Author Topic: Things to do in/near Lyme Regis?  (Read 4078 times)

Things to do in/near Lyme Regis?
« on: 05 April, 2008, 09:55:19 pm »
The Macfamily are going for a long weekend to Lyme, hurrah! Other than walking some of the coast path (and undercliff), and pottering around the town, is there anything you'd recommend as a must-do? Things to visit, places to walk, eat and drink etc.

We won't have bikes and Minimac is still mini, so nothing too demanding... (Frenchie - we have a rucksack carrier for him! Will post pics so Gabrielle can compare notes  :))

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
Re: Things to do in/near Lyme Regis?
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2008, 10:04:23 pm »
They do a nice fossil hunting session nearby - can't find a link to it, but tourist info will know.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2008, 10:15:39 pm »
I'm not sure I'd want to be looking for fossils if I had a baby in my back-pack, personally.

« Reply #3 on: 05 April, 2008, 10:53:33 pm »
I'm not sure I'd want to be looking for fossils if I had a baby in my back-pack, personally.
My dad used to carry baby Peli on his back while orchid-hunting in the Pyrenees. Baby Peli met the orchids face-to-face, shall we say, on a number of occasions...  ::-)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2008, 02:23:32 am »

Hmm - didn't note the age of minimac.

Was thinking of somthing kids would enjoy - perhaps in  a year or two.

« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2008, 05:22:14 pm »
Be a romantic......

"The Cobb" is (I believe) the oldest breakwater in the UK!

It is also where the scene of the French Lieutenant's woman was filmed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92O0dA2F7V8

BUT..... do be careful if the weather is bad!

« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2008, 07:36:07 pm »
T
Be a romantic......

"The Cobb" is (I believe) the oldest breakwater in the UK!

It is also where the scene of the French Lieutenant's woman was filmed

Albeit rebuilt around 1740. The actual end-of-Cobb shot was done in a studio in the States, though Lyme was transformed for the film and some of the shops retain their scene-painters' make-over.

Monmouth Beach, to the west, has a wonderful pavement of rock with large ammonites. The museum used to be curated by John Fowles. Loadsa fossil shops and other tacky stuff. The Rock Point does a reasonable fish and chips overlooking the sea. There is a cinema (just).

Nearby in Axminster is the new River Cottage "canteen and shop".

At Seaton you can ride the tram to Colyton and back.

At Beer there is Pecorama (factory and display of model trains), the 'Caves', where stone was quarried for Exeter Cathedral.

But mostly just walking. It's rural down here.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #7 on: 06 April, 2008, 09:29:16 pm »
There's a great hat shop in Bridport (Snooks).

No, I mean it.

Honest.

I like hats.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #8 on: 06 April, 2008, 09:49:06 pm »
Thinking of minimac, take the road westwards towards Exeter and you'll find the Donkey Sanctuary near Branscombe. Not a bad way to spend a few hours and all for free  :thumbsup:

From there head further west and head for the King Arms in Otterton for their excellent carvery at lunchtime.

Leave the car parked in Otterton, then have a stroll down the estuary to Budleigh Salterton.

Should be a nice day out.

« Reply #9 on: 06 April, 2008, 10:44:15 pm »
Lots of nice beaches/coves and bays, best not having a bike, from Lyme, the only way is UP, then down, then UP some more then....

Charmouth beach is just around the corner, scrabble around in the Blue Lius Clay and Bellonites and Ammonites are rfeadily found, particularly near a fresh rock-fall.  careful not to get stuck in the clay.
As stated, it's pretty rural My family hail from Axminster, my Dad went to Lyme school (well, when he wasn't bunking-off sailing).  Nothing much to do apart from watery things and exploring the fairly unique grandness of the rolling hills of East Devon.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2008, 06:59:07 pm »
If you like Inspector Morse, the Bay Hotel is exactly as featured in the novel (with the exception of the lovely Claire Osbourne  :(  )On a more basic level, the chip shop opposite the Cobb is good and the Cobb Inn serves some good ales.  On the downside, though, it's a youngster's pub and can be noisy.  Food's ok.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra