Author Topic: I hadn't realised that Brum New Street was being refurbed  (Read 21791 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: I hadn't realised that Brum New Street was being refurbed
« Reply #50 on: 31 March, 2014, 11:34:04 pm »
Less generic announcemens filling the space between genuine information.  (The constant barrage of noise causes me to zone out and miss real useful info.

"This is a special announcement.  Don't leave your stuff lying around, it may vanish."  "Ladies and gentlemen, the buffet car is still open, and still serving the usual assortment of overpriced cardboard in a range of fucking flavours, and a substance almost but not quite entirely unlike tea."  "Your attention please.  The pope is still catholic."  "Customers are reminded that smoking is not permitted anywhere on this station.  Stabbing isn't permitted either.  Acts of terrorism will make us very cross.  Stealing unattended items is however encouraged, as it saves work for the security services."  "The train now arriving on platform 7 isn't.  It's on platform *mumble* you fuckers."  "Please take care when boarding the train."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #51 on: 01 April, 2014, 12:02:29 am »
"And you know that stuff that's yours?  Well it's still yours, so you can take it with you when you get off."
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #52 on: 01 April, 2014, 11:41:19 am »
Less generic announcemens filling the space between genuine information.  (The constant barrage of noise causes me to zone out and miss real useful info.

"This is a special announcement.  Don't leave your stuff lying around, it may vanish."  "Ladies and gentlemen, the buffet car is still open, and still serving the usual assortment of overpriced cardboard in a range of fucking flavours, and a substance almost but not quite entirely unlike tea."  "Your attention please.  The pope is still catholic."  "Customers are reminded that smoking is not permitted anywhere on this station.  Stabbing isn't permitted either.  Acts of terrorism will make us very cross.  Stealing unattended items is however encouraged, as it saves work for the security services."  "The train now arriving on platform 7 isn't.  It's on platform *mumble* you fuckers."  "Please take care when boarding the train."
Bisexual cardboard!? :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #54 on: 01 April, 2014, 02:23:23 pm »
Index?!!! A bit Big Brother... But anyways, it was "a range of fucking flavours", so clearly should be polysexual not just bi. Is there an index for that too?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #55 on: 01 April, 2014, 06:09:57 pm »
It was a misquote of Trainspotting, anyway.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #56 on: 01 April, 2014, 06:32:34 pm »
Didn't recognise it. Even though it's a film that overall sticks in the memory.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #57 on: 19 July, 2014, 04:47:43 pm »
The molishers have been molishing...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CTyz6uX4Y1w&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CTyz6uX4Y1w&rel=1</a>

http://youtu.be/CTyz6uX4Y1w

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #58 on: 20 November, 2014, 04:54:59 pm »
Looks like another Christmas of special crowd-control measures at Mordor Central:

http://birminghamupdates.com/post/103127886663/network-rail-is-urging-passengers-to-leave-more

Combined with the engineering work at Watford Junction, it's probably best to give the WCML a miss entirely...

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/71618.aspx

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #59 on: 20 November, 2014, 05:41:16 pm »
Hmm, I do need to pop into town on Saturday.  Perhaps I'd better consider using some other form of transport.
Let me think..........

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #60 on: 20 November, 2014, 07:11:23 pm »
Virgin Trains have just given barakta a really useless reply to a query she Tweeted.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #61 on: 20 November, 2014, 08:17:25 pm »
Hmm, I do need to pop into town on Saturday.  Perhaps I'd better consider using some other form of transport.
Let me think..........

One doesn't simply walk in there.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #62 on: 27 February, 2015, 02:15:52 pm »
The awesome Mordor Central bike parking facility has been on the news:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1VCHFXj7GII&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/1VCHFXj7GII&rel=1</a>
http://youtu.be/1VCHFXj7GII

The plastic policeman visible at 0:50 has had the top of his head peeled off.

Note for Londoners, Yorkists and other bemused forriners: Yes, that's all of it.  28 23 Sheffield stands.  Seriously.

Note for Brummies: Stop using Poundshop cable locks round the toptube to secure your bike.  Seriously.

Note for those thinking of leaving a bike at New Street station:  On Your Bike are just down the road and sell Bromptons.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #63 on: 27 February, 2015, 03:41:28 pm »
They've got CCTV so they can say, "Ooh, look. Someone's stealing a bike. That's interesting".
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 16 April, 2015, 04:31:20 pm »
If something's worth doing, it's even better with screens on... http://birminghamupdates.com/post/116475928813/new-street-station-set-to-get-media-eyes   ::-)

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #65 on: 16 April, 2015, 09:46:34 pm »
 :facepalm:
The eye of Sauron.

« Reply #66 on: 17 April, 2015, 11:01:54 am »
I happened to be in Birmingham last week, in the area close by Mordor Central. Good God is there any part of the centre that isn't being dug up!  In addition to the general chaos around New Street (nice and shiny isn't it?) I understand the tram system is being extended (who knew there was a tram system), and sundry underground pipes are being replaced  ::-).  At least I only have to get to/from Moor Street (now there's a curiosity) for my appointments.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #67 on: 17 April, 2015, 12:10:59 pm »
It's worse than that, they're digging up Paradise Circus (the clue's only partially in the name), too.

The tram system isn't that bad, but it goes to Wolverhampton via West Bromwich.  Or, to put it another way, it goes to Birmingham via West Bromwich.  It's currently being extended from Snow Hill (the station nobody can find) to Mordor Central, with hilarious consequences.  Plans are to continue the line out to through Digbeth (useful for the bus station) to Curzon Street for HS2.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #68 on: 17 April, 2015, 01:09:08 pm »
I've found Snow Hill! Rather a nice station, IIRC. Can't remember where I was going from there though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #69 on: 17 April, 2015, 01:22:23 pm »
I think I've used Snow Hill exactly once.  Most of the useful trains that go from there also go through Moor Street.

IIRC they've done a half decent job of cycle parking there.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #70 on: 17 April, 2015, 05:51:35 pm »
I used to commute into/out of Snow Hill, and always found it infinitely preferable to Mordor Central. Haven't been there for years, mind.

Don't think I've ever got the tram, though. I try to avoid Wolverhampton whenever possible.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #71 on: 17 April, 2015, 06:37:34 pm »
There are an abundance of perfectly good trains to Wolverhampton from Mordor Central.  So the tram's mostly about West Bromwich.  There is a pretty decent shared-use path for some of its length, but not the useful end.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #72 on: 18 April, 2015, 03:29:17 pm »
The only station I've ever experienced that comes close to New Street in horridness is Warsaw Central. Both are subterranean, but Warsaw's navigation is easier.

« Reply #73 on: 18 April, 2015, 03:59:21 pm »
Would have been far better if they had opened the thing right up and put a glass dome over it.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #74 on: 18 April, 2015, 04:28:01 pm »
Would have been far better if they had opened the thing right up and put a glass dome over it.

That's sort of the plan, but only for the retail opportunity level.  The actual trainy bits remain as subterranean as ever (if marginally better lit).