Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 428720 times)

Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #2775 on: 11 October, 2021, 04:47:00 pm »
Have always been a little puzzled by the speed of light and time compression for space travel thing. Since speed is relative I never got why the return trip couldn't be considered that the rocket was stationary and the earth moving towards it very quickly so cancelling out the differences in time. It came up again in a book I was reading the other day. The next book I started on was Paradoxes by the physicist and TV presenter Jim Al-Khalili.
So I had a peek at his web site and there was a "contact me" button. So I did and asked him about speed of light thing and space travel thing, I also mentioned I was reading his book and enjoying it. Didn't really expect any answer.

Amazingly next morning I had an email from him. It said:

Its not a symmetrical thing as the acceleration and deceleration undertaken by the spaceship and not the earth breaks the symmetry. By the way this is covered extensively in chapter 8 of my book which you are reading ...

Pat slaps head ....

Nice of him to reply though.

See your sig line
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2776 on: 11 October, 2021, 05:29:23 pm »
Have always been a little puzzled by the speed of light and time compression for space travel thing. Since speed is relative I never got why the return trip couldn't be considered that the rocket was stationary and the earth moving towards it very quickly so cancelling out the differences in time. It came up again in a book I was reading the other day. The next book I started on was Paradoxes by the physicist and TV presenter Jim Al-Khalili.
So I had a peek at his web site and there was a "contact me" button. So I did and asked him about speed of light thing and space travel thing, I also mentioned I was reading his book and enjoying it. Didn't really expect any answer.

Amazingly next morning I had an email from him. It said:

Its not a symmetrical thing as the acceleration and deceleration undertaken by the spaceship and not the earth breaks the symmetry. By the way this is covered extensively in chapter 8 of my book which you are reading ...

Pat slaps head ....

Nice of him to reply though.

See your sig line

Yeah, I always knew I was wrong just couldn't find it explained anywhere why :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #2777 on: 11 October, 2021, 05:37:36 pm »
Isn't it something to do with spacetime stretching, so symmetry is routinely broken (and this explains why distant starlight appears to break the conservation of energy but doesn't if you consider that spacetime continues to expand)?

Honestly, I don't know why this stuff took Einstein so long.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2778 on: 11 October, 2021, 06:00:04 pm »
Speaking of B&M, the dynamo buffer battery I put in a cupboard after PBP 2015 hasn't been used since and is probably dead.

And dead it is.  I put it in circuit & gave the wheel a spin: light stayed off. Battery out of circuit & spin again, light comes on.  Oh well.

Lithium-ion cell protection circuitry will probably trickle-charge until the voltage is in spec, before coming to life (if the cell isn't too far gone).  Suggest you ride PBP with it again and see if it starts working...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2779 on: 12 October, 2021, 09:10:09 am »
Speaking of B&M, the dynamo buffer battery I put in a cupboard after PBP 2015 hasn't been used since and is probably dead.

And dead it is.  I put it in circuit & gave the wheel a spin: light stayed off. Battery out of circuit & spin again, light comes on.  Oh well.

Lithium-ion cell protection circuitry will probably trickle-charge until the voltage is in spec, before coming to life (if the cell isn't too far gone).  Suggest you ride PBP with it again and see if it starts working...

I would dearly love to, believe me.

I'll try and knock together some kind of connector and put it on a USB charger.

ETA: I've got it hooked up to an old 9v battery (exp Jan 2001) which is still delivering 5.8ish voles, and sitting within smelling distance on my desk just in case.

ETA': That's rubbish: charging current is around 2 mA.  Recommended max is 1.5 A.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2780 on: 12 October, 2021, 09:07:08 pm »
I decided to shorten a pair of trousers using the iron-on web stuff that I have used successfully before. Went very well until I realised that I should have turned the trousers inside-out before starting. Doh!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2781 on: 13 October, 2021, 08:54:55 am »
I shortened my trousers that way for a job interview in the 70s.  When I came out I headed post-haste, still in my interview duds, to the clinic where my wife was about to give birth. While she was in the throes the tape job gave way.  The first thing the theatre nurses did after my daughter was born was to fetch sticking-plaster for my turn-ups.

Didn't get the job.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2782 on: 13 October, 2021, 12:25:42 pm »
I shortened my trousers that way for a job interview in the 70s.  When I came out I headed post-haste, still in my interview duds, to the clinic where my wife was about to give birth. While she was in the throes the tape job gave way.  The first thing the theatre nurses did after my daughter was born was to fetch sticking-plaster for my turn-ups.

Didn't get the job.
You got off lightly: a lot of people in that situation end up with stitches  :-X
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2783 on: 22 October, 2021, 04:20:45 pm »
For some reason I'm crap at out of office voicemail and on email. Did them all today, my old work mobile didn't do the thing where the keypad wouldn't display which leads to a long pause after I finish. Remembered to press # all good

Except I'd done them all retuning to work

1st October

I can either time travel or off work for 11 Months

« Reply #2784 on: 24 October, 2021, 04:15:47 pm »
Mega div

Went for a rough, boggy bimble on local hills.
Stopped to take photos with phone at one point. Shoved phone back in bag.

