Author Topic: Does anyone out there use Tacx software happily?  (Read 2338 times)

Does anyone out there use Tacx software happily?
« on: 14 February, 2016, 04:34:07 pm »
I'm curious. As far as I can see it is the biggest steaming pile of ordure imaginable, especially compared to the competition (which there is quite a bit of these days, at one time far less). When you couple that with the licensing policy, it is such a teetering tower of fail I can't understand how they get away with it.

Am I too jaundiced? Is my expectation too high?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Does anyone out there use Tacx software happily?
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2016, 06:18:03 pm »
I've never heard anything good about it. In the last year or so, there have been reviews that suggested they may have turned a corner towards user-friendliness, but they usually prompt a chorus of disappointment among yet another generation of pissed-off Tacx buyers!

The best solution, if you can afford it, seems to be the Wahoo Kickr and Zwift plus Sufferfest, and TrainerRoads.

« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2016, 07:15:42 pm »
Yes, following your recommendation I went down that road a while back.

Haven't been doing much on the turbo in Jan, I've just bought a new laptop for turbo use (among other secondary tasks) and the only way to get the ANT drivers installed is to install Tacx software suite. That is a unique pleasure, hence my renewed pleasure with Tacx software.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3 on: 15 February, 2016, 01:35:38 am »
I'm surprised you needed to do that; my ANT sticks have prompted automatic driver installation like any other PnP device.

« Reply #4 on: 15 February, 2016, 12:20:12 pm »
Yebbut the driver for the "Jungo" made Tacx ANT device is not generally available and not in the Windows drivers. At least it wasn't when I installed the first time. It's not the prompting that 's the problem, it's having the driver. And good ol' Tacx don't seem to see fit to provide support for their kit in the way expected from the rest of the IT universe; you can't download the driver on its own (and I couldn't find it, although I had forgotten the Jungo bit, that might be out there)

« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2016, 08:01:43 pm »
Try installing trainer road.  They seem to provide their own dedicated ANT drivers.

I used to use Tacx software TTS but it was just rubbish.  The latest version which I saw demonstrated in the shop with the Neo crashed so often it was embarrassing as a customer.

« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2016, 08:27:40 pm »
I am using TrainerRoad, and no they don't install drivers. My particular combo (Tacx Genius) also has some quirky ... features, and the new windows version is buggy as hell.

To quote TR tech support (who have been consistently good at replying)
It looks like you're using our revamped Windows app. We are having some issues with the video performance in this new version. We are constantly pushing updates but the video bug is something we're having difficulties fixing. Reset assured [sic], we are actively working on this one!

For now it will be best if you use the Legacy version (older app) for video workouts. They should run quite stable on that platform.

And yes, the old version runs fine.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 24 February, 2016, 09:47:34 pm »
I'm happy with Taxc V4.x software

But I only do very simple stuff on the turbo, no racing intervals prep or any training type malarkey.

This weekend will be sitting watching the rugby
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #8 on: 24 February, 2016, 10:29:40 pm »
The Tacx Vortex Smart is a great piece of kit. The calibration app on my android works really well. I got the bundle that includes all the Tacx software - loads of routes. I've never tried it. It's all about Zwift for me.

If I had the money, I'd get the Neo over the Kickr.