Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 15718 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Tyres
« Reply #25 on: 26 June, 2019, 02:15:46 pm »
The lowest rolling resistance wide 406 tyre that I have seen somebody use is probably the Greenspeed Scorcher (up to 100psi) but you may want somewhat more puncture resistance. Ask on the BHPV forum for appropriate options but the Marathon Racer 406 or G-One 406 may suit. https://www.ginkgo-veloteile.de/ginkgoshop/en/Wheel-Accessories/Tires-Tubes/Tires-406-mm/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #26 on: 26 June, 2019, 07:50:15 pm »
What's is the maximum clearance for tyres front and rear?

I see what you're thinking. The Almotion is only available in 55-559. So I'd need a little extra clearance. I'm never entirely clear on what that 50/55 means. There is a small amount of clearance, but I'm tempted to stick to a 50-559 tyre, which I'm more confident will fit without fouling the mudguard. There's more space for the 20" front wheel.

« Reply #27 on: 26 June, 2019, 10:17:46 pm »
I could try taking the Big Apple 55-559 tyre off my Urban Arrow and putting that on the Pino, but removing the rear wheel from the Urban Arrow is even less appealing...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #28 on: 28 June, 2019, 10:16:07 am »
How often are you going to ride PBP? Swapping tyres to check clearance or tweaking your mudguards to allow a slightly wider tyre is a worthwhile time investment if it means a successful and comfortable PBP.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #29 on: 28 June, 2019, 11:05:26 am »
How often are you going to ride PBP? Swapping tyres to check clearance or tweaking your mudguards to allow a slightly wider tyre is a worthwhile time investment if it means a successful and comfortable PBP.

Very true, but if I take the Urban Arrow to pieces I have to have it back in action it time to pick kids up from school and stuff, and that waits for nothing.

I've had a look at the mudguards and I don't think there is really any tweaking available, so if a wider tyre fits it fits. There's a bit of choice available for the 26" tyre at the back, but really not so much for the front. Front and back don't have to be the same type, of course!

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #30 on: 26 February, 2020, 04:56:27 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying to find an alternative to the now discontinued Continental GP4000S II 700x28c.  Usually we have at least 100psi in the rear tyre.  I'd consider something slightly more robust but we want low rolling resistance and a compound with good grip (Gatorskins don't have such good grip in my opinion).  Grand Prix 4 Season 28c are fairly good but are a bit slimmer than the GP4000S II 28c.  I'd consider 700x30c Marathon Racers for winter use except I think they discontinued the folding version.

Has anyone tried the new Continental GP5000 on a tandem?  Is it as robust/durable?  We found the GP4000S adequately robust for Audax and lightweight touring but wouldn't want anything less robust.

How does the Panaracer Pasela ProTite and Schwalbe Pro One tyre sizes and compound (grip in wet conditions) compare to Continental GP4000S II ?

Thanks, A.

Phil W

« Reply #31 on: 26 February, 2020, 08:54:19 pm »
I'm looking for a fresh pair of tyres for the Pino for PBP. It's a 20" front wheel and 26" rear and has previously had Schwalbe Marathon 47×406 (front), 50×559 (rear). The combined weight of captain and stoker is probably around 150Kg.

I'm not a massive fan of fixing p*nctures at the roadside on this, particularly at 4am on an audax, so I'm probably thinking something at the Marathon end of things, but less rolling resistance is also good. As is often the case, the front wheel is easier to take off than the rear, so different tyres might be in order.

Any suggestions appreciated!

How about the new Energizer Plus from Schwalbe which they claim rolls faster than Marathon and has equal puncture protection? Comes in 47mm for 26” / 559 wheels.

« Reply #32 on: 27 February, 2020, 07:04:44 am »
Have been using Pirelli 4 s on a couple of my bikes.
Whether they are suitable for tandems I wouldn't know

« Reply #33 on: 06 June, 2020, 09:09:03 pm »
Blimey, it’s been over four years since I posted my original question, time for an update I guess.

In the end I went for a pair of 32 Marathon Plus. I know some say these are a bit slow & heavy, but as Rod Marton almost said upthread, we’re also a bit slow & heavy. Anyway the good news bit, not a single puncture! Whether that was simply down to good luck (that's ruined it hasn't it) or tyre technology is improving I don't know, but eirther way for a, err less than light weight combo the Marathons have done the trick.