Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 337037 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2650 on: 11 September, 2021, 10:40:28 am »
Yes. Several clothes pegs, but lots of smaller made for the job things.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2651 on: 11 September, 2021, 11:13:10 am »
Re resealing afterwards: hands up if your kitchen cupboards bristle with clothes-pegs.
<raises mitts>
Oh yes. I know some disapprove, but to them I say fiddlesticks.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2652 on: 11 September, 2021, 05:41:08 pm »
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2654 on: 11 September, 2021, 09:36:30 pm »
We have an assortment of middle-class clothespegs of indeterminate (but probably the likes of Canadian Tire Wilkos or Home Bargains, definitely not Ikea) origin.  Barakta can work the clips on about half of them; such things requiring a relatively forceful pincer-grip, especially if there's something substantial being clamped.

We did have some actual clothespegs, which she preferred on account of their mechanical advantage.  They've all suffered brittle plastic death.  Wood would appear to be the superior material here.

I note that the middle-class ones do a better job of both staying put and crumb containment when you have half a packet of biscuits or whatever rattling around in a bag, which makes them a useful cycle tourist accessory.

ian

« Reply #2655 on: 11 September, 2021, 09:38:13 pm »
I use magnets. I don't trust magnetism, but I figure that if I eat magnetic pasta, it's practically a superpower.

« Reply #2656 on: 12 September, 2021, 12:49:57 am »
Half a packet of biscuits, sorry does not compute.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2657 on: 12 September, 2021, 12:51:48 am »
Indeed.

Much like Eric the half a Bee.
It is simpler than it looks.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2658 on: 12 September, 2021, 07:04:07 am »
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2659 on: 12 September, 2021, 11:53:28 am »
Klippits,  the middle-class clothespeg.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/2894/48-Klippits-Food-Storage-and-Sealing-Bag-Clips---Mixed-Sizes

HOW MUCH????

Ikea

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/bevara-sealing-clip-set-of-30-mixed-colours-mixed-sizes-10339171/

ps have to say I'm still using some 25+ year old Klippits
Well, they are middle-class clothespegs from the middle-class coach parties' kitchen shop.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #2660 on: 12 September, 2021, 12:22:39 pm »

Well, they are middle-class clothespegs from the middle-class coach parties' kitchen shop.

;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2661 on: 12 September, 2021, 12:30:21 pm »
We did have some actual clothespegs, which she preferred on account of their mechanical advantage.  They've all suffered brittle plastic death.  Wood would appear to be the superior material here.
How much wood would a clothes peg peg if a.... No, not that. In their clothes pegging use, the plastic ones seem far more liable to pinging into fuckits than the wooden ones.

« Reply #2662 on: 12 September, 2021, 02:02:37 pm »
I just want to know what makes a clothes peg "middle-class"! ???

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2663 on: 12 September, 2021, 04:09:52 pm »
Re resealing afterwards: hands up if your kitchen cupboards bristle with clothes-pegs.
<raises mitts>

+1

Leatherman Micra has sharp scissors and is my trusty companion almost everywhere.

D sometimes tries pulling packages open.

I do not.

« Reply #2664 on: 15 September, 2021, 09:15:19 am »

I bought a few of these last summer is an attempt to find something that wouldn't get eaten by the dog...

I feel that I may have hit peak middle-class...  :facepalm:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2665 on: 15 September, 2021, 09:43:39 am »

Polished mahogany with ebony inlay.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #2666 on: 15 September, 2021, 09:52:18 am »
I have no clothes pegs and I swear I'm middle class. I sneer at chavs and the only reason I go to Lidl is for cheap gin, so I must be.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2667 on: 15 September, 2021, 09:55:33 am »
Proprietary data stacks.

Why won’t my whittings bathroom scales easily share MY data with the apps of MY choice. In the 21st century I should not need to be manually entering my weight into the diet app and the fitness monitoring app I have chosen to use just because some marketeer wanker thinks by making me do so will force me to by one of their watches a d use their fitness app so they can collect more data about my habits.

</rant>
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2668 on: 15 September, 2021, 09:57:08 am »
"Made of single-origin 304 grade stainless steel, each peg is artisan forged at our workshop to produce a durable, reliable, high quality, aesthetically pleasing peg. Packed in Kraft paper for durability and minimal environmental impact, you can find a photo and bio of our artisan team on the back of each packet. This is your guarantee of the quality that can only come from an individually made peg. Our pegs were designed to give you a traditional pegging experience just like your grandmother enjoyed!
USA design in Wisconsin.
Made in China."

« Reply #2669 on: 15 September, 2021, 09:57:58 am »

Where you buy them from probably.

« Reply #2670 on: 15 September, 2021, 10:47:23 am »
Proprietary data stacks.

Why won’t my whittings bathroom scales easily share MY data with the apps of MY choice. In the 21st century I should not need to be manually entering my weight into the diet app and the fitness monitoring app I have chosen to use just because some marketeer wanker thinks by making me do so will force me to by one of their watches a d use their fitness app so they can collect more data about my habits.

</rant>

In some instances you can use IFTTT to copy data between services. Although last time I tried this it couldn’t cope with the data being stored in stones and pounds, because they hate our beautiful country.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2671 on: 15 September, 2021, 11:44:58 am »
Proprietary data stacks.

</rant>

In some instances you can use IFTTT to copy data between services. Although last time I tried this it couldn’t cope with the data being stored in stones and pounds, because they hate our beautiful country.
There are two ot three suggested solutions out there, using intermediary database and the like, but none of them are straightforward and most use Someone Else’s Computer ™ to store the data. I’ve not looked too deeply into it, so I don’t know if it’s a lake of an API to expose the data to third parties or a lack of the second vendor being willing to develop an interface to suck third party data in. I suspect it’s a bit of both.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2672 on: 15 September, 2021, 11:48:44 am »
Isn't your weight private data, so not good to have it easily shared across apps?
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2673 on: 15 September, 2021, 12:17:24 pm »
Proprietary data stacks.

</rant>

MOAR bulyin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, by teh EU burocrats!!!!!2!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2674 on: 15 September, 2021, 12:24:10 pm »
Isn't your weight private data, so not good to have it easily shared across apps?
no, because you can’t identify a person from it.