Author Topic: Meeting Sportives coming in the opposite direction  (Read 2721 times)

Meeting Sportives coming in the opposite direction
« on: 14 March, 2011, 01:35:13 pm »
Last weekend Mrs R and I were out riding and came across the Surrey Rumble coming towards us.  Much smiling, Good Mornings and hand waving for about 3 miles.

This weekend we came across the Spring Onion!  More waving, greeting and so on for several miles again.

So if you are sportiving or Audaxing and an oncoming tandem fails to greet it is not because we are miserable b*****ers it's because you are not at the front of the pack and we have got fed up after the 126th time!

Anyway it's good to see so many out enjoying themselves!

R+R

lemonjiffy

Re: Meeting Sportives coming in the opposite direction
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2011, 07:05:02 pm »
Eveb better when ur riding the same way on practically the same route as
A sportive and tell them ur riding for a fiver rather than 30/40 quid. Reactions r priceless :-)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2011, 07:22:38 pm »
I found myself caught up in a TT whilst out touring once.
It was OK while they were coming towards me, but a bit of a pain when later on the early ones began passing me in the same direction.
I loved the expressions of disdain on the faces of the timekeepers as I waddled past in fully loaded camping gear mode.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Billy Weir

« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2011, 07:49:00 pm »
I've had my photo snapped on more than one sportive despite not being involved.

And had people follow me on an audax route when the sportive route went another way.

I've also been responsible for many misplaced tiny victories, as faux racers hammered up past me on a hill.  Inside I am hoping they blow up on the next hill as a result of their over-exertion for the sake of no additional places on the rider list :demon: