Author Topic: Can I start a route not at the start?  (Read 1506 times)

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
Can I start a route not at the start?
« on: 14 May, 2010, 08:16:08 pm »
Sorry for the n00b question, but...

I have an Edge 205 (so no maps) and have put together a series of waypoints in marengo so that I can follow my planned route tomorrow. This is the first time I have done this, having previously just used courses following the wiggly line.

Anyway, my, hopefully, simple question is, can I turn my garmin on when I am somewhere in the middle of the route and start navigating it from there, or will it just point me in the direction of the first waypoint back at the start? The reason I want to do this is I am not sure my battery life will last as long as it will my take me to cycle the route. Would I be better splitting the route into separate bits or will it work as is?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Can I start a route not at the start?
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2010, 09:49:04 pm »
I think it will work OK, but I've only ever done it as a course (which you can definitely start halfway through, although it may mis-read the distance you have to the end).

If you're unsure it might be best to chop it up into shorter sections that you can do OK.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2010, 10:28:23 pm »
Generally it'll start off telling you to go to the start, then work out where you are, and plop you on the route at the nearest point. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2010, 09:13:42 am »
Assuming it is the same as my 305, yes (as andygates)

I've found that the best way to work (for me) is to plot the route in Google maps, then use Gmaps to GPX (http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/) to create a GPX. Then I edit the GPX using Mapsource (free to download from garmin, you may have to create a directory called "Mapsource" before it will download) and name the waypoints usefully. Start with a number  - 01, 02 etc - so they sort in order, then use the limited characters to give yourself a message like "R Fork". Then, when the message pops up it will say "North at 001 Ri Fork", quite useful in some situations. Also, if you put the waypoint slightly before the junction you will get more notice. If you follow on the compass bearing, you will see that it very quickly adapts to route changes and points you the right way.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2010, 09:39:17 am »
Assuming it is the same as my 305, yes (as andygates)

I've found that the best way to work (for me) is to plot the route in Google maps, then use Gmaps to GPX (http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/) to create a GPX. Then I edit the GPX using Mapsource (free to download from garmin, you may have to create a directory called "Mapsource" before it will download) and name the waypoints usefully. Start with a number  - 01, 02 etc - so they sort in order, then use the limited characters to give yourself a message like "R Fork". Then, when the message pops up it will say "North at 001 Ri Fork", quite useful in some situations. Also, if you put the waypoint slightly before the junction you will get more notice. If you follow on the compass bearing, you will see that it very quickly adapts to route changes and points you the right way.

But if you use Marengo (as Pippa stated in her OP) you get to name your waypoints as you plot them and it won't allow you to enter more than 100 - which is the limit on the Edge 205/305. No need for editing.

Also there is no need to place the waypoint ahead of the turn as the Edge will automatically alert you in advance of the turn.

a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2010, 01:08:32 pm »
ooo yes. Thanks

Still think it is handy to put the direction change point before it happens in real life, so you get better warning before the junction.