Author Topic: Strava  (Read 25916 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Strava
« Reply #100 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:05:33 pm »
Traffic jams?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #101 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:16:00 pm »
Pub stop?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #102 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:22:40 pm »
If it's along the front, people probably get distracted by the seaside attractions, and stop for varying lengths of time...  I ignore most of the Strava segments I happen to ride...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #103 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:27:43 pm »
Segments are only usually interesting when they've got particularly apt names, or when you get improbable achievements on them.  Very occasionally someone makes the route of an organised ride into a segment, which can be more interesting.

(Some of my QOMs are more improbable than others.  They come into two broad categories:  Bat-out-of-hell recumbent descending and being the only woman stupid enough to have attempted to cycle a particular COR section.)

Strava really needs a Wowbagging award for being slowest over a given segment, though.  The Dufton weekend demonstrated that.

« Reply #104 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:32:03 pm »
Pub stop?

Exactly. Just had a look at my last ride on Strava, and I managed to average 0.3mph on one 0.8 mile segment because the pub is in the middle. ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #105 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:33:45 pm »
Hmm.  A wowbagging award would really need to attempt to filter that sort of thing out.

« Reply #106 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:37:32 pm »
Just checked, and someone else has averaged 0.1mph. Damn.

« Reply #107 on: 13 January, 2016, 07:55:22 pm »
Pub stop?

My 'best' time up the 0.5km Weatheroak Hill (of which Basil will know) is 2:39:39 (0.2kmh). I'm quite disappointed now I've ridden up it more than 10 times when the distraction was closed and my truly better efforts have dropped off the bottom of the list.

On another nearby segment I was amazed to see my PB was much better than someone who I know to be rather fast. I guess he only went up that lane (now unmaintained and little used having been replaced by a newer road many years ago) for a discrete hedge stop.

I avoided Strava for so long, in the misplaced belief that it would be full of knobs who are only interested in going faster / further than anybody else. How wrong I was, great fun!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #108 on: 13 January, 2016, 08:02:26 pm »
Pub stop?

My 'best' time up the 0.5km Weatheroak Hill (of which Basil will know) is 2:39:39 (0.2kmh).

A mere 1:44:35 for me.  I'm an amateur, though, as I don't do the "Bah! That climb's a bastard, let's have another pint instead" thing.

It gets weirder.  My Strava PR was set on the Brompton, presumably when I was doing the "Will this gearing get me up Weatheroak Hill?" test.

« Reply #109 on: 13 January, 2016, 08:12:23 pm »
The hill's actually most welcome immediately having left the warmth of the log fire near the bottom of the hill on a cold night.

Getting back to Wow's dismay, my point is not even the most competitive of types are out to beast every segment every time. They may sometimes be taking a rest between efforts, going for a gentle social ride with a slower friend, wobbling back from the pub or stopping for a pee.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #110 on: 13 January, 2016, 08:52:44 pm »
The hill's actually most welcome immediately having left the warmth of the log fire near the bottom of the hill on a cold night.

Sorry Saturn.  But you're just a bit weird.   ;)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #111 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:02:16 pm »
The hill's actually most welcome immediately 10 minutes after having left the warmth of the log fire near the bottom of the hill on a cold night, as your riding companions have taken so long to faff with their bikes before you can get going.

FTFY

« Reply #112 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:51:54 pm »
Sorry wow ,back I have managed 0.1 km up crimp hill near Windsor park  ::-) . OK I was towing the trailer full of Camping kit  :)
Not on strava as I am using android device and my Garmin need's to use windows to work apparently .
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #113 on: 13 January, 2016, 10:36:04 pm »
There's a Strava app for Android that logs your movements and automagically uploads them at the end of the ride.  Easy to use, but obviously requires that the Android be on and receiving GPS for the duration.  Handy for short rides and weird non-wheel-based activities.

