Author Topic: Heating on?  (Read 64256 times)

Re: Heating on?
« Reply #275 on: 30 September, 2021, 08:44:29 am »
16°C in my living room this morning.  I've put a 2nd layer on & am contemplating  closing the window transoms.    The only heat source is a massive storage heater right next to my desk,  if I put that on I'll be too warm all day!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #276 on: 30 September, 2021, 09:07:24 am »
We will definitely make it until tomorrow.

Ditto - I'm wearing shorts .... Mrs robgul is wearing jeans and a fleece gilet.   Raining but not cold here . . . . some of the garden furniture will be put in the shed today.

« Reply #277 on: 30 September, 2021, 09:12:34 am »
It doesn't seem to be. The other WFH person warms himself with banks of servers but my measly laptop is not doing enough for my feet. Thick socks and merino underthings are not helping enough.

12 months later and the same sitch.

I'm trying to work here but am too blimmin cold.

« Reply #278 on: 30 September, 2021, 09:21:08 am »
14°C at my desk and I'm freezing. My resolve may well crack today...

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #279 on: 30 September, 2021, 09:24:10 am »
My late wife would have had the heating on several days ago, but I'm trying not to.  Jumpers just been dug out and the shorts may have had their last outing for this year.

I did have a hospital procedure yesterday though and was feeling very sorry for myself last night so put the lounge gas fire on for a couple of hours and shut the doors.  Does that count?

« Reply #280 on: 30 September, 2021, 10:56:33 am »
CH heating on today with thermostat ~19C, but on control timer  & adjusted to the new post-bust-energy-company saver regime...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #281 on: 30 September, 2021, 01:37:42 pm »
My heating came on briefly earlier.
Southern softie.

« Reply #282 on: 30 September, 2021, 02:11:06 pm »
Shorts and jumper. In transition mode.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #283 on: 30 September, 2021, 03:08:40 pm »
Shorts and jumper. In transition mode.
I can identify with that approach...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #284 on: 30 September, 2021, 05:01:23 pm »
I've been wearing shorts with a fleece the last couple of weeks but this morning I was thinking the shorts will be going away soon. I've got to be in the actual office all next week so it'll be proper trousers (boo) then anyway.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #285 on: 30 September, 2021, 05:26:16 pm »
Two fleeces and a gilet here. Temperature in this room is about 19º. I am probably a wuss.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #286 on: 30 September, 2021, 05:39:36 pm »
Three fleeces here, 18C.

« Reply #287 on: 30 September, 2021, 05:44:18 pm »
Wearing a beanie hat* to help keep body-heat in. :thumbsup:

*and other bodily clothes.

« Reply #288 on: 30 September, 2021, 05:52:44 pm »
I did shorts right up until Xmas eve last year.
Going to go for the same if poss.

« Reply #289 on: 30 September, 2021, 06:35:44 pm »
Is it just me or is everyone here just living in poorly insulated buildings? Today and yesterday the outside temperature was 12/13 degrees at most and my living room is still at a comfortable 20 degrees. My house usually retains the summer warmth well into October, early November the heating is triggered. (It does help that 17 degrees is room temperature for me.)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #290 on: 30 September, 2021, 06:51:06 pm »
16°C outside, 18°C inside at the moment. I haven't contemplated putting the heating on yet, and tomorrow we are off to Crowborough for 3 nights' camping.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #291 on: 30 September, 2021, 06:54:39 pm »
...and I've just turned the heating on.

@slugbait Our house is probably not that well insulated. We do have fairly new double glazing, but the loft was sort-of converted to an extra room so there's not much insulation up there. I don't think we have cavity wall insulation.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #292 on: 30 September, 2021, 06:55:51 pm »
No insulation please, we're BRITISH.

The 1841 house part retains warmth fairly well due to the thick walls, despite the rattly sash windows, but the 1970s flat-roofed "granny annexe" is a thermal sieve.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #293 on: 30 September, 2021, 07:24:53 pm »
Is it just me or is everyone here just living in poorly insulated buildings? Today and yesterday the outside temperature was 12/13 degrees at most and my living room is still at a comfortable 20 degrees. My house usually retains the summer warmth well into October, early November the heating is triggered. (It does help that 17 degrees is room temperature for me.)

Yes. I find homes in .NL to be warmer than those in the UK. Most Dutch homes I visit are much more modern, which helps.

I got home from work to find the radiators have started working and are pumping out heat.

So it's now 21.8°C at schoulder height (seated), by my desk, and 20.4°C at ankle height...

Think I need to kick them up a bit further.

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #294 on: 30 September, 2021, 07:36:39 pm »

What is this "summer warmth"? ???

My flat is fairly cool all year round, but is definitely lacking in insulation (and also has old sash windows, which probably don't help).

« Reply #295 on: 30 September, 2021, 07:41:28 pm »
No insulation please, we're BRITISH

My previous apartment (in a typical 1930s Dutch building) was also horrible. The wind blew straight through it. The current house (built in 2008) is a massive improvement. I didn't realize that I would appreciate insulation this much.

« Reply #296 on: 30 September, 2021, 07:43:44 pm »

My flat is fairly cool all year round, but is definitely lacking in insulation (and also has old sash windows, which probably don't help).

Are you living on the Shetlands? I'm talking about those days in July and August when the thermometer occasionally hits 25 degrees.

« Reply #297 on: 30 September, 2021, 07:44:19 pm »

On the contrary.
Your draughty sash windows, likely as not, will reduce the likelihood of condensation forming.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #298 on: 30 September, 2021, 07:51:17 pm »
Yes, but as I'm still in shorts and T-Shirt, I'm in the sitting room with windows open and radiator off
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #299 on: 30 September, 2021, 07:54:05 pm »

On the contrary.
Your draughty sash windows, likely as not, will reduce the likelihood of condensation forming.

I get plenty of condensation, too - have noticed it the past few days (yay for my new toy, the Karcher window vac!).