Author Topic: Magnetic window cleaners  (Read 2172 times)

ian

Re: Magnetic window cleaners
« Reply #25 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:59:37 pm »
Yebbut window cleaners are shite these days. They wiggle a brush with a hose at the windows, no soap, no squeegee and they always come the day before a pigeon flies into the window.

I don't know how you folks who live with unclean windows for years do it, it drives me mental.

Ours is fine, does a good job of removing the crud every two months from our big picture windows and numerous patio doors. It's a lot of glass. I don't want to know what he charges.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 18 November, 2021, 10:04:43 pm »
Our windows, being sensibly European, open inwards so we don't need window-cleaners, ladders or poles.  Why on earth UK ones don't is beyond me.  Jesus wept, in old UK houses with shutters the things are on the inside.  Where's the sense in that?
I used to live in a late Georgian or Regency house that had shutters on the inside of the sash windows. I'm not sure if they were original but they were certainly old. I found them quite useful in that you could shut them and have absolute darkness, if that was what you wanted. They also shut out quite a lot of street noise. And you could do this without opening the clattery draughty old windows.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #27 on: 19 November, 2021, 01:50:13 pm »
I don't think that my window cleaner is magnetic.  He's notoriously unreliable too.  😉

« Reply #28 on: 19 November, 2021, 02:03:30 pm »
Gosh, you lot are so uncultured.

You need a giraffe and a pelican.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 19 November, 2021, 05:53:55 pm »
Our windows, being sensibly European, open inwards so we don't need window-cleaners, ladders or poles.  Why on earth UK ones don't is beyond me.  Jesus wept, in old UK houses with shutters the things are on the inside.  Where's the sense in that?

I expect that in the increasingly unlikely event of ever  a) owning a house  and  b) being able to afford replacement windows for it,  I will have frustrating dialogue with a several of window suppliers, to the effect that nobody makes sensible European ones with external shutters, and even if they did, fitting them would require special planning permission and/or immediately make the house uninsurable because of some spurious not-invented-here safety issue.  Bonus points if investigations into the practicality of importing such things from ABROAD, where the sensible FOREIGNS come from, conclude that it would be cheaper and easier to install and run air conditioning.

The problem with One of the many problems with BRITONS is that for the 50 weeks a year that they aren't going round saying "it's not the heat, it's the humidity", they completely forget that Summer is a thing.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #30 on: 19 November, 2021, 06:27:05 pm »
Gosh, you lot are so uncultured.

You need a giraffe and a pelican.

The pelicans are too busy trying to swallow the capybaras.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.