Get home - no phone in bag.

I *probably* shoved it part way in and it fell out when I put bag on back - it was so windy I had trouble getting rucksack back on my back.

That was when I was standing in knee-high heather.

Likely location of dropped phone; over an hour's walk away at a minimum. But it could have been anywhere on a very rambling, pathless walk.

This is super-bad, as my phone is used to verify access to work systems.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2785 on: 24 October, 2021, 04:22:10 pm »
Can you locate the phone with 'find my device' or similar?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2786 on: 24 October, 2021, 04:33:07 pm »
Just as drug dealers have burner phones and cyclists need crasher phones, walkers need loser phones.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2787 on: 24 October, 2021, 04:39:58 pm »
That worked very well for my daughter's phone after she dropped it in some long grass on a walk. It was only a few hundred yards from where she was when she noticed its loss.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #2788 on: 24 October, 2021, 04:45:54 pm »

yeah . . .

The location given by that is at least 3 km out

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2789 on: 24 October, 2021, 04:46:38 pm »
Just as drug dealers have burner phones and cyclists need crasher phones, walkers need loser phones.

Or, when taking a phone in a pouch with a leash, they need to be not such an effing div and actually use the leash.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2790 on: 25 October, 2021, 02:44:43 pm »
Took the rear wheel out one of my bikes as dismantling the derailleur for a thorough clean. Due to mudguard need to deflate tyre a bit

Put all back together and went for a brew. Oiling chain and think hmm tyres a bit soft must have had a visitation. Thankfully just before taking it out to fix i noticed the valve was undone and remembered why

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2791 on: 25 October, 2021, 04:14:19 pm »
That thing where you go for a wee and realise you flies are already open, and you are left trying to work out when you last had a wee, and where you've been since then.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2792 on: 29 October, 2021, 01:19:00 pm »
Taking out a wall and window. There is already a beam above, this used to be a garage door-sized entrance.

Cut the screws holding window in place. Hmm won't move. Took out all the blockwork to the sides - still won't move. Took out blockwork below. Surely?  Yes, with a nudge. Bastard heavy for its size, mashed my fingers. Ow

Managed to roll up the sheeting I had outside (with several beams clamping it to provide strength. Tied up with rope.

Ok, work done. Lower it. Untie one end. Untie other, holding beams. I'll step down off ladder and go to the middle . . . Whole lot slips through fingers, 4.8m of 4x2 smacks me in the head and sends me flying. Ouch. Gingerly prod skull checking for bleeds. Nothing major.

Idiot.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2793 on: 29 October, 2021, 04:14:35 pm »
And the divvery continues. I'm on a roll, folks!

Cycle in to Stornoway - only about 16km away but I'm going shopping at it isn't flat.

Rush to library. Lock up bike. Erm, hang on, my bike lock key isn't on this keyring. No problem, I always keep the spare key in my tool pouch.  Why won't key go in?

That's the Abus key. Not much chance of it working in a Kryptonite lock. You absolute arse.

So I did bare minimum essential jobs, that didn't mean leaving bike alone for long. People are pretty good around here, but it is school chucking out time and teenagers are teenagers everywhere.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2794 on: 29 October, 2021, 04:36:41 pm »
Guess which idiot left his glasses within the dog's easy reach...

Glasses by citoyen, on Flickr

This is one of the two new pairs I bought just over a month ago. He's already had a go at the other pair, but fortunately didn't get further than chewing the end of one of the arms.

Luckily, they're cheapos from Glasses Direct, which lessens the pain somewhat.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2795 on: 29 October, 2021, 04:39:35 pm »
@mrcharly did the knock to your head cause the key issue?

@citoyen I hope they weren't superduper ££££
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

« Reply #2796 on: 29 October, 2021, 04:46:18 pm »
@citoyen I hope they weren't superduper ££££

I took advantage of the new customer offer from Glasses Direct, which means I got both pairs with change from £20.

Price is not the main concern anyway - I just can't read without glasses now, and since reading is a rather fundamental part of my job, they're quite important to me.

Although I'm actually more worried about the possibility that the dog has eaten bits of broken glass - I really can't afford a vet's bill right now...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2797 on: 29 October, 2021, 04:47:10 pm »
Plastic lenses next time? Hope the pooch is ok.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

« Reply #2798 on: 29 October, 2021, 04:48:22 pm »
Plastic lenses next time? Hope the pooch is ok.

Or just get into the habit of keeping them on a high shelf!

(I've managed to learn not to put my slippers down anywhere he can reach them.)

« Reply #2799 on: 29 October, 2021, 05:09:30 pm »
That thing where you go for a wee and realise you flies are already open, and you are left trying to work out when you last had a wee, and where you've been since then.

Just follow the trail, that'll answer the second question.....