Author Topic: Paris-Roubaix winner on Strava...  (Read 1751 times)

Paris-Roubaix winner on Strava...
« on: 15 April, 2014, 11:01:53 pm »
Quite interesting.  Paris-Roubaix winner Niki Terpstra's Strava for the event...    http://www.strava.com/activities/130432764

Average of 41.5km/h over 255km. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Paris-Roubaix winner on Strava...
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2014, 07:05:44 am »
Quite interesting.  Paris-Roubaix winner Niki Terpstra's Strava for the event...    http://www.strava.com/activities/130432764

Average of 41.5km/h over 255km.

The boy's got potential.

( I only have a Brevet card to prove it, but I averaged about 18 on the same route.  :P )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2014, 09:28:42 pm »
We knew the route, the distance, the time and the winner - what exactly is Strava adding to the party?

(Sorry, I'm a Strava-sceptic).

« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2014, 09:26:13 am »
We knew the route, the distance, the time and the winner - what exactly is Strava adding to the party?

Probably not much over the race website etc.   Though because I'm already on strava (and ridewithgps) to log rides, it also has curiosity value, when you see a pro who just won one of cycling's oldest races, compared side by side with your own general stats.   No doubt later that evening, he sat down at his PC with his edge 500 connected, uploaded, and thought, job's a good 'un...   ;)   I'm not a local cc member, but I can appreciate the somewhat negative strava-induced behaviour in some people, who 'segment target'.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2014, 10:20:43 am »

Actually, I didn't know the route, the time or the winner (I had no idea who Terpstra was!). I do enjoy looking at other people's rides on Strava, and being amazed at the speeds someone like this can maintain. When the route is somewhere I know well, and covers ground I've ridden myself, it's very interesting to compare a pro's efforts to mine and gives a fresh appreciation of just how good they are. Alex Dowsett frequently rides roads local to me, and, while it may be blindingly obvious I can never be as fast as him, it's fascinating to see exactly how much faster he is and where.

S'funny; I'm not interested in how fast I'm going when I'm on the bike - my Garmin is always set to mapping, with no speed or other digital readout, but I really enjoy studying the data once the ride is over.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2014, 01:04:43 pm »

It's interesting for us mere mortals to put some numbers on just how much better than us the pros are.

I follow Laurens Ten Dam on Strava - he posts all his training rides and races. Doesn't actually mean anything, just a bit of fun really.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."