I upload GPX files from my Garmin (eTrex 30) all the time on my Linux desktop - no Windows required.  You just have to ignore all the Garmin Connect rubbish it tries to persuade you to use and go to the "upload file" option on the Strava website.  Then you just point it at the GPX file from the mounted Garmin.

Older Garmins that don't mount as a USB storage device will be more awkward - requiring some sort of application to speak the Garmin protocol with them in order to download the track and create a GPX file.

(Uploading a GPX from a usb-storage capable Garmin via a web browser running on an Android device that can do USB OTG is also possible, but a lot of faff, and it's generally easier to wait till you get home and use a proper computer.)

« Reply #114 on: 14 January, 2016, 08:57:51 am »
I prefer to take the detour via Mapsource or Basecamp. In this way I can add a bit of extra security by snipping the last and first bits off so even if the safe zones fail my location is still invisible. Same if I visit a friend's place during a trip. Or sticking a few bits together if I want to upload it as 1 trip but Garmin thinks it's a multidaytrip (like PBP).

« Reply #115 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:16:23 am »
Pub stop?

My 'best' time up the 0.5km Weatheroak Hill (of which Basil will know) is 2:39:39 (0.2kmh).

A mere 1:44:35 for me.  I'm an amateur, though, as I don't do the "Bah! That climb's a bastard, let's have another pint instead" thing.

It gets weirder.  My Strava PR was set on the Brompton, presumably when I was doing the "Will this gearing get me up Weatheroak Hill?" test.

Weatheroak. A short 12%.

Just enough distance away from Selly Oak for the warm-up to give it full-out.
Try it returning from a day out to the Malverns and The Kettle Sings,,,

Which gives me ideas for October's populaire.  :demon:

« Reply #116 on: 14 January, 2016, 07:28:15 pm »
I am of course a computer Amateur  :-[ .I thought that I had to go to the Garmin site to get the information on to the web before I put it on anything else .in fact  isn't the only way to take information off the Garmin edge touring is by using their website ? .

« Reply #117 on: 14 January, 2016, 07:41:22 pm »
I am of course a computer Amateur  :-[ .I thought that I had to go to the Garmin site to get the information on to the web before I put it on anything else .in fact  isn't the only way to take information off the Garmin edge touring is by using their website ? .

No - you can upload manually to Strava, though you can also link your Garmin Connect account to Strava and have them sync automatically.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #118 on: 14 January, 2016, 08:03:28 pm »

Your Garmin will appear to your PC/Mac as another drive when connected by USB lead, and you can access all the files on it including your rides, which are stored in the 'Activities' folder. These can be uploaded directly to any logging site you wish to use. However, if you use Garmin Connect, it can be set to automatically share your ride information with a selection of sites such as Strava, MyFitnessPal, Endomondo, RideWithGPS etc. etc. The modern Garmins (those that can connect to your phone) will upload their data to Connect via the app on the phone, or on the PC, via Bluetooth or wifi where fitted (eg the Garmin Edge 1000).

« Reply #119 on: 15 January, 2016, 07:19:39 am »
An! Thanks all :thumbsup:, I will experiment  :)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #120 on: 27 January, 2016, 10:25:17 pm »
Strava reckons I rode about a thousand miles last year, (not counting the miles that I didn't count), which is way more than I would have thought.  I drove five thousand, so really that isn't too bad.
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #121 on: 29 January, 2016, 12:07:24 am »
Looking at strava you are missing most of our Highlands tour so there's quite a bit more distance to add too :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #122 on: 29 January, 2016, 12:56:37 pm »
Looking at strava you are missing most of our Highlands tour so there's quite a bit more distance to add too :)

How can you even SEE that?!  I can't even see my own data in that much detail!   ???
Milk please, no sugar.

simonp

« Reply #123 on: 29 January, 2016, 01:07:34 pm »

How can you even SEE that?!  I can't even see my own data in that much detail!   ???

You have to know where to look. If you click on the week by week bar chart on your strava profile it'll show the rides for that week. There is also a calendar view.