Author Topic: BHF Cam to Coast, 24/3/12  (Read 3280 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
BHF Cam to Coast, 24/3/12
« on: 14 March, 2012, 02:05:35 pm »
I'm quite tempted by the Cambridge to Southend ride, but I'm baulking at the official £25 price tag.

Does anyone know how much of that money actually goes to the BHF?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Re: BHF Cam to Coast, 24/3/12
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2012, 02:26:30 pm »
From the website:

Your entry fee covers the cost of running the event; it’s your sponsorship money that will help save lives.

What on earth are the overheads for a ride that starts in a public park, takes place on public roads, and finishes in a public park?

« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2012, 02:33:12 pm »
What on earth are the overheads for a ride that starts in a public park, takes place on public roads, and finishes in a public park?
Tents/marquees and extra litter pickers spring to mind after seeing the London to Southend finishing area. Probably marshals to direct the riders at junctions and maybe even outriders.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2012, 02:47:42 pm »
I'm trying to find out how many people they get on each ride. The London - Brighton one involved tens of thousands and the London - Southend one is pretty big as well. If they have 1000 entrants, that gives them £25000. That's an awful lot of marquees - which only need to be in place for a few hours.

I would have thought that the marshalls would be volunteers on expenses.

« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2012, 02:51:28 pm »
25 quid is cheap for a sportive..  (not that I've done many, just saying) and they have similar amounts of support. 

I cant imagine what insurance costs are for something like that, or police / ambulance cover.  And we struggle to get one volunteer for a club time trial, so no chance of getting 100+ (500?) for somthing like this.

should be a nice ride though, I'm tempted too.

« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2012, 11:25:02 pm »
£25 sounds pretty reasonable to me for that sort of event.
I paid about £20 to do a half marathon run the other week. You didn't get many material goods for your money. A few small bottes of water handed out, a few portaloo toilets, a medal, your number and the use of a timing chip. There was a rolling road block at the start as the first few miles were on roads. Then it was on Redways and other roads. the timing chips cost about £10, so if you are given one of those, that will be a pretty big chunk of the money. Then there's the admin and setting up of a website. The admin for 1000 entries would be pretty considerable, I'd have thought.
I expect there is a bit of money being made by the organisers too, which I wouldn't begrudge them.
The marathon I entered cost me about £40.
My cycling clubs runs a sportive event and charges about £12 for the entry and that is run by volunteers. Some club commitee members did ask if £12 was too much and I told them how much some other sportive events cost to enter and that £12 is very cheap, especially as we also use timing chips.
It depends on what you want out of your ride. I have ran further than a half marathon for nothing, but I did enjoy running in an event. It's a lot of money if you don't have much money, or won't enjoy the event. But if you have the money and will enjoy it, then it's only money.

I don't think I would though. Personally, I think I'd put the cash in my pocket, pop over to the Cotswolds and spend it on a slap up meal :)

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2012, 07:09:28 am »
I did the first Cam to coast last year, and thought it was a good ride (except for the weather which was cold and overcast but that's not there fault!)
There arn't the thousands of cyclists like the other popular BHF rides  :thumbsup: But the £25 entry fee plus the train to Cambridge, plus the train back from Southend to Home  makes it an expensive 75 miles, So this year I am hoping to do the 'Witham 200k DIY' with good company and zero travel costs for a 120 mile ride  :smug:

(click to show/hide)
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

Andyf

« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2012, 07:21:25 am »
Forgot, you can clock yourself a North Hill ascent point as it goes half way up (top half) It's funny to see the the shock on the faces of the cyclists who didn't expect it, as they cough there lungs up by the pink house  :o
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #8 on: 16 March, 2012, 07:47:52 am »
I did the first Cam to coast last year, and thought it was a good ride (except for the weather which was cold and overcast but that's not there fault!)
There arn't the thousands of cyclists like the other popular BHF rides  :thumbsup: But the £25 entry fee plus the train to Cambridge, plus the train back from Southend to Home  makes it an expensive 75 miles, So this year I am hoping to do the 'Witham 200k DIY' with good company and zero travel costs for a 120 mile ride  :smug:

(click to show/hide)

I did it last year as well.  I had two spokes go on the rear wheel just as I entered the outskirts of Southend and I had to do the last 6 miles with a buckled rear wheel.

I wouldn't do the BHF Cam to Coast again.  I found it poorly organised - particularly at the end, when there was no support for riders, no warm drinks, etc and the staff seemed more interested in getting home than checking whether all the riders had got there and were OK.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Andyf

« Reply #9 on: 16 March, 2012, 08:02:26 am »

(click to show/hide)

I did it last year as well.  I had two spokes go on the rear wheel just as I entered the outskirts of Southend and I had to do the last 6 miles with a buckled rear wheel.

I wouldn't do the BHF Cam to Coast again.  I found it poorly organised - particularly at the end, when there was no support for riders, no warm drinks, etc and the staff seemed more interested in getting home than checking whether all the riders had got there and were OK.

I agree about Hot drinks and the final 200 metre turn was not sign posted very well so many of us got lost.......you got your nice shiny medal didn't you ?  :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 18 March, 2012, 01:09:36 pm »

They also probably have to pay the local councils for the privalage of using the public parks for an organised event.

I had been looking at this for a first event on the recumbent. I have done thes type of event in the past, but stopped due to a combination of overcrowding and muppetry. But might still do it, but will decide on wednesday, when the headwind report is more accurate

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11 on: 18 March, 2012, 01:35:24 pm »
I'm still considering this. I ran the idea past Dez, to see if he fancied getting up at 5.30 a.m. to give me a lift to Cambridge, but for some reason he wasn't keen...

I could get on a train the previous day and stay with my sister in St. Ives.

« Reply #12 on: 20 March, 2012, 07:57:55 pm »
I have been requested for house moving duties, so I am out.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #13 on: 20 March, 2012, 11:17:53 pm »
I entered today. I'm catching a train from Prittlewell at 5.32. Change at Lpoo St. (28 mins between trains) and arrive in Cambridge at 8.08. Enough time to get to the start and then straight off to Sarfend.

I've also got the Mercian out of the garage and ordered a new set of pedals for it. I will consider doing the ride on that.

« Reply #14 on: 22 March, 2012, 05:01:59 pm »

depressingly reality has had a say, I won't be able to make this :'(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #15 on: 23 March, 2012, 10:49:53 pm »
OK, the Mercian it is. I've fitted the pedals and a Brooks Professional saddle that has never been run in. This could be an ordeal!

Alarm to be set for 4.45.  :-\

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Cam to Coast
« Reply #16 on: 24 March, 2012, 05:46:06 am »
I decided at the last minute (almost) to put some lights on the bike. I shouldn't need them but you never know. Now the train is passing through some really dense fog, down to 30 metres visibility in places. I hope this clears by the time we get to Cambridge eise I will need the lights.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #17 on: 26 March, 2012, 09:28:06 am »
How did it go then?  I spotted some of the riders when I was out.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper