Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 336921 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2675 on: 15 September, 2021, 12:34:02 pm »
Come back Ted Kaczynski, we need you.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2676 on: 15 September, 2021, 02:04:00 pm »
I have no clothes pegs and I swear I'm middle class. I sneer at chavs and the only reason I go to Lidl is for cheap gin, so I must be.

If you drink Lidl gin you *are* a chav...

(the original Hortus gin was OKish but they've gone a bit downhill since that).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #2677 on: 16 September, 2021, 11:33:52 am »
I upgraded to a new mattress.
It is (much) thicker than the old mattress so some of my sheets no longer tuck in (tuck in! I hear you cry.  Well yes, flat sheets can be sides-to-middled when the middle wears out, thus getting more wear/less waste)
It is alas also a lot heavier than my old mattress so no idea how I will turn it when required.  Presumably with much difficulty as opposed to merely some difficulty.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2678 on: 17 September, 2021, 09:26:47 am »
Pub's kitchen was closed, had a couple of pints then went to Greggs, Greggs was closed, had to go to M&S - at this rate I'll have to get extra from Waitrose. What is the world coming to?
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2679 on: 17 September, 2021, 09:32:28 am »
It is (much) thicker than the old mattress so some of my sheets no longer tuck in (tuck in! I hear you cry.  Well yes, flat sheets can be sides-to-middled when the middle wears out, thus getting more wear/less waste)
It is alas also a lot heavier than my old mattress so no idea how I will turn it when required.  Presumably with much difficulty as opposed to merely some difficulty.
Flat sheets are getting smaller. How can a 150 cm-wide sheet be a "single": 90 cm for the bed+2x25 cm for the sides leaves 10 cm to tuck in to accommodate me. Need to buy a double now.
I like a flat sheet on top*, then I can have multiple layers for adjustment without any of them touching me.

* After the disastrous mistake of using a fitted sheet on top!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2680 on: 17 September, 2021, 09:46:46 am »
Flat sheets are getting smaller. How can a 150 cm-wide sheet be a "single": 90 cm for the bed+2x25 cm for the sides leaves 10 cm to tuck in to accommodate me. Need to buy a double now.
I like a flat sheet on top*, then I can have multiple layers for adjustment without any of them touching me.

* After the disastrous mistake of using a fitted sheet on top!
We’ve given up trying to accommodate both of us in bed with respect to duvet tog value and extra blankets. I am currently sleeping on top of the duvet Dr Beardy (Mrs) is sleeping under and I have a single fleece blanket if i get a bit cool in the night. My night sweats have all but disappeared since we took this approach.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2681 on: 17 September, 2021, 03:30:41 pm »
 You should do as the Germans do - they always have 2 single duvets on a double bed.

My GerMan has a super-light tog duvet upon which he sleeps, I sleep under a thick and heavy one. Works well!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2682 on: 17 September, 2021, 05:16:03 pm »
Ocado cannot deliver frozen foods due to national CO2 shortage!!  How will I survive without my Nuii ice creams?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2683 on: 26 September, 2021, 08:42:59 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2684 on: 29 September, 2021, 12:34:53 pm »
I picked up prawn cocktail crisps instead of ready salted

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2685 on: 15 November, 2021, 01:19:57 pm »
No “Indian Sides” of any type, shape or description in Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles today.  Not even the pukey ones with spinach.  In them.

Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2686 on: 17 November, 2021, 09:55:59 am »
I’ve just received an email from Amazon saying that they will no longer accept Visa CC from mid January because the fees are too high and to change my payment details now.

It feels like a phish, not least because I would have thought a firm the size of Amazon would be in a position to ‘negotiate’ with Visa over fees, and it seems like a massive own goal for them if they really are stopping to accept Visa CC.

If it is phish though, it seems to be a very well constructed one.

I won’t be changing my payment method though, not least because I don’t anything other than Visa that I’m prepared to use on Amazon. At least the change will force me to look for the cheapest supplier rather than using Amazon because it’s simpler as I’ve got a prime account.

ETA: a quick Google and it would seem to be true because VISA are increasing their fees in the UK now that the EU cap no longer applies. Ya, another Brexit winning. Some are saying that this is possibly a negotiation tactic by Amazon.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2687 on: 17 November, 2021, 10:28:12 am »
Yes , I've had the same email & have seen commentary saying it's due to the UK no longer being in the EU.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2688 on: 17 November, 2021, 10:31:16 am »
I had an email from my bank a while back saying that they would be moving from Visa to Mastercard but that was for debit not credit cards. They didn't mention Brexit, of course. And equally obviously, real events are the best disguise for a phish.

« Reply #2689 on: 17 November, 2021, 10:35:42 am »
Yep, the Visa thing seems to be legit:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59306200

Haven't had the email, but I only have Mastercard...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2690 on: 17 November, 2021, 10:38:44 am »
I had the email this morning, and it's just been on the news on the radio as well.

I would have thought a firm the size of Amazon would be in a position to ‘negotiate’ with Visa over fees, and it seems like a massive own goal for them if they really are stopping to accept Visa CC.

I would have thought that there has been an awful lot of negotiation between the two parties before they've reached this point. And I suspect it's a bit of bluff-calling from Amazon - one side or the other will climb down before the change is due to come into effect in January. Amazon clearly think they are in a position to outmuscle Visa.

I won’t be changing my payment method though, not least because I don’t anything other than Visa that I’m prepared to use on Amazon. At least the change will force me to look for the cheapest supplier rather than using Amazon because it’s simpler as I’ve got a prime account.

I wonder how many people would actually ditch Amazon because of this. Some might say they will but then decide they like the convenience of Amazon too much. I'm sure Amazon have factored this into their calculations.

Worth noting that they're waiting until after Christmas to bring this into effect. Cynical.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2691 on: 17 November, 2021, 10:50:36 am »
I'm surprised Amazon don't have their own payment system, like Ali do, or at least haven't bought up an existing one like PayPal. Or maybe they have and I missed it?

ian

« Reply #2692 on: 17 November, 2021, 11:13:30 am »
Sounds like negotiation, I've not had the email, but it seems to be an actual thing. I checked and each of my four CCs is, of course, Visa. I don't want another CC, it's not like I need the ones I have. I think you can use Apple Pay, not sure how that works if it's still tied to a Visa card. A bit of a stupid move if Amazon stick to their guns and Visa don't budge.

I hate Amazon, but it's perilously convenient. Though I'm, in general, trying to buy less stuff.

ETA: you have mail. Oh well, I'm not about to get another CC unless my wife has a MasterCard.

citoyen

« Reply #2693 on: 17 November, 2021, 01:02:07 pm »
To be honest, if Amazon do go through with this, it will probably be a good thing for me - it might make me think twice about buying more shit if I have to actually pay for it with ready cash up front.

I've got my Visa card set up as the default for buying Kindle books and paying the Prime sub, so it's a good excuse to swap those, which I probably should do anyway. Not entirely sure why those are on the CC.

citoyen

« Reply #2694 on: 17 November, 2021, 01:04:22 pm »
I'm surprised Amazon don't have their own payment system

It did cross my mind that this could be a precursory move towards that.

ian

« Reply #2695 on: 17 November, 2021, 07:38:06 pm »
To be honest, if Amazon do go through with this, it will probably be a good thing for me - it might make me think twice about buying more shit if I have to actually pay for it with ready cash up front.

I've got my Visa card set up as the default for buying Kindle books and paying the Prime sub, so it's a good excuse to swap those, which I probably should do anyway. Not entirely sure why those are on the CC.

I'd forgotten about my Kindle addiction and Prime Video. That will be a grand pain in the dangleberries if they don't sort it out. I really don't want another card.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2696 on: 18 November, 2021, 12:18:02 am »
I’ve started reading up on 2mm finescale, please send help.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2697 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:08:28 am »
I'm surprised Amazon don't have their own payment system

It did cross my mind that this could be a precursory move towards that.

They have an Amazon credit card, which is Mastercard?
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2698 on: 18 November, 2021, 11:32:53 am »
I just want to know what makes a clothes peg "middle-class"! ???
Where you buy them from probably.

My stock of wooden clothes pegs was bought at Woolworths, probably around the year 2000.

Suspect their vintage make me middle class, even if Woolworths might be infra dig...

« Reply #2699 on: 18 November, 2021, 05:02:45 pm »
I’ve started reading up on 2mm finescale, please send help.

I visited the Model Railway Club's Copenhagen Fields layout at their HQ near Kings Cross a few months ago.

There's a new YouTube feature about it, Google youtube copenhagen fields model