Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469535 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3600 on: 13 October, 2021, 06:08:41 pm »
Nice!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3601 on: 13 October, 2021, 08:11:28 pm »
Finally got some meds via a walk in health centre and telephone triage. They got back to me within the hour. Not my own practice. My surgery, fobs people off insisting that you phone in each morning at 8am. Also, the fact that my own practice holds a 'hub' surgery in the evenings in a different locality for people urgently wishing to see a medical professional was made known to me by the walk in Health Centre. This was not communicated to me by the receptionist when I visited my own surgery. They probably 'forgot' to tell me that this was available. (oh really). Thought you may be interested in the gruesome detail. Not a good photo as it is behind me. Watch out for them there spiders people.

If you posted that on facebook, I think it would fall foul of the nipple police, Bob. I hope you recover soon!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3602 on: 13 October, 2021, 11:26:36 pm »
Tooth sourced discomfort since erm a while, kent it was about to grt nasty St the weekend but...

Kept me awake last night, got an appointment just after lunch today, dentist was pretty sure it's an abscess from my triage answers but confirmed when I was in. He was sure enough to keep an AGP room appointment that had freed up available for me tomorrow.
Which was nice of him.

Root canal, I find the 15 mins for a filling tedious enough. I've been told to expect 45 minutes with the possibility of the erm excitement of a change of plan to an extraction.

so on top of the 200 plus quid for glasses last month its another 200 quid...

Not quite as sore as the sudden burtds of painful distraction emitting from my guns that I'm hoping will be gone when the local runs out...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3603 on: 14 October, 2021, 11:47:21 am »
Just had three adjacent molars out.  Disgusting: nearly 70 years good & faithful service and they get callously wrenched from their places and thrown aside. Dentist must be a Tory.  And as usual, every time I have a medical emmerdement it's a perfect cycling day.  3 or 4 days without physical for clotting to solidify, quoth the toothy man with a smile, then it'll be pissing down heaven's hard.

Anaesthetic just beginning to wear off, paracetamol not yet working...  Oh what fun.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3604 on: 14 October, 2021, 08:53:24 pm »
My local ran out earlier, I can bite down on the area now, the pain is gone (for now) but I can still feel somethings not right, but I'm not sure how much of its is from recently having been attacked by a psychopath*.

There was plenty of new devices whit ah'd ne'er seen afore, a slow oscillating drill, and a small pokey thing attached by a single wire to some sort of electrical device that beeped  when he pressed down, the return wire was hooked to my cheek and he'd set up some sort of tent round the tooth.

Round 2 is next Friday, if its worked then the remains of the tooth gets coronated.

The new dentist used FFP3 mask rather than an active respirator like the previous.
And the air on was pumping at a fair rate.

* assumed because apparently surgeons and dentists show psychopathic tendencies.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3605 on: 15 October, 2021, 08:41:08 am »
I had an interesting night, mostly spent looking at the clock until painkiller time rolled round again - that and swallowing blood, since avoiding a heart attack takes precedence over gingival haemorrhage so I had to keep up the meds.  Face this morning looks like an impression of a unilateral hamster.

Daftest thing is that molars have negative mass, and might possibly lend themselves to the development of an Alcubierre warp drive, since negative mass is just a hair away from the requisite negative energy.  This observation prompted by the fact that although I ate very little yesterday I was 2 kg heavier this morning than yesterday.  Eat your boxers, Shatner, any day now I'm going to boldly go further than the Enterprise ever did.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3606 on: 15 October, 2021, 03:08:45 pm »
Mend well soonest!
Trauma causes fluid retention, as do some pain medicines.
Expect a day/night of pi$$ing like a trooper, followed by dramatic weight loss, within the next few days.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3607 on: 15 October, 2021, 03:33:40 pm »
Thanks, Helly.  Just had a dose of the runs, probably from the same origins.  Feeling surprisingly good otherwise.  According to dentist's clotting predictions I should get a ride by Wednesday.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3608 on: 16 October, 2021, 08:33:56 am »
Mend well soonest!
Trauma causes fluid retention, as do some pain medicines.
Expect a day/night of pi$$ing like a trooper, followed by dramatic weight loss, within the next few days.

You got that right.  Dazed from lack of sleep this morning.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3609 on: 16 October, 2021, 02:47:45 pm »
Knowing the SCIENCE doesn't necessarily reduce the effects!
I suppose it's useful/reassuring to know this was a likely scenario.
Rest well.
Mend well!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3610 on: 16 October, 2021, 04:14:51 pm »
Knowing the SCIENCE doesn't necessarily reduce the effects!
I suppose it's useful/reassuring to know this was a likely scenario.

It's quite educational to watch, too.  As the dentist warned me, the subcutaneous haemorrhage has spread, and has now reached my Adam's apple.  I should have phoned the cardiologist and asked if I could knock off the clopidogrel for a couple of days.  I did ask the dentist but he quite rightly wasn't going to tell me to suspend cardiac meds.

Rest well.
Mend well!

