Author Topic: Help With Fuelling?  (Read 15963 times)

Help With Fuelling?
« on: 28 January, 2016, 11:15:29 am »
Really struggling with gels as they seem to rot my stomach. Keep finding myself getting close to bonking on long rides so I end up having to stop and have some real food. I would like to have “real” food that I can eat on the bike. What are you fuelling with?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Help With Fuelling?
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2016, 12:03:33 pm »
dried bananas
dates (compressed blocks of cooking dates, destoned)
nuts
pre-packaged nut/seed bars - 9 bars, NAKD bars etc
pies
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 28 January, 2016, 12:30:29 pm »
Try going LCHF.  plenty of info on the health section

I am sure one of the experts will be along soon (Chris S, fboab)

I can now happily do 100k fasted but have lacked time to go further recently

« Reply #3 on: 28 January, 2016, 12:41:27 pm »
O, I'm not LCHF at the moment. Carb dependant sugar thing, me. I can only do LCHF if I haven't got much else to worry about, and I've far too much Real Life going on.

Real food is pretty much what most people will recommend- I don't really ever eat on the bike. Even now, when I'm all over the chocolate, I can make it to a stop before I shovel it in.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2016, 12:54:08 pm »

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2016, 01:15:47 pm »
Try going LCHF.  plenty of info on the health section

I am sure one of the experts will be along soon (Chris S, fboab)

I can now happily do 100k fasted but have lacked time to go further recently

I'd second that. I'm lchf, typically sub-50g carbs per day, last time I did 70k on the bike that went up to about 90 for the day. Note all my choices above are low GI.

I find 50g OK for general living and midweek 1 hour or so sessions, but need to up it a bit for longer. As a type 1 diabetic it gives me better controlled more stable flood sugars, though I always carry bonk rations. Bonk being potentially life threatening, not just slightly inconvenient these days.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2016, 01:25:56 pm »
Pork pies for me.

Don't do gels or any of that muck anymore. Pointless unless racing.

« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2016, 02:25:37 pm »
Malt loaf.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #8 on: 28 January, 2016, 02:43:31 pm »
Tesco granola tray bake cut into squares and put in a zip seal bag. The stuff seems to be edible for a looooooooong time after you've forgot its in your luggage, quite possibly until the sun goes nova. Can't be good for you but it works for me.

Carry some jelly babies / haribos for emergencies.

LMT

« Reply #9 on: 28 January, 2016, 04:59:33 pm »
Shot blocks or Cliff bars.

« Reply #10 on: 28 January, 2016, 05:08:58 pm »

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #11 on: 28 January, 2016, 05:16:26 pm »
what sort of distance are we talking of. I'm on a LCHF regime, and I can easily ride 60-70km before breakfast, and not even feel hungry. Ok I'm not fast  (prob avg 21km/hr ish) but this riding fasted took a wee while to get used to, but now, if I have a breakfast, then ride , I feel sluggish and tired.  Often I'll do 60-70, get back and miss breaky altogether, and have a brunch instead.

« Reply #12 on: 28 January, 2016, 05:27:28 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I have tried LCHF but it was not for me. I'm fine with distances up to 80K but start to struggle around the 100K mark. Gels are just upseting my stomach as does malt loaf for some reason? At the moment my rides are around 160k but I want to start increasing my ride distance so I can ride 320k+. Looks like experimenting with oats, nuts and dried fruit would be a good starting point.

RichardH

• All Time AUK 979 Pts
« Reply #13 on: 28 January, 2016, 11:32:57 pm »
When I was doing the miles sometimes on a 300k I would have a couple of full English breakfasts. Other foods would be for instance a Cornish pastie, pork pies, beer, raisins, bananas, sandwiches, malt loaf, apple pie & custard, cakes, Mars bars & the like & always washed down with maltodextrin carb solution. Towards the end of a 300k a can of coke & say 2 Belgium buns would go down a treat.
Gels & milkshakes have always been like poison to my stomach.
Strange that a couple of milkshakes the next day used to work as a recovery drink, but not when cycling. Now I'm older milk is a definite no even the day after.
4 x Wessex Sr. Crackpot 1998. PBP 1999.

« Reply #14 on: 01 February, 2016, 07:06:27 pm »
Completed a couple of centuries without gels, just with real food. Oatmeal Balls, small boiled potatoes rolled in Olive Oil and Sea Salt with just a little cheese plus a homemade Scotch Egg seems to get me nicely through a century. :-)

« Reply #15 on: 01 February, 2016, 07:15:50 pm »
This might be a bit radical but what about a sandwich?

