Author Topic: Panniers  (Read 13370 times)

Otto

• Biking Bad
Re: Panniers
« Reply #50 on: 21 January, 2015, 04:08:58 pm »
If I had to buy ortliebs again I wouldn't get the black ones, they are too dark inside when ferreting around for bits

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 21 January, 2015, 04:27:33 pm »
If I had to buy ortliebs again I wouldn't get the black ones, they are too dark inside when ferreting around for bits

I thought the Brompton C-bag having a bright yellow lining was a gimmick, but it's actually quite handy for exactly this reason.   :thumbsup:

(It bothers me less with the Ortliebs, as I tend to put small items in the internal pockets or easily identifiable coloured stuff sacks.)

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #52 on: 21 January, 2015, 04:39:04 pm »

I thought the Brompton C-bag having a bright yellow lining was a gimmick, but it's actually quite handy for exactly this reason.   :thumbsup:

(It bothers me less with the Ortliebs, as I tend to put small items in the internal pockets or easily identifiable coloured stuff sacks.)

Mine are so old they don't have pockets

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #53 on: 21 January, 2015, 05:01:00 pm »
The shower caps on my Altura front panniers are no more inconvenient than having to unroll & roll the top of an Ortlieb and root round inside (given there are no external pockets) in any conditions.

My Creek2Peak Rackpack uses a "Showercap".  Many people seem OK with that approach but I just see it as an admission of failure by the manufacturer. 
4 "Showercaps" are just 4 more faffy things to deal with when you reach camp when it's probably windy and raining.

As for the problem of fitting the correct Ortlieb to the correct side of the bike, that's an issue fixed in 60 seconds with a bit of white insulation tape, or cable-tie, on the right-hand-side panniers. 
In my case I just remember that the lower hook points forwards.

Also I too poke the Orlieb spring-loaded hooks, to make sure it's fully deployed.  As I mentioned previously mine are, intentionally, a very snug fit so they rarely fit without a little poke.

Once that hook is deployed I reckon you could lift the bike using the Ortleib carry handles.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #54 on: 30 January, 2015, 02:52:28 pm »
I bought a pair of Ortieb Rolltop panniers eighteen months ago and have used them on 4 weekend camps.
I like the total waterproof capability. Having shared my one man tent with a rucksack on a previous occasion I vary much appreciate the extra space in the tent. The down sides to this is there is the  temptation to have kit spread around your camp site which looks poor and could be a trip hazard for the bladder o'clock excursion.
Two things I don't like. The faff of rolling down the top, fastening the top clip then fastening the strap through the clip on the front. I solved this by getting a bar bag for the commonly needed things. Secondly the fact that once adjusted, they will only fit on one bike and can't be swapped between bikes with different racks.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #55 on: 30 January, 2015, 03:00:07 pm »
Vince,

I've been using the front rollers for commuting for years and I find that you don't need to bother with the strap across the front. Ditch the strap and just clip the two ends to each other across the top. I've not had rain get in by doing this, and it's much quicker. Secondly, with practice you get quick at re-jigging the fixings for different bikes. It takes me about two minutes for a pair of panniers.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 30 January, 2015, 03:32:45 pm »
I've been using the front rollers for commuting for years and I find that you don't need to bother with the strap across the front. Ditch the strap and just clip the two ends to each other across the top. I've not had rain get in by doing this, and it's much quicker.

This is my preferred method of closing them, too, like a drybag.

Note that it isn't entirely waterproof on a Front Roller when filled to capacity, due to the angles involved.  By which I mean it's fine against normal rain, but won't stand up to immersion or recumbent seat runoff.

Secondly, with practice you get quick at re-jigging the fixings for different bikes. It takes me about two minutes for a pair of panniers.

The 'Plus' versions of the panniers can have their fixings adjusted without tools, so if you're going to be doing this a lot it's probably worthwhile.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #57 on: 30 January, 2015, 05:17:37 pm »
Ortlieb panniers are quite capable of carrying half a gallon of milk around. They don't need a bottle as the milk does not leak out.

They do have a design fault, though, as there is no spout or lip built into the pannier to enable you to pour the milk accurately into your cup when you stop by the roadside to make tea.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #58 on: 30 January, 2015, 07:14:02 pm »
I can set up Ortlieb panniers that can be fitted either side of my Tubus racks without modification.   They tend to have lots of flexibility in their mounting setup, something which I take my time to sort when I first get them.

Opening a roll top:  Unclip ONE buckle, unroll.

Opening a shower cap:   Remove shower cap, unclip.

Not much difference really and not a deal breaker.   

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #59 on: 30 January, 2015, 07:52:16 pm »
I can set up Ortlieb panniers that can be fitted either side of my Tubus racks without modification.   They tend to have lots of flexibility in their mounting setup, something which I take my time to sort when I first get them.

Related, and hats off to the guys at HPVelotechnik for this: You can set them up to fit either the front or rear racks on a Streetmachine without modification (though you do have to swap them over - front left becomes rear right and so on).  Brilliant when you want to use the smaller panniers for a day ride from a camping base, or the odd occasion you want to put the big panniers on the front.

« Reply #60 on: 02 February, 2015, 10:53:47 pm »
The other solution, of course, is simply to buy identical racks for each bike.

(Not cheap if you have a Tubus fetish, I'll grant you.)

« Reply #61 on: 02 February, 2015, 11:20:51 pm »
Since the OP seems to have made his decision, I'll put my Ortliebs whinge here.

The mounts are a right pain. Wonderfully easy to lift the pannier off, but forget about it if you have a rack with narrow rails - those spacers Ortlieb provide are classic pingfuckits which will just vanish when you're not looking. And then the things rattle like the waking dead.

You can't even secure the spacers properly. I've tried all sorts of glue, but they're worse than British WWII POWs. They'll find some way to escape when you're not looking.

When I was touring, I resorted to toestraps and cable ties and electrical tape to dampen the rattling, none of which was especially effective.

Replacement mounts for narrow rails would be ideal.

Carradice panniers have their quirks as well, but at least they have a more analogue system of mounting which is more adaptable. And they don't have a hook where you want to lay your head if you're using a pannier as a pillow. Also, the outside pocket is incredibly useful.

And cotton duck has a more homely feel than the plasticky mass-produced stuff Ortlieb use. Ok, that's probably not your main concern, but whichever way you go, you're stuck with 'em for a while, so the look and feel is something you'll be living with for a while, given the lifespan of your average Ortlieb or Carradice.

I'm open to offers on a pair of Ortlieb front rollers in black, by the way.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #62 on: 03 February, 2015, 12:22:04 am »
You can't even secure the spacers properly. I've tried all sorts of glue, but they're worse than British WWII POWs. They'll find some way to escape when you're not looking.
The spacers have been improved with the latest version (QL2.1). So they should be less likely to fall off and go missing.

« Reply #63 on: 03 February, 2015, 10:26:53 am »
Deano

I share your liking for Carradice's cotton duck material for its practicality and reassuring old world appeal, but I also use Ortlieb panniers and have not had any problems with the hook mechanisms. For those who don't know, the spring loaded hooks come with inserts for different diameter rails. I have used these for commuting, year after year, and have never had an insert come loose. And with all panniers I wrap a band of insulation tape around the pannier rail at the contact points to make a perfect, snug fit. The Ortlieb material may have a more modern look, but it is a great material to make panniers out of.