility cycling). Her use patterns are similar. Main issue of those jackets is the price - a quick search suggests nothing below 150 quid, realistically closer to 200. OTAH, I feel the price is justifiable taken the long term use into account. Oh and there is the chance that her employer may shoulder some/all of the costs.  

Any thoughts on this line of reasoning? Any suggestions for a value for money jacket in this section?
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

Re: 3-layer (rain) jackets
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2010, 09:56:54 am »
have you tried a Paramo?  Similar priced but different approach, we've been very impressed with ours apart from carrying heavy backpacks in torrential rain when they do get a bit damp. 

They are, unfortunately, bloody ugly.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2010, 01:35:04 pm »
Recently had cause to use Paramo jacket (well, a smock) and trousers in very wet unsheltered conditions near Newport for prolonged periods.

Excellent.
It is simpler than it looks.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2010, 06:51:39 pm »
How about the Montane eVent Angel. Looks like it might only be 2-layer though.

Or Rab do the Latok , which is 3-layer eVent.

I think eVent is supposed to be an improvement on Goretex, although other more outdoorsy folks on here might be better placed to comment on that!
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2010, 07:14:13 pm »
Paramo works very well in colder weather, and will last a long time, but many people find it too warm for much of the year, and it needs looking after as it depends absolutely on the liner being properly water repellent.
(wash old detergent out the washing machine before washing with soap or tech wash, occasional reproofing with the nikwax wash in stuff).

EVent does indeed work better than Goretex. Gore are meant to be coming out with their answer "Action Shell" next year some time.

I got a Montane Stormrider for £90 off a couple of weeks back. Worth while if you are the correct size.

« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2010, 10:13:32 pm »
paramo again...  All the instructors I saw in the cairngorms last week were wearing them, some 5+ years old and very battered but still working perfectly.   The ones I spoke to had moved from goretex because it didnt last long enough.. YMMV of course, but we love ours.  I'm quite sweaty when going uphill and much prefer it, even when I'm a bit wet through sweat (because they are warmer) I dont get cold and clammy like I would with goretex.  I run in mine in the winter too.

« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2010, 11:18:50 pm »
Keela Munro is an excellent jacket which is very hard wearing and breathable. You can get one for about £110 to £120 if you shop around or for even less if you live close to the factory shop in Glenrothes ;)
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #7 on: 20 November, 2010, 08:32:27 am »
paramo again...  All the instructors I saw in the cairngorms last week were wearing them, some 5+ years old and very battered but still working perfectly.   The ones I spoke to had moved from goretex because it didnt last long enough...

Thanks for pointing out this make. Never heard of Paramo but it looks very much like a valid option. Also the question of longevity is interesting.

Keela Munro is an excellent jacket which is very hard wearing and breathable. You can get one for about £110 to £120 if you shop around or for even less if you live close to the factory shop in Glenrothes ;)
Also looks interesting as this one:
Or Rab do the Latok , which is 3-layer eVent.

Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 20 November, 2010, 07:01:05 pm »
Pingu's got one of these. It seems to be quite bulky to me, but he likes it.
I was all set to have a nose round the factory shop last week when I was at my mum's, but it was 5 mins after lunchtime closing by the time I'd got lost in the industrial estate. They might be having a factory sale on the 4th Dec though. But we'll miss it due to being in Embra that day :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #10 on: 23 November, 2010, 10:11:31 am »
I have a paramo quito jacket - it's certainly not one I'd wear in temps above 12-14 degrees as I'd sweat too much (although at low intensity such as on tour, it's not so bad). However, the major appeal to me was that if the water repellent proofing on the outer is worn then it's still waterproof but just wets out a bit. Between the enormous pit vents and double ended main zip it works just great even for a heavy sweater like me. Plus they can be repaired, just a week after I bought it a bloke serving me in a shop was telling me his was now 6 or 7 years old and he just got it back from Paramo to repair a rip - they replaced the whole panel of fabric, cleaned and re-proofed it and charged him about £30.

As pointed out above, it doubles as a winter jacket seeing as it's nice and warm too and is genuinely breathable enough to wear on the bike all day. Only down side is that the hood can't be removed so I get a bit sweaty at the upper back but it does contribute to a nice high collar and I even wore the hood up once in a hail storm.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)