Author Topic: BONG ..And Here is the Not News..BONG  (Read 163908 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: BONG ..And Here is the Not News..BONG
« Reply #925 on: 29 June, 2021, 11:08:39 pm »
I think you mean men fall over bicyclettes on a French Rode.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #926 on: 29 June, 2021, 11:11:16 pm »
Did tumbling bicyclists make it as lead item on the BBC National & Londonton Newses  :P
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #927 on: 29 June, 2021, 11:12:18 pm »
BONG! Sportsball happens BONG!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #928 on: 29 June, 2021, 11:29:55 pm »
Did tumbling bicyclists make it as lead item on the BBC National & Londonton Newses  :P

Well, kno, becos only wierdos watches sexxy men buttocks on ‘spensive bicyclettetes.
It is simpler than it looks.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #929 on: 08 July, 2021, 10:42:28 pm »
Sportsball - I expected better of you C4 News  :demon:

ian

« Reply #930 on: 12 July, 2021, 08:01:09 pm »
BONG ...football fans turn out to be racists... BONG

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #931 on: 29 July, 2021, 08:40:51 am »
BONG! Entitled pricks display entitlement behaviour. BONG!

Parents of pupils in private schools or living in affluent areas of England were the most likely to put pressure on teachers over exam grades, suggests research from the Sutton Trust.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-57999790
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #932 on: 29 July, 2021, 11:10:26 am »
BONG! Entitled pricks display entitlement behaviour. BONG!

Parents of pupils in private schools or living in affluent areas of England were the most likely to put pressure on teachers over exam grades, suggests research from the Sutton Trust.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-57999790
As if the school system wasn't already massively biased towards people with more cash.
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #933 on: 29 July, 2021, 03:47:18 pm »
That's always been the case, so I'm not sure it's a shock, general involvement of parents in their child's school life is correlated with affluence and social class, in part because they have the resources and in part because they have the confidence to challenge school decisions.

A teacher friend of ours can recount the time a mother explained that her child deserved a better grade because they had 'spent a lot of money on a local house so their child could attend that school.'

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #934 on: 29 July, 2021, 06:36:35 pm »
I nailed my colours to the mast during the first parents night for our eldest. Her English teacher was very negative about her very poor spelling to an almost aggressive level. I agreed with him that she indeed couldn’t spell for toffee, which rather floored him as I believe  he was about to produce evidence to support of his claim. My next statement completely derailed him though. I asked him what strategies he would be implementing to address this failing. It’s probably worth pointing out that Alice had achieved an 8 in her year six SATs and all here other teachers had been very complementary about here work ethic and capability. I also went straight to the Head teacher to express my concerns that this teacher was fixated on a single aspect of Ali’s English. Ali remained a favourite of the Head’s right up until she turned her back on Oxbridge in favour of following Art and Drama.

We also had a policy of letting the (high) school know when the boy was brewing to something. He has a very strong sense of justice and had a history of defending this very strongly. He was often in trouble, but it was usually for defending someone else. But sometimes we’d get the vibe that something was brewing and on such occasions we would warn then school of this.

Conversely the girls were paragons of virtue. At least, while they were at school. We were never, however, of the opinion that they could do no wrong.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #937 on: 11 August, 2021, 09:44:21 pm »
I'm surprised nobody has commented on yesterday's headlines across multiple media channels.

"A-Level results: Grades hit record high after exams cancelled for second year in a row"

#random-link     https://www.itv.com/news/2021-08-09/students-receive-a-level-results-after-exams-cancelled-for-second-year-in-row

« Reply #938 on: 12 August, 2021, 07:48:43 am »
Surely the outcome of this for the Tories is that oiks do not need schools and exams.  Just put all teaching online, cancel exams and everybody can get an A

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #939 on: 12 August, 2021, 10:07:43 am »
I'm surprised nobody has commented on yesterday's headlines across multiple media channels.

"A-Level results: Grades hit record high after exams cancelled for second year in a row"

#random-link     https://www.itv.com/news/2021-08-09/students-receive-a-level-results-after-exams-cancelled-for-second-year-in-row
It has a thread all of its own in POBI and is still rather active  :-\
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #940 on: 12 August, 2021, 11:01:16 am »

It has a thread all of its own in POBI and is still rather active  :-\

I have oft heard reference to POBI.  I am not sure what it is, other than a place where people are vocal and due to some words shared it has caused some valuable members here to leave the building.

I have gone into my profile to see if I have set it to an ignored board in the past and forgotten.  I have no ignored boards, nor can I see POBI on there to ignore it which I haven't.

I don't brwose this website by board, I simply use https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=unread which should show everything posted anywhere since I last logged in.  I hadn't noticed anything re my not news, hence my posting with surprise.

Can anybody enlighten me as to what POBI is please?  Or is it a members only club to which I am not invited.

« Reply #941 on: 12 August, 2021, 11:34:15 am »
Go to Profile, Modify Profile, Group Membership.

POBI is probably a good example of "I don't want to be a member of a group that would have me as a member"  :)

« Reply #942 on: 12 August, 2021, 12:03:05 pm »
Thank you.  I have learned something today.

I have also decided, for the time being, not to join.  I'd love to if things are being discussed there, but.

« Reply #943 on: 12 August, 2021, 12:48:03 pm »
I think there's a minimum-posts number you need to qualify for POBI access. Nothing for you to worry about Nutty, should you change your mind.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #944 on: 12 August, 2021, 03:15:58 pm »
BONG! People complain about terrible TV programme.  Unclear from report as to why.  BONG!

Telling line:
"After the clip [of her partner being unfaithful] was played to the islanders, Faye, who has admitted to trust issues, launched into an outburst.'

Neatly sums up why these shows are so appalling and should be banned - it's wilful exploitation of people's mental health for the sake of entertainment.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #945 on: 12 August, 2021, 04:46:08 pm »
I thought they had banned them after one or more contestants killed themselves some years back. After a google, it seems they looked contrite for a few milliseconds while they checked the number of viewers and advertising revenue and then promptly carried on as before.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #946 on: 12 August, 2021, 05:24:43 pm »
I've never watched it, tbh. But I've just been reading about it on wikipedia.

It seems the basic premise is that the contestants have to couple up or be eliminated. And they are set various challenges to test the strength of their relationships.

Yeah, that's really healthy.

But hey, just look at those viewing figures!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #947 on: 12 August, 2021, 05:31:59 pm »
It's one of those things that I think shouldn't happen and I was vaguely sure had stopped happening, but is still a thing. See also gambling adverts, the 'sport' of boxing etc.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #948 on: 12 August, 2021, 05:38:56 pm »
Gambling is the current tobacco, the dirty money which we just couldn't give up cos all sport would somehow go bankrupt without it. Supposedly. But it's all regulated and perfectly safe. See these health warnings! "When the fun stops, stop." So hard hitting!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #949 on: 12 August, 2021, 05:39:36 pm »
I've never watched it, tbh. But I've just been reading about it on wikipedia.

It seems the basic premise is that the contestants have to couple up or be eliminated. And they are set various challenges to test the strength of their relationships.

Yeah, that's really healthy.

But hey, just look at those viewing figures!
Perhaps an entry for what have you learned today thread, but I’ve just learned that there is actually a ‘plot’ to love island. My only awareness of the show is from here, the front pages of the tabloids when perusing the same on the news stand and a comment from a former colleague and Facebook friend who once mentioned that his daughter turned down an offer to appear on the show.