Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 279494 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Boring weather today: 10/10 cloud, spitting, no wind. 16°C or so.  Roads were chock full of cyclists yesterday, didn't see a one when I did a 5k toddle to fetch ice cream.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
The weather is keeping me awake. Persistent heavy rain, strong wind and occasional outbreaks of car alarms are not conducive to slumber.

My dear wife seems unaffected.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Beardy

• Shedist
What truly horrid weather. I’ve just taken Dr Beardy (Mrs) to work, and although I only had two idiots1 I got through the flooding unscathed. I suspect it won’t be long before someone drowns their car in one of the increasing floods and totally screws up the back roads into Ipswich. I came back via the main roads.

1. There’s a pinch point with a priority flow signposts. It’s about 150m in all, although the formal part of the priority is only 15m or so. I had entered the pinch point which is at the bottom of a dip that was flooded, so I was travelling very slowly. The idiots at the other end decided that I wasn’t moving and so entered the top of the pinch point thus making life difficult for all. And they had the temerity to mutter and gesticulate at me as we squeezed past each other. Tossers.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
27.6mm last night/this morning. I think all the rain fell between 4am and 7am. That makes it the wettest day this year so far.

Last year's wettest was 2nd October when 54.6mm fell.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Very rare I hear rain, thanks to the thatched roof on my house. I heard it this morning!

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Very rare I hear rain, thanks to the thatched roof on my house. I heard it this morning!

But don't you hear it splatting on the ground?  I suppose it depends if you have hard surfaces around your house.  I only recall having been in a thatched house in a rainstorm once, and the sound of the rain hitting the ground was very noticeable (the windows were open, it was a warm evening).  That house did have hard paving around most of it.  As I'd generally dealt with commercial buildings up to then, the fact that guttering is generally unfeasible on thatched properties had never occurred to me.
Wombat

TimC

No, there are no hard surfaces around the thatched portion of the house. The old Victorian forge which is the kitchen has a tiled roof, and it gets noisy in there in that kind of rain (the roof isn't thick or well-insulated - yet). But I don't normally inhabit the kitchen at 5am!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Well, back in shorts today (in a non-cycling context). But definitely autumn, warm outside, mild in.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

A beautiful misty morning, still and remarkably quiet (partly due to the stillness, no wind = no wind carried road noise). Reminiscent of cycle touring holidays in Cantal and the Ardeche this time of year, minus the Sunday shotgun and church bell soundtrack.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Beardy

• Shedist
Well rain wasn’t forecast this morning. That’s this mornings painting needing to be done again  >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
1.3°C this morning.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Had to put the Dehumidifier onto a higher level this morning.
It is simpler than it looks.

First time in a good few months that the temperature was in single figures at 06:00 am.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Getting a bit nippy in here.  I may have to put on some socks :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
First time in a good few months that the temperature was in single figures at 06:00 am.

We've had 6 nights in single figures so far this month, but this morning was definitely the coldest. Minimum 5.5°C. We had two in single figures last month.

http://tickfield.thewalkers.org.uk/weewx/tabular.html?report=NOAA/NOAA-2021-10.txt

Last night was the coldest since 7th May.

http://tickfield.thewalkers.org.uk/weewx/tabular.html?report=NOAA/NOAA-2021-05.txt

TimC

Wednesday morning at 6am, Alexa was claiming the temperature was 2°. BBC weather said 4°. I decided I needed to get up and see what my outside thermometer said - 6°. Still bloody cold!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
A message from "Finnish" son just now:

I see it is around 20 degrees in Essex...I am looking out the window at the first snow of the season and there was ice forming on the sea earlier 😬

He's in Vaasa.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Hellish gale over in the west, gusts of 175 kph in Fécamp. Now travelling NEwards. We're OK here, 72 kph max forecast.  Nonetheless our house, being half-timbered, flexes a bit when a strong one hits us*.  Back when we had our hurricane in 1999 it was creaking like a ship, and our bedroom door has rubbed the floor a bit ever since.  Never fixed it: it holds the door closed without using the door-handle, which is useful for stealthy cludge-trudging in the night.

* ETA as it did just now. My screen wobbled.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
44.2mm in my rain gauge this morning. Annoyingly, something has blocked the mechanical rain gauge on the roof so I must get a ladder out.

That's the wettest since 2nd October last year, when over 54mm fell.

This morning I heard from a friend a couple of miles away that her house has been flooded with raw sewage. For the past few days there has been a horrendous stench down along the sea front and it seems that a sewer has collapsed.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Our wheelbarrow is full of water.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

Joke about eels goes here ==>

Beardy

• Shedist
<AOL> mine too

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
For the first time this season, I noticed my breath on the air early this morning.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Clearly you were up too early.  Stay in bed until midday.