Author Topic: Another campsite recommendation request please?  (Read 1934 times)

LindaG

Another campsite recommendation request please?
« on: 06 July, 2011, 10:24:37 pm »
Somewhere quiet-ish, and safe for a lone female (in a car, sorry) to stay for a few days.  Preferably near water.  I can take food with me, but would like some nice views from the site as I'm not allowed to walk far.

I've looked at so many web sites my branes are fried.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
Re: Another campsite recommendation request please?
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:33:25 pm »
Where in the world lol ?

LindaG

« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:36:06 pm »
Oops, silly me.  Between about, ooh, Preston/Hull and Edinburgh/Glasgow.  I can't drive for long stretches 'cos of the Foot.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2011, 11:04:43 pm »
Well I love Edale as it is local for me as I'm from Manchester, so its between Preston and Hull I suppose

Fieldhead Campsite, Edale, Peak District

Edale being where the Mass Tresspass was in 1930 ? and Britains second highest peak 'Kinder Scout' of what my little girls climbed at aged 4 & 6 yrs old.

Theres also Mam Tor and plenty of not so hilly walks. No big water though theres plenty of Brooks. Oh there is a big water, on the other side of Kinder Scout', Torside Res, Woodhead Res & Ladbower Res although with a bad leg I doubt you'll be doing any climbing over the Kinder. :)

LindaG

« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2011, 11:25:48 pm »
That looks really nice, thanks  :thumbsup:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2011, 01:10:41 am »
Well I love Edale as it is local for me as I'm from Manchester, so its between Preston and Hull I suppose

Fieldhead Campsite, Edale, Peak District

Edale being where the Mass Tresspass was in 1930 ? and Britains second highest peak 'Kinder Scout' of what my little girls climbed at aged 4 & 6 yrs old.

Theres also Mam Tor and plenty of not so hilly walks. No big water though theres plenty of Brooks. Oh there is a big water, on the other side of Kinder Scout', Torside Res, Woodhead Res & Ladbower Res although with a bad leg I doubt you'll be doing any climbing over the Kinder. :)

Funnily enough I was about to mention Edale, though it's not the closest place to Linda.  The famous trespasses were on Kinder. Be aware that if you attempt to go on a bank holiday or other such popular date, there's a good chance the campsites will be full.

If you look up the websites and guides for the Pennine Way, you should find a fair number of campsites that suit your needs.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 07 July, 2011, 09:39:09 am »
There's a fantastic site up above Silsden, but I can't recall the details.
Getting there...

LindaG

« Reply #7 on: 07 July, 2011, 09:43:49 am »
There's a fantastic site up above Silsden, but I can't recall the details.

Lower Heights Farm?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 07 July, 2011, 09:48:00 am »
Could be.  PM Butterfly - she's at home this morning, and is probably sitting near a copy of the Camping & Caravan Club's Big Sites Book (the very best and most comprehensive site guide ever published). ;D
Getting there...

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #9 on: 05 August, 2011, 07:34:45 pm »
If you can make the drive, try the Ogwen Valley; Gwern y Gof Uchaf, under the slopes of Tryfan. Lake, gorgeous mountains, waterfalls, buzzards and ravens....right on the A5 West of Capel Curig.