Gels are for emergencies only, in my opinion, but should be carried regardless. Small soft rolls cut into half with whatever you want inside, and snacked in every 30 minutes. Dried fruit etc are fine, but are still high in sugar and will upset your tummy eventually.

« Reply #16 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:45:47 pm »
This might be a bit radical but what about a sandwich?

Gels are for emergencies only, in my opinion, but should be carried regardless. Small soft rolls cut into half with whatever you want inside, and snacked in every 30 minutes. Dried fruit etc are fine, but are still high in sugar and will upset your tummy eventually.

Not universally popular, but for long runs (being all day on the Cumbrian fells) I used to break out sardine sandwiches half way through

Seemed perfect to me, if not my companions

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 03 February, 2016, 06:29:43 pm »
Sandwiches are GOOD.

You'll have to experiment with what suits you best.

I believe it was jam for Graeme Obree but other people like peanut butter or ham or cheese.

I like teacakes (yeasty buns).

« Reply #18 on: 03 February, 2016, 06:33:58 pm »
Sandwiches are GOOD.

You'll have to experiment with what suits you best.

I believe it was jam for Graeme Obree but other people like peanut butter or ham or cheese.

I like teacakes (yeasty buns).

Oh yeah, peanut butter and banana/jam bagels are a fave of mine at the minute too.

« Reply #19 on: 03 February, 2016, 07:13:19 pm »
Ginger nut biscuits.

« Reply #20 on: 03 February, 2016, 07:17:00 pm »
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #21 on: 04 February, 2016, 08:27:58 am »
Thanks, better stock up....

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22 on: 04 February, 2016, 08:34:47 am »
Gingerbread, mini-salami, dried banana.  I used to carry crystallized ginger too - eaten together with a bit of salami it tastes wonderful.  Bad for teeth, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23 on: 04 February, 2016, 09:31:44 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I have tried LCHF but it was not for me. I'm fine with distances up to 80K but start to struggle around the 100K mark. Gels are just upseting my stomach as does malt loaf for some reason? At the moment my rides are around 160k but I want to start increasing my ride distance so I can ride 320k+. Looks like experimenting with oats, nuts and dried fruit would be a good starting point.

You don't need to eat LCHF to ride fasted.

If you start with short fasted rides you'll stress your body and force and adaptation where it'll use fat more for fuel. You can increase distance it time.

When you do a longer ride you'll need less food over course of day (you'll just eat it later after you stop). On recent 320km ride my heat rate averaged 63% max (including stops) and while I probably burned circa 7000 calories I consumed in range of 1500-2000 calories ( Icounted accurately for 400km at 2000 calories and it's a very consistent pattern on long rides).

Within 3 months of fasted training rides I was doing 100km with 1000m climbing at 25- 27km/h and feeling fine. It took about two years to get to doing 300/400km rides fasted and using the calories outlined above.

When I eat, it is always of the following list apples, chocolate milk(hydrating and contains sugar with some protein and a little fat), nuts, meat/cheese sandwich, a little chocolate and if tired can of coke 30/40km from home.

Digestion and exercise put demands on different hormonal system, one which call for blood in muscles the other in stomach/gut. Two both together is never easy and some people find it harder than others. Gels on long rides are not a clever option and cause many people trouble.

Given convenience food is primarily junk, try homemade flapjack type foods, you can use oats, dried fruit, seeds, crushed almond the options are endless; mainly carbs but with some protein and fat. You can make in small bite sizes and nibble as needed

rob

« Reply #24 on: 04 February, 2016, 11:38:48 am »
Disagree on gels I'm afraid.

I've used gels and bars as support food on audax for the last 3-4 years.   I fill a top tube bag with them and snack every 10-20k.   this means I need to eat less at the controls, wasting less time off the bike.

On a 12hr time trial I take on 60g carb/hr.   My racing weight is circa 68kg so the rue of 1g carb per hour per kg roughly works for me.   This consists of one energy bar (cut in half) and one gel (I use Torq as they seem to have the highest bang for buck of g carb per item).   I can ride a 100m TT entirely on gels, using 6-7 over 4hrs.   It's a little bit of a weird feeling as your belly rumbles telling you you're hungry but you still feel like you have enough energy to hammer it.

The main thing I wound with gels was to make sure you take on enough water at the same time.   I don't use energy drink but have half a nuun tablet per bottle.

I use the same gels and bars all year round for my longer training rides to make sure that my body is accustomed to them.   I save chocolate milk, nuts and other protein based foods for recovery only.