Author Topic: Backpacking - With A Baby!  (Read 1774 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Backpacking - With A Baby!
« on: 20 September, 2013, 11:15:46 am »
 :o :o :o

Are we insane?

Please don't answer that.

We're off camping this weekend near Lewes with our local DA (ish) of the C&CC.  TGL needs to fit in some training for a Youth Test before his next birthday in March, so we've got a couple of weekends planned.  But I'm still not on the bike, and The Little Duck would have to be in a trailer, causing all sorts of conniptions to train operators.  The solution we have is backpacking (the campsite isn't far from the station, and we've been offered lifts to help.

We have a pram with us, but the Duck will be in a sling.  The pram's got a large roll top bag containing mats, pillows & sleeping bags, and our tent.  Butterfly's got a backpack containing her clothes, the Duck's, and some other vital stuff, including food.  I'm carrying my clothes and the cooking stuff, and TGL is required to be self-contained.

Thinking back, the last time I went backpacking was....................never, really.  I've bivvied a couple of times in the Peaks & Dales, but almost all my camping has been by car or bike.  I'm using my yellow Blacks rucksack, which is surprisingly comfortable.  I bought it, even though I hate yellow as a colour, in a sale at the Sheffield Moor branch in about 1985, I'm astonished to realise.

It'll be interesting to find how we get on.  I'm hoping for dry weather, and a fun saunter into Lewes tomorrow, while TGL does his training.

On the subject of TGL's training, last night, as a dress rehearsal, he cooked pasta bolognese under Butterfly's supervision.  It was very good.  It'll be a bit more tricky in a field over a stove, but he should do OK.
Getting there...

Re: Backpacking - With A Baby!
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2013, 12:07:54 pm »
Your collarbone ok with carrying a rucksack?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2013, 12:28:07 pm »
I shan't be carrying it far.
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2013, 12:28:58 pm »
Best of luck.  We've avoided it because we thought it would be difficult to carry the tiddlers and all the stuff needed at the same time over interesting paths.  If you know your route will be pram-friendly then hopefully that should be solved. :thumbsup:  Enjoy.

« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2013, 01:49:07 pm »
My experience, as a former backpacker turned cyclist (20-odd years ago), is that cycling doesn't toughen up the feet like hiking does, and I'm prone to blisters after fairly trivial distances (8 miles or so)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2013, 01:54:57 pm »
Sounds like an adventure. Take a goodly number of photographs, not to look at now but to astound the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Cool epic stuff people did back in the 21st Century!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2013, 04:12:58 am »
Loo o'clock.  We all got here ok last night, but I'm uncharacteristically cold and shivery.  And I'm in pain
  The normal shuffling around the tent got very complicated.  But I'm back in bed now, so we'll see how it goes.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2013, 03:41:16 pm »
We walked into Lewes with the little Duck, while TGL was doing his training.

We've had a nice wander, including cream tea at a cafe (with a florists - yet another one!).  Will saunter back presently.

This seems like fun.
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 21 September, 2013, 04:05:12 pm »
Badly timed! I was in Lewes the other day! Could have said hello & shared a brew :-)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #9 on: 21 September, 2013, 05:19:12 pm »
We've been backpacking with the dog more times than I can remember. It requires more planning than cycling because obviously it's slower and you can't go as far, but generally it's been fine.