Author Topic: Sticky Toffee Pudding  (Read 3785 times)

ian

Re: Sticky Toffee Pudding
« Reply #25 on: 06 January, 2021, 06:17:19 pm »
I'm pretty sure there was no microwave when I was growing up. There might have been a danger that the rays made food a bit foreign. I think my parents have one now, they're getting recklessly exotic in their old age. We did have a soda stream though.

The tarantula thing was real (it might have been a bird-eating spider). It leapt out of a box of Fyffes' finest at her. Or rather, I suspect, it woke up and thought fuck, where? The east-fucking-midlands? Nooooooo. Kill me now. I think it got its wish. Trust me, the people around there are no more welcoming to immigrants even now.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26 on: 06 January, 2021, 06:47:22 pm »
They sell golden syrup puddings in the shop across the road from my home.

Sainsbury's Basics tinned syrup sponge was CHEAP.
Sainsbury's sell some pricy sponge puddings in plastic basins. I wont pay about £1 per portion to generate plastic waste, when I can throw stuff together for ¼ the price in the microwave.

ian

« Reply #27 on: 06 January, 2021, 09:54:56 pm »
My micro-chrimbo pud came in a little plastic thing. Thirty seconds in the microwave. The internet tells me Mr Kipling does plastic puddings now. The proper ones were (and are) Heinz.

I spent a lot of my life thinking Mr Kipling was a really a cake oligarch and occasional dabbler in the written word. Don't knock it, Captain Birdseye was real.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 07 January, 2021, 01:03:11 am »
Sainsbo's Christmas puddings come in plastic pots and are microwavable.
I ordered one but it was unavailable by the time I had my solstice delivery.
We survived a Christmas without a Christmas pudding.
We had pies and iced fruit cake though.

« Reply #29 on: 07 January, 2021, 06:29:21 am »
My micro-chrimbo pud came in a little plastic thing. Thirty seconds in the microwave. The internet tells me Mr Kipling does plastic puddings now. The proper ones were (and are) Heinz.

Heinz stopped making tinned steamed puddings about five years ago. I went looking for one last year and found out this unfortunate situation :(

My Grandma used to make proper home made ones which were fantastic. My Mum always gave us the Heinz ones.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #30 on: 07 January, 2021, 10:16:22 am »

Heinz stopped making tinned steamed puddings about five years ago. I went looking for one last year and found out this unfortunate situation :(

My Grandma used to make proper home made ones which were fantastic. My Mum always gave us the Heinz ones.

I come from a family that doesn't really cook* so my childhood came out of cans and packets. I am disappointed the great can of sponge pudding has gone over to the plastic side.

In another addition to my tiny little Christmas, I had a tiny Christmas cake too. About the size of a Mr Kipling French Fancy (always a source of familial strife, absolutely no one wants the pink ones). I could have eaten a bigger one, while I'm generally not a fan of the sweet, I do struggle with an addiction to marzipan.

*my grandparents used to boil. I think they started the veg for Sunday lunch on Thursday evening. It was always a toss-up whether the stuff in the pan on the hob was cabbage or snotty hankies. I am not sure you could taste the difference.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #31 on: 07 January, 2021, 01:48:53 pm »
Having been brought up in Kent, the bane of my life school dinners wise was gypsy tart. I only discovered later in life that this was a local delicacy, and people who grew up outside Kent were mostly spared this monstrosity. I think the filling is basically a mixture of molasses and evaporated milk.  :sick:
ditto, and yes, truly horrible
I did find a recipe for it once and it sounded somewhat different.  I wasn't tempted to try making it though

I'd never realised that STP has dates in it, I should read the ingredients one day.  But then I've mainly had the ready-made Cartmel Priory version, available in Booths and Waitrose
Which reminds me, I was gifted a jar of chocolate sauce, must find a use.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.