Author Topic: Good luck to the YACFers riding La Marmotte  (Read 6294 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
Re: Good luck to the YACFers riding La Marmotte
« Reply #25 on: 06 July, 2011, 09:52:37 am »
Oh man, that's awful to read DS. Cramps for almost the entire ride sounds horrid. Chapeau for getting up the Alpe at at all with that, must have really taken determination.

Our own rock-bottom last place finish has got me thinking several times about just how close we must have been to the cut off (I still don't know when it was? I guess pretty soon after 8pm). gutting to just miss it.

« Reply #26 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:50:23 am »
About 3 or 4 hairpins from the top of the Alpe, I heard this music and a bloke talking
jovially from the microphone in a car. He was following a rider, a rider who told me he
was going to be the last person on the ride to be accredited with a time and told me to
follow him.

However, I just couldn't, as the cramp kept on returning. I was walking almost as fast
as I could barely cycle. I did manage to mount the bike again just before passing a cafe
on the right and then going under a bridge and making a left turn. I went over the timing
mat at the finish line, but no beep.

I honestly don't know what more I could have done. I had cycled over 3000 miles since
January, including several 200 km and 100 mile rides, taken the Nuun tablets and salt
crystals in my bidons, and was sufficiently hydrated before the ride.

« Reply #27 on: 06 July, 2011, 11:40:05 am »
stay away from horrific hills?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #28 on: 08 July, 2011, 03:49:18 pm »
4 general views from Marmotte '11, taken while I was cycling across Galibier in the opposite direction ...

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

DanialW

« Reply #29 on: 08 July, 2011, 04:15:31 pm »
Last time I rode this climb, I was overtaken by a weatherbeaten woman on a scroggy mountain bike. She had just been to see her mate, and was on her way home.

4 general views from Marmotte '11, taken while I was cycling across Galibier in the opposite direction ...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 12 July, 2011, 02:17:36 pm »
Well I limped round on Sunday, a smidge outside AUK time limits (probably a good thing I didn’t enter a DIY)!
So quite a lot slower than the Things, but I was happy. I’m now even more impressed at anyone doing the route in 8hours-odd, let alone on a tandem! (apologies for crazy font)

(only overtaken by roadies, but I did see a lady towing a kiddy trailer up the Galibier  :thumbsup: )
_________

Nice photos @Francis. I can't compete with that, either!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #31 on: 16 July, 2011, 06:23:02 pm »
I did all 4 events in the grand trophee, fantastic week in the alps, highly recommended, and great value too... 100 euros for all 4  :thumbsup:

rode marmotte in 8:48 (inc Glandon), 22 mins better than last year, thanks largely to cooler weather

posted some photos here...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87831957@N00/sets/72157627206770462/