Thanks again. That's exactly what I'm doing: that and eating soft things.  Reminds me of the old folks when I was a kid: "can't eat that with my teeth".

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3611 on: 16 October, 2021, 04:25:36 pm »
My Daddy says 'Gravity Begins at Home'.

Enjoy your soupe!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3612 on: 16 October, 2021, 10:05:36 pm »
What's that now 3 days post root canal?
Discomforts due to dentistry have now gone and I'm left with a couple of slightly sore bits.

Got out on bike, and oh!
Yes how long has this been developing in my gums?
Feelings under higher HR loads other than the throbbing tooth did not appear for the first time in ages. Throbbing tooth obviously also did not appear as the root canal removed all the throbby stuff from it.

Hopefully being able to eat on the right hand side of my mouth again will also help get the ear wax partially blocking my right ear in the move too.

If it wasn't for the apparent dairy intolerance I'd attack some ice cream to, you know just to really test the sensitivity that's been under that tooth for the last 10 years or so.

I await round 2 to see what dentist says.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3613 on: 16 October, 2021, 10:29:51 pm »

Enjoy your gruts soupe!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3614 on: 17 October, 2021, 08:51:00 am »

Enjoy your soupe!

Quenelles are the thing. Haven't had them for yonks (carbs etc) but they won't hurt for a few days. Great w. cheese sauce.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3615 on: 25 October, 2021, 11:46:48 pm »
Round 2 of root canal was on Friday, the temporary filling lasted till today...

Rounds 3 and 4 are on the 10th,
So far no discomfort from it not being there, do I accept eating on one side for 2 weeks or spent 2 hours whenever the dentist can replug the hole.

Edit: looks like the temporary dressing's cracked horizontally and the top bits off,
Meh.

The Brust lip is more annoying

« Reply #3616 on: 26 October, 2021, 10:08:47 am »
My wife has been diagnosed coeliac for 11 years.  Yesterday we went to a chain Italian restaurant and after she ordered gf pizza they gave her a wholewheat base instead (and delivered it on the gf serving board)! When they realised and came over it was too late and we had all finished eating. Nothing to be done now, but if you are eating out, even if you trust the chain, it's probably worth checking that whatever arrives at your table definitely meets your dietary needs.

« Reply #3617 on: 26 October, 2021, 12:37:44 pm »
My wife has been diagnosed coeliac for 11 years.  Yesterday we went to a chain Italian restaurant and after she ordered gf pizza they gave her a wholewheat base instead (and delivered it on the gf serving board)! When they realised and came over it was too late and we had all finished eating. Nothing to be done now, but if you are eating out, even if you trust the chain, it's probably worth checking that whatever arrives at your table definitely meets your dietary needs.
That is shockingly bad. I hope your wife doesn't have a serious reaction. I've known people who would be hospitalised after an incident like that.

(Similar thing happened to me in York once, at a restaurant called Ambiente. Fortunately I'm not allergic, just wheat intolerant.)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3618 on: 26 October, 2021, 12:57:44 pm »
Bloody hell Duncan M, I wonder if that's worth reporting to the local food standards agency as that's a serious matter.

I hope your wife doesn't suffer too serious effects and if she does, they pass quickly.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3619 on: 26 October, 2021, 12:57:58 pm »
Reminds me of the habits of Parisian restaurants in the lunch hour, where one bloke is working the coffee engine full tilt and lining them up for the waiters.  If someone orders a decaff the waiter just adds some hot water to one of the ones already waiting.

Well, that's the way it was in the 80s, last time I worked there.

« Reply #3620 on: 26 October, 2021, 01:46:44 pm »
She's feeling a bit crap, but hopefully it won't last too long. She's in touch with Coeliac UK, so things may yet happen on that front.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3621 on: 26 October, 2021, 04:12:05 pm »
EeeeK!
HK OTP is quite severely coeliac and is out & about a fair bit.

Maybe she needs to know which place to avoid.

I appreciate this might just be due to one employee...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3622 on: 26 October, 2021, 04:40:03 pm »
Reminds me of the habits of Parisian restaurants in the lunch hour, where one bloke is working the coffee engine full tilt and lining them up for the waiters.  If someone orders a decaff the waiter just adds some hot water to one of the ones already waiting.

Well, that's the way it was in the 80s, last time I worked there.
It doesn't sound quite that bad, as it was clearly a genuine mistake (otherwise why would they apologise) rather than laziness. But it's also worse, because far more serious.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3623 on: 26 October, 2021, 05:30:13 pm »
It was definitely human error. It's been entered into the chain's cloud incident management system so they can be audited on it, so it sounds like they are treating it properly. I think Coeliac UK are chasing it with head office, so it's not something that is going to just get forgotten about. I don't want to put names out there on a public forum, but if anyone is coeliac and wants to PM me, feel free.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3624 on: 26 October, 2021, 06:03:31 pm »
I am glad it is being taken seriously. Hopefully it will be used to learn lessons and not blame low-paid people, but fix systems